Fires of Heaven and our continued disappointment

Do you think it's eerie how most of our anticipated AAA MMORPG games were all cancelled?

• Total voters

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I feel like if GW2 had an actual endgame like traditional MMO's. It would almost be the ideal MMO for todays climate.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
And yet MoP was one of the best xpacs for WoW

Also regarding the male bunny outfits in that screen, that was mostly western players wanting that. There were some vocal people on the JP forums that didn't want the bunny outfits being usable on males lol (originally it was female only)

Yeah, Japanese people are significantly less Degenerate Weeb than Western players are. Western players think Japanese people are like that and want to emulate them, but really they're just speaking for someone else, the way white people always do. Was hilarious watching white people leap to defend The Woman King, then have social media fill up with black people calling the movie bullshit revisionism. Japanese people aren't into what people who attend US anime conventions think they are.

As for MoP, the entire concept started as a joke that was seemingly developed into an exercise in humiliating Blizzard's pathetic fanbase while they sat in the Cosby Suite laughing their asses off "oh man I can't believe we made a whole expansion about fucking kung-fu panda bears and these losers still bought it!"

IMO almost everything in early WoW emulated EQ in some way. Once they stopped emulating EQ (BFA onward), the game took a significant downturn. MoP was kinda a combination of Legacy of Ykesha and Dragons of Norrath, with some Rain of Fear. Joke race, Asian themes, Sha race that lives in a purple crystal fear zone. Before BFA they would emulate EQ expansions as a skeleton, then build something off of it and make it what that expansion "should have been" and so on.

TBC - Kunark
WOTLK - Velious
Cataclysm - Luclin+PoP
MoP - LoY+DoN+RoF
WoD - SoD
Legion - GoD+OoW

Could get into detail as to why these are if anyone doesn't get it. Goes way beyond that though with micro-scale emulation all over the place, stuff like the desert zone that has sand giant "General Husam" and large crocodile "Lockmaw" as bosses, etc etc. Shadowlands might have been a try at DoDH, IDK though, if so it's a vague connection compared to some of the others.

Which is fine, I enjoy all the homages and their attempts to flesh out what EQ could have been. Too bad the game itself isn't great.

Oh, also, in the modern era they're doing the modern EQ thing and remaking their old expansions as two-parters that follow themes from the old one. The "remake" part was only obvious with WoD, rest have been more subtle interpretations of lore and themes.

WoW
TBC - WoD/Legion
WOTLK - BFA/SL
Cataclysm - Dragonflight/? (Something with elemental planes is next, no doubt)

EQ
Kunark - EoK/RoS
Velious - ToV/CoV
Luclin - Terror of Luclin/Night of Shadows

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
EQ and WOW were definitely the best, and I think for an MMO to succeed today, there needs to be a solid merger of the two. One that is less of a grindy time sync but slower gear progression also while having the requirement of solid group content that creates community. In other words, a unicorn that is never going to exist.

Just my worthless 2 cents.
I used to be a big proponent of group-based content, but as I get older and have more responsibilities in life, I just don't see requiring group-based content to progress in a MMORPG as being sustainable game design. It only truly works for the youngest of players (or no lifers) that have no responsibilities in life outside of playing a game. Overtime, it leads to more and more of your customer base leaving the game due to not being able to dedicate enough time to the game.

I think that if they were to move to a design where the majority of the game can be done solo including "dungeons" (not instance runs... screw instance runs. When I say dungeons, I mean like old EQ dungeons... static zones with respawning mobs) with the really cool stuff being in 1 to 2 group raid instances, that would be idea. That way, you can play the game and advance your character, work on quests/factions/crafting/etc that gives your character some above normal benefit for WHEN you decide to go do a raid (like farming rare components that make your spells more powerful or something), and then you can have a set schedule like a Friday night or Sunday afternoon where you and your friends meet up to run a raid instance.

To me, that would be an ideal MMORPG experience.

