Final Fantasy 16

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
In 1997 there were adverts on TV of a game with graphics and an aesthetic I'd never seen. The ad was fragments of cutscenes from the game. My father also saw this TV trailer and bought a PS1 he was so impressed.

In 1999 I got a demo disc from a gaming magazine with the entire opening sequence of a game. It was incredible and still to this day the best opening movie and music of any game ever. The second demo disc had an entire mission from the game, invading a town with futuristic but modern vechicles and running from a giant mechanical spider.

In 2001 an attractive but mysterious character with giant tits and a belt dress uttered the words "We called it Sin...", with a trailer again with an art style and setting unlike anything I'd seen before.

These are incredible memories from my childhood, games I replayed constantly and own several copies of on different platforms. An amazing game every 2 years and FF9 was there too.

In 2020 we get a slightly modified FF14 engine with cringe Game of Thrones dialouge and people talking in regular in game sequences. A heavily reworked version is going to be out in 5 years minimum. Yeah. No thanks.

I know it's going to be shit because of the emphasis on summons. Summons were always side characters and bonus missions, they rarely played a major role in the game. Summons are what someone who didn't play Final Fantasy games thinks that Final Fantasy games are about.

Chocobos are similar, nobody has ridden one in main storyline since FF5, they are easter egg transport options. Nobody has cared about a crystal since FF5 either. This is dated shit spinoff games focus on (Bravely Default for example).

Then there's the Final Fantasy theme tune playing over the whole thing, I didn't even know the series had a theme until I went back to play some of the older ones. Does this game not have it's own identity?

The only way it could be worse is lazily reusing FF6 Magitec armour like FF14 and FF15 did.

I'm getting Diablo 3 vibes from this where it's basically going to take the place of an expansion for the company MMO and simultaneously tank the MMO since it'll have a content drought.
My guess here is this is ultra early rendering and they may have in fact put art assets into ff7rs combat engine and ffxivs game engine just to get this out in time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rude

Potato del Grande
Pretty uninspiring, not surprising at all. Good news is it doesn't look like the high school self absorbed faggotry from FF15 will end up in this game. Bad news is.. Everything else?

I remember when I used to play this franchise and didn't immediately think it was ripping off other games. +1 for Xbox

Cybsled

Yoshida did a great job with FFXIV and honestly the story in FFXIV is the best story in a FF game for decades. Cautiously optimistic.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Summons are the core of FFVI's story and there are chocobos in every single FF games.
Cool. What do Shiva, Ifrit, Titan and Phoenix do in FF6?

FFX is literally about getting all the summons, they appear once and give you a power. Bahamut does a little more as a plot hook but not much.

It just feels like memberberries from people who never played the games, or perhaps fought them 100 times in FF14.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
The last installment of this game that was any good was Final Fantasy 3

• 3Picard
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 3 users

Needless

Toe Sucker
Lol saying 14 is the best in decades is a bit much.
Shadowbringer is great but it’s still locked behind hundreds of hours of really shitty ARR and boring expansion content

this looks sick though, will def get it on PC

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yoshida did a great job with FFXIV and honestly the story in FFXIV is the best story in a FF game for decades. Cautiously optimistic.
The best story in 19 years from a franchise known for storytelling that hasn't had a good story in 19 years.

Doesn't sound as good now does it?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It literally said "also available on PC"
It doesn't in the trailer they uploaded on youtube that's in the thread, looked into it and apparently it said that on the trailer they've shown on the stream(I wasn't watching). They also declined commenting on it when asked by Gematsu
Might still release on PC and they're keeping the announcement PS5 exclusive until the PS5 launches and stuff due to Sony asking them but could also be the usual "8-12months later releases on PC" kind of deal.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
just make another Final Fantasy Tactics god damn it dude fuck

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Didn't look bad, and I'm kind of happy it is leaning a little more "Fantasy" vs. the weird futuristic stuff we have been seeing.

Not sure how I feel about single party member combat; even 15 had something resembling group combat.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Poor man's Witcher does not feel like Final Fantasy at all....

I know turn based combat is probably done in major titles, but I really think there is a lot more to explore in terms of slower, strategic combat in games and I think FF can create a niche there. Because they just seem to fail pretty hard trying to copy more westernized action oriented RPGs

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Poor man's Witcher does feel like Final Fantasy at all....

I know turn based combat is probably done in major titles, but I really think there is a lot more to explore in terms of slower, strategic combat in games and I think FF can create a niche there. Because they just seem to fail pretty hard trying to copy more westernized action oriented RPGs

I utterly hated the combat in 15 yet I think it was 13-2 had a pretty good system in it mostly. I liked the whole Paradigm Shift thing but the fact you instantly lost if your leader went down was garbage.

I'd like to see a return to tactical combat in FF games again. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and slower but this twitch-based combat does nothing for me at all.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm stunned by how many people are saying that it looks good because of the genre of the setting.

What SPECIFICALLY did you like? The character design? The artstyle? The storyline? The reused FF14 models?

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think people are just happy it's the first non mmo to go fully fantasy since 9. It does look a little bland but what will matter is the gameplay.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm stunned by how many people are saying that it looks good because of the genre of the setting.

What SPECIFICALLY did you like? The character design? The artstyle? The storyline? The reused FF14 models?

The art style and setting looked fine to me, but I didn’t play 14. It’s better than the hyper futuristic weirdo shit they’ve been driving towards for so long. I liked the futuristic/fantasy hybrid up to 7 & 12 levels but 13 took it too far and 15, driving around in an Audi was bleh.

The art style looked fine, like a modern tech version of old summons. It’s the combat that has me not interested. Looks just like 15 but with a single character. Which honestly I’d probably prefer to 15. I didn’t care for trying to manage other characters while I’m trying to spam X and warp all over the place and the same thing turned me off of the 7 remake which is why I didn’t play it past the demo. Single player action will probably be better done than trying to tack on multiple NPC party members.