Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I would say it honestly depends on what you are looking for in the mmorpg genre. For what exists as far as we know, current games do an adequate job of providing a social experience in a persistent online environment. I mean, really, just go to the central hub area of any game and enjoy the fact that other people know each other, in a game.

If you are looking for anything that could be latency dependent (ie, combat abilities et al) then you need to look at south korea, because US games are going to lag behind in that fashion simply due to infrastructure.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
It is my hope that within the next couple of years, the MMORPG market will crash, and then a couple of years after that, the genre will rise anew, like a Phoenix from the ashes, but better than ever before.

We just need some really big MMOs to fail in order to get the ball rolling...
62188816.jpg

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I am being serious. With a few rare exceptions, the current MMORPG industry is "spend way too much money on development costs, then go F2P for easy money." As more and more players become alienated by this practice, the industry as a whole will do worse and worse, until even the whales can't save F2P games. This will create an MMO vacuum, and eventually one developer will rise up to fill the void and that will be our Phoenix.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
I am being serious. With a few rare exceptions, the current MMORPG industry is "spend way too much money on development costs, then go F2P for easy money." As more and more players become alienated by this practice, the industry as a whole will do worse and worse, until even the whales can't save F2P games. This will create an MMO vacuum, and eventually one developer will rise up to fill the void and that will be our Phoenix.
No offense but are you new around here? There was already a ton of money poured into this genre and 99% of them failed. Basically everything you want already happened in the last 10 years. Unfortunately there wasn't any phoenix. Check back in 10 years maybe.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
No offense but are you new around here? There was already a ton of money poured into this genre and 99% of them failed. Basically everything you want already happened in the last 10 years. Unfortunately there wasn't any phoenix. Check back in 10 years maybe.
The problem is that they're still making money. Many people consider games like Rift to have "failed" but the reality is that they're still making insane dosh. The time is not yet right.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The problem is that they're still making money. Many people consider games like Rift to have "failed" but the reality is that they're still making insane dosh. The time is not yet right.
I know Rift is still pumping out expansions, but I hadn't heard that they're making "insane dosh." Mind sharing your sources?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I saw "dosh" as a term when playing Fantasy Life on the 3ds. Is this an actual statement of wealth? Having "dosh"? in excess?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Literally never heard that terminology in 34 years of life outside of one video game. You learn something new every day, I guess.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Maybe the FC house getting destroyed also fucked with the tags? Or did anyone actually prevent that from happening? SE was spamming me with mails to go save my own house, but couldn't be bothered paying a sub just to extend the house for 2months, shit's fucked.
I'll take "guild leadership auto-passed and house kept/sold" for 600, Alex.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I know Rift is still pumping out expansions, but I hadn't heard that they're making "insane dosh." Mind sharing your sources?
No source, but think about it. Trion used Rift as the guinea pig for the F2P model they would apply to Defiance, Trove, and ArcheAge. (Maybe Devilin too but I don't know anything about that game.) It had to have been successful or else they would've went with a different strategy for those other games.

And this is just anecdotal evidence, but I knew people in Rift and ArcheAge who spent crazy amounts of money in that game. They say that 10-20% of the people who play F2P MMORPGs are the ones responsible for 80-90% of the revenue made from the cash shop (whales). If that's the case, then one can imagine how much money those games are pulling in monthly.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
There's a website that lists when it resets the counters to determine if there's room on the server or not. Usually super early in the AM pst (like 4am or something similar) is when it checks. But yeah, the one way to skip having to just wait forever hoping it opens during offpeak times is just to pay the transfer free. Skips a lot of the hassle.

krip: yeah, whales keep all the F2P games afloat for the most part. I know in TOR there's people who spend hundreds of dollars whenever they update the cartel market with some new outfits, or bring back random ones that were gone. Or new mounts, pets, whatever. And there's probably a few thousand of like minded individuals per game, meaning while the income isn't steady, it probably hits in fairly large bursts during content releases. Archeage having the "replenish labor" shit is basically them creating the market for their items entirely for those items to exist. I know Rift didn't have any weird "you can't do this, your cash shop money is low!" type situations, so Archeage is kind of in a weird spot with that.