If I had to sit with LFG up for hours to get a group in order to simply level my character, I would be out. That was ok 20 years ago, but it simply is not ok now.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Asian MMOs have been trash since the very start and always will be.
To you. Again, this thread is and always will be a bunch of boomers screaming around the campfire about their glory days at Polk High and "how it used to be". I'll never forget when my dad first saw me playing Lords of the Realm II at 11 years old and thought computer games were "dumb". He couldn't fathom how it was better than a game like Pitfall. Times change, grandpa. Just because you don't enjoy/"get" it doesn't mean it isn't good or enjoyable to others.
everything is known about them and the leveling / gear process turns into one long, boring Work List.
Yeah, that definitely doesn't happen nowadays in the West with literally every genre... :rolleyes:
Arent there semi popular indie dev MMO games like that? Albion Online? Crowfall? One of those. I mean, the theory is neat. Sort of like an MMO based Roguelike game. Each season, you collect inherent bonuses that arent "life changing" but enough that if you were a lvl 1 fighting rats in Freeport, you would be killing lvl 3 rats instead. Longevity / legacy alternate advancement - a single point a season, and perks that cost like 5 points that add a proc effect to your attacks that scales off level. Max level being the only requirement to get to the seasons reward point, or something. Idk. But I would try it if the day to day gameplay was great.
What Mist described is essentially what the "MMO-lite" genre of survival games has become. A game like Rust can pretty much do everything she described.
I used to be a big proponent of group-based content, but as I get older and have more responsibilities in life, I just don't see requiring group-based content to progress in a MMORPG as being sustainable game design. It only truly works for the youngest of players (or no lifers) that have no responsibilities in life outside of playing a game. Overtime, it leads to more and more of your customer base leaving the game due to not being able to dedicate enough time to the game.

I think that if they were to move to a design where the majority of the game can be done solo including "dungeons" (not instance runs... screw instance runs. When I say dungeons, I mean like old EQ dungeons... static zones with respawning mobs) with the really cool stuff being in 1 to 2 group raid instances, that would be idea. That way, you can play the game and advance your character, work on quests/factions/crafting/etc that gives your character some above normal benefit for WHEN you decide to go do a raid (like farming rare components that make your spells more powerful or something), and then you can have a set schedule like a Friday night or Sunday afternoon where you and your friends meet up to run a raid instance.

To me, that would be an ideal MMORPG experience.

If I had to sit with LFG up for hours to get a group in order to simply level my character, I would be out. That was ok 20 years ago, but it simply is not ok now.
EQ's "pace" worked at the time because gaming tech and especially internet technology was in its infancy. We didn't know any better, because all we had for context were games of the time. It's no different than when an MMO/game releases now, it's almost immediately lambasted as "shallow" or lacking content because it's being compared to other MMOs/games with 10+ years of updates, mechanics tweaks, etc. People only "accept" a certain standard anymore, because our gaming options are nearly limitless in 2023.

EQ also had the fact that social media didn't really exist. Sure, you had some minor things like AOL chatrooms, IRC, ICQ, etc., but nothing on the level of entire social networks like we see with Facebook, IG, TikTok, etc. Internet access was also very limited amongst the US, let alone the globe. Now, broadband access is in the pockets of basically everyone, including dirt farmers in the middle of Africa. So, EQ also served as a pseudo social media "network" during those times where you were LFG, waiting for respawns, waiting for a raid to assemble, etc. Nowadays, people just hop over to Discord and want time in the game spent actually playing the game, not interacting with a graphical chatroom - because there are countless options to "network" now.

