Fires of Heaven and our continued disappointment

Do you think it's eerie how most of our anticipated AAA MMORPG games were all cancelled?

• Total voters

Ezekiel

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It such a combination of things that I don't think any one thing gets the blame....

EQ was set up perfect in terms of timing. It was presented to an audience who had only dreamed about something like this over the years. Gaming was much more of a family/friend affair too. We didn't have all of the meaningless connectivity that people do today. Relationships mean next to nothing to them in the online world. The people we were exposed to were very local outside of some online interactions (Diablo, Unreal, Starcraft, UO, etc.) so it was very limited and in its infancy. The gaming generation was at a fairly mature age too compared to now. Whether it was the Nintendo generation or Table top, those people were anywhere from 16 - 26.. some even older. People playing EQ probably played Sierra PC games, Zelda, and Diablo. I say all of that to really point to the comment about life long friends. EQ was bringing a network of people who played games to enjoy time with friends and what would even become families for many of us. Gaming today is very rapid fire and serves an audience so broad in age in purpose, the formula simply does not work the same because nothing in its environment is the same.

It's unfortunate because the key ingredient doesn't exist. The time and the people have moved on with the world. That doesn't mean its hopeless but AAA companies want the financial success that MMO's touted for years. They create systems that throw people together, progress through content, provided shortsighted rewards, and a very shallow world. EQ (and others) was a game that just found a lot of accidental success and we benefited from it.

The good thing is the gaming world, especially MMOs, have a decent opportunity because to captivate an audience who seem to like storytelling and online experiences again. Thankfully games like Fortnite and other MMO's have swept some of the annoyances away. So that's why I believe many are failing. They can't take advantage of audience that invaded our special little world any more because they're playing Fortnite, WoW, or whatever the flavor of the week is now. FF14, BG3, and other games have shown that we are still here and we've gathered a decent little following so if someone is bold enough to make a game that is the next evolution of an "EQ-esque" it would probably do very well. However, as long as people keep rolling out these shortsighted games, we're going to hate, the annoyances are going to try it for a week or two, the streamers will complain, and everyone will leave and wait for the next.

It's been kind of sucky to weather this lull but thankfully its been a cultural shift too. Stanger Things, D&D, and I'm sure others can point to specific pieces of media and culture have separated our worlds a little bit and it feels much like the setup we had in the 80's and 90's the created the gaming community EQ accidentally and luckily fell into. So here's hoping for a great MMO in the near future but in the meantime, I'm thankful for games like Tears of the Kingdom, BG3, etc. proving what makes great games and just imagine what would happen if we could put a few thousand people to experience those worlds.
Re: the limited friends and networks we used to play games with; I hadn’t considered that. I started with Dragon Warrior on the NES, alone. Then I played the first final fantasy with a couple of grade school friends. We also read Dragonlance books and D&D monster manuals. By the time EQ came out I was out of high school and already losing touch with those grade school friends. None of my high school friends were into this stuff like those grade school friends were. To me MMOs are a continuation of those early days, before adult life, or even teenage life really.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ezekiel

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My guy, you need to get to a local game store and get in a casual D&D group or a Magic the Gathering Commander group. Those both sound like they would be right up your alley and give you the opportunity to invest as much or as little time and money as you choose.
That brings up a different issue: I actually enjoy the anonymity of online games. I’ve never mixed real life with them. I’ve been to D&D sessions as a kid, but I just couldn’t do it. It was always with older folks and I was never comfortable enough with them as people to sit around a table and roleplay. Also, to be honest, the whole thing made me wince in embarrassment. “Cringe” is how they put it now. Maybe I’m just uptight and ashamed of being into dorky things.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Re: the limited friends and networks we used to play games with; I hadn’t considered that. I started with Dragon Warrior on the NES, alone. Then I played the first final fantasy with a couple of grade school friends. We also read Dragonlance books and D&D monster manuals. By the time EQ came out I was out of high school and already losing touch with those grade school friends. None of my high school friends were into this stuff like those grade school friends were. To me MMOs are a continuation of those early days, before adult life, or even teenage life really.

I've been historically very bad at retaining friends / staying in touch / spending time with people, as a full-on loner. I make friends pretty easily, I just don't cultivate the friendships