The EQ xp pots on time locked servers are absolutely pay to win though, and hilarious that they exist. I like it for comedy's sake, but god that's just an obvious cash grab from an addicted audience.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
The whales only spend so much money because they have other players to show their stuff off to. If the non-whales go away, so will the whales.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
The whales only spend so much money because they have other players to show their stuff off to. If the non-whales go away, so will the whales.
People whale out on phone games no one ever sees the result of. People just do what be do

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
People whale out on phone games no one ever sees the result of. People just do what be do
MMORPGs are different, though. With MMORPGs, there is the expectation that one's purchases will be admired by others. The whales that seek that expectation flock to MMOs. If they didn't, they'd be playing crappy phone games as you say.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Some of the stories are not bad, but like any FF if you watch all the cutscenes expect it to be a mini-movie. I'm still trucking through the MQ story somewhere between release and HS, but I have not even tried to rush it. Whether I watch the movies honestly depends on how bored I am on a given night/how much I've had to drink.

Level to 60 with the first class is a joke. I did MQ and side quests and I was 60 before I even hit any of the "level 50" stuff. Leveling other classes is mostly easy, but there are a few annoying little gaps you need to fill with leve's and or if you can queue quickly, dungeons.

Things do get a little bit tougher at the higher end(coming from a non-raider, pub player only) but generally speaking it's still "avoid AE" level basic. There are some pretty hard gear checks though, for instance when i first hit 50 I did a normal group dungeon, wanderers palace or some shit. Well the tank pulled half the dungeon(first time I saw that) and of course I let him die as the healer. Grouped yelled at me to heal, like I was sitting there picking my ass or something, and tried again, died round 2. I'm normally decent or good at MMOs so I was getting frustrated too as I'm sure they were. Well I went back and did it again after getting a full poetic gear set and it's a joke. Little did I know that I my heals were healing for a MAX of like 400 the first time and now my average is like 1100....so there was just no way on earth I could have healed the multi-pull style run people do at the top end. Now I can DPS too with a few heals tossed in.

But insane challenge? No, no more than any MMO. I think the joy of this games comes from the ability to swap/try classes and the FF story. I have not seen anything revolutionary with combat or boss fights.
Have you done Alex savage floor 3 or 4? I dunno about revolutionary but I think these are some of the harder fights I've seen in an mmo in recent memory. But it's not a real apples to oranges comparison , since 'raids" in ffxiv are just 8 people, which in some other mmos is more just a single party. Unless u count the 24 man alliance raids which so far are just afk zergs and wouldn't really count them.
I'd tell you to watch elysiums world first kill of Alex 4 savage but it's hard to appreciate the difficulty from the video. Basically no one has repeated pulling this off in the past 3 months - granted this is largely because there is a semi exploit alternate way to do the fight but I guarantee a lot of hardcore groups tried to do it the ' right' way like Elysium did and failed -- for hundreds of hours on end.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Gordias Savage 4 is a terribly designed crapfest anyways. None of the fights in Gordias are fun except for 3.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Have you done Alex savage floor 3 or 4? I dunno about revolutionary but I think these are some of the harder fights I've seen in an mmo in recent memory. But it's not a real apples to oranges comparison , since 'raids" in ffxiv are just 8 people, which in some other mmos is more just a single party. Unless u count the 24 man alliance raids which so far are just afk zergs and wouldn't really count them.
I'd tell you to watch elysiums world first kill of Alex 4 savage but it's hard to appreciate the difficulty from the video. Basically no one has repeated pulling this off in the past 3 months - granted this is largely because there is a semi exploit alternate way to do the fight but I guarantee a lot of hardcore groups tried to do it the ' right' way like Elysium did and failed -- for hundreds of hours on end.
No, I have not tried that yet. I'm still somewhat noobish in that I have not opened HS yet. I started opening up HARD/EXTREME versions of the original dungeons. And, though I consider this true of any major player MMO I've tried, they are quite fun and reasonably interesting(not always challenging).

Like any new fight, once you learn the mechanics you can basically beat it or not. FFXIV does seem to have some hard gear lines though. Now for tank/heals it's immediately obvious when you don't qualify, everything is just harder if not flat out impossible, but where I'm at it's starting to show when DPS doesn't have gear. Adds don't go down, AE packs take forever, etc but overall it's still neat. FFXIV has all sorts of fights where I've got to pull levers at the right time, click orbs, dodge AE's, blah blah, nothing revolutionary but interesting and fun at least.

Good to know about that 24 man thing. I have a quest for it but I've been avoiding it as I thought it would be a pub nightmare.

Question: In some pub groups(8man+) it seems after a wipe we get a 10% buff to hp/dmg/heals. Is this only for pub groups to help them? Do pre-made groups get it too? Wouldn't anything be beatable after 3-4 wipes with a 50% buff?