I honestly believe it has less to do with the amount of time people are willing to invest and simply the fact that technology has moved on. We want our games to do more things now. Look at the countless hours people pour into shit like Lost Ark, PoE, etc. If the game is fun/interacive enough, people will invest. But, people aren't going to invest in a glorified chatroom just because that was "cutting edge" technology 25+ years ago and now their nostalgic 17 year old self is wrestling with the existentialism of their 40+ year old self, telling themselves that it "used to be better!". The same way I wouldn't expect people to "invest" in a robust VHS collection in 2023 either - technology moved on and there are better options.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The VR MMO that drops while we're all in retirement homes is gonna be lit

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
You can't really focus your game on both at the same time so you're always leaving behind part of the audience. I think WoW started out mostly as a sandbox and moved heavily into the raider category over time. The genre's "roleplay" origins in 90s computer RPGs and tabletop AD&D fell completely by the wayside. Raid focused players kept playing, sandboxers started leaving.
WoW was never what you'd call a sandbox game. It's derived from EQ, and EQ in turn is descended from a category of MUDs in which the world merely plays backdrop to a monster-bashing simulation and players have no ability or tools to do anything meaningful outside that context. The focus on raiding in WoW is just a necessity of the fruitless "elder game".

To you. Again, this thread is and always will be a bunch of boomers screaming around the campfire about their glory days at Polk High and "how it used to be". I'll never forget when my dad first saw me playing Lords of the Realm II at 11 years old and thought computer games were "dumb". He couldn't fathom how it was better than a game like Pitfall. Times change, grandpa. Just because you don't enjoy/"get" it doesn't mean it isn't good or enjoyable to others.
Funny take considering you're just a boomer-in-denial who thinks frantically mashing buttons in the MMO equivalent of a watered-down fighting game is surfing the wave of the future.

The fact is there's very little difference between WoW, whichever Korean grinder Kirun plays his Buscemi-hello-fellow-kids.jpg routine in, and 99% of MMOs made in the last 25 years. They're all sagging branches on the same aging evolutionary tree, depleting the surrounding soil and blanketing the sparse underbrush in its massive shadow as it refuses to die. Until that tree finally collapses under its own weight and rots on the forest floor there won't be any promising new growth, which is really what's at the root of this collective disappointment. No one who can see a better future would prefer to relive the past.

• 1WTF
  • 1Galaxy Brain
  • 1Mother of God

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Ultimately video games are an enormous waste of time.

Especially MMO's, is it ok to take some time for yourself and put it toward you own satisfaction?

Sure, but the average gamer is just and only that. By comparison how many Cinophiles exist, that spend as much time consuming, and not producing?

MMO's are the height of this deficiency, they force time sinks with grinds, and bottle necks.

at least single player games have definite ends

• 2Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Ultimately video games are an enormous waste of time.

Especially MMO's, is it ok to take some time for yourself and put it toward you own satisfaction?

Sure, but the average gamer is just and only that. By comparison how many Cinophiles exist, that spend as much time consuming, and not producing?

MMO's are the height of this deficiency, they force time sinks with grinds, and bottle necks.

at least single player games have definite ends

Not sure what your point is. Most hobbies are a "waste of time" if you for some reason ignore the fun and enjoyment you get from them.

And why is spending 1000 hours between 40 single player games better than the same amount of time in 1?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
And why is spending 1000 hours between 40 single player games better than the same amount of time in 1?
Because maybe in between you’ll stop doing it for 20 minutes, so your fat ass can touch some grass

• 2Worf

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Funny take considering you're just a boomer-in-denial who thinks frantically mashing buttons in the MMO equivalent of a watered-down fighting game is surfing the wave of the future.

The fact is there's very little difference between WoW, whichever Korean grinder Kirun plays his Buscemi-hello-fellow-kids.jpg routine in, and 99% of MMOs made in the last 25 years. They're all sagging branches on the same aging evolutionary tree, depleting the surrounding soil and blanketing the sparse underbrush in its massive shadow as it refuses to die. Until that tree finally collapses under its own weight and rots on the forest floor there won't be any promising new growth, which is really what's at the root of this collective disappointment. No one who can see a better future would prefer to relive the past.
How dare you kids have any fun with your new, button mashing shit games!!! If only you knew how fun it REALLY was back in the day, staring at a fucking spellbook for 20 minutes between each 10 minute fight with trash mobs! What a thrill!

lisa simpson GIF

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Slow

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Not sure what your point is. Most hobbies are a "waste of time" if you for some reason ignore the fun and enjoyment you get from them.

As he said, at least single-player games have a defined conclusion. So it comes down to whether you enjoy being the rat in a maze or the hamster on a wheel (or for our Asian MMO fans, the gerbil up Richard Gere's ass).

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I just turned 50 and have plenty of time to waste on games. I work, I play, I exercise, I have a family. My kids are now older and I get them to do the shit work around the house I used to have to do. I still cook almost every night, I go shopping for food etc.. And yet I still have plenty of time to spend on games. Especially even better now since I work from home 3 of 5 days lol. I set myself up with a job that does not have me do much, but when it does I have to get shit done. Last MMO I was into for a while was New world. Spent almost 700 hours in that game in the span of a few months (During COVID shudowns). I have over 1800 hours in Destiny 2, spanning many years of course. And many single player games of all sorts, mainly rpg types. Its just what I do for enjoyment and escape the drudgery of day to day work life. And when im not playing games I like to watch others play. Games are what I enjoy, even watching someone else play.

Some choose to watch sport balls of all sorts, some choose reading, some choose TV, some choose to drink in bars, I mean most people have their downtime activities they enjoy. I simply enjoy games.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I just turned 50 and have plenty of time to waste on games. I work, I play, I exercise, I have a family. My kids are now older and I get them to do the shit work around the house I used to have to do. I still cook almost every night, I go shopping for food etc.. And yet I still have plenty of time to spend on games. Especially even better now since I work from home 3 of 5 days lol. I set myself up with a job that does not have me do much, but when it does I have to get shit done. Last MMO I was into for a while was New world. Spent almost 700 hours in that game in the span of a few months (During COVID shudowns). I have over 1800 hours in Destiny 2, spanning many years of course. And many single player games of all sorts, mainly rpg types. Its just what I do for enjoyment and escape the drudgery of day to day work life. And when im not playing games I like to watch others play. Games are what I enjoy, even watching someone else play.

Some choose to watch sport balls of all sorts, some choose reading, some choose TV, some choose to drink in bars, I mean most people have their downtime activities they enjoy. I simply enjoy games.
Will Ferrell Loser GIF

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
They can't be dead if they never lived at all. They were cryptids
We had EQ Next's demo thing, where we were able to play EQ's version of Mine Craft. You could collect the items to make a better and better mining pick too! Aside from that...

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
The best VHS movie is still better than some new terrible Adam Sandler movie

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Hm, most hobbies produce something that is the result of time spent. Games, whether MMO's or single player, produce nothing outside of the game.

• 1Picard
  • 1Seriously?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Hm, most hobbies produce something that is the result of time spent. Games, whether MMO's or single player, produce nothing outside of the game.

And a lot don't, so not sure why anyone would think video games are unique in that.

MMOs at least have a social interaction aspect that single player games don't.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
WoW was never what you'd call a sandbox game. It's derived from EQ, and EQ in turn is descended from a category of MUDs in which the world merely plays backdrop to a monster-bashing simulation and players have no ability or tools to do anything meaningful outside that context. The focus on raiding in WoW is just a necessity of the fruitless "elder game".

The rise in APM in MMO's hasn't been able to piss me off. The APM in SC2 however was a disgrace. Professional player APM in SC1 capped at around 100 APM base.

Base competitive APM in SC2 was 300 APM. TRIPLE the APM, really Blizzard?!? That's fucking horrific design and killed the competitive aspect of the game for a lot of people. Which is why when I check my friendlist everyone is playing SC1, a game they can actually enjoy still.

Wait for the Microsoft merger to go through and they announce they have to kill off legacy projects that don't produce money because it's a reason people won't buy the latest garbage.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
The best VHS movie is still better than some new terrible Adam Sandler movie
True.
1682190798193.png

that's a pretty soft-brained take.
I'd argue that games of all kinds, but especially the text based muds I got started on as a kid, have helped to broaden my vocabulary, improve my typing speed, expand my imagination, introduce me to people I'm very close with 30 years later, not to mention the tangential experience you get from things emulate in games, like flying a plane etc.

• 2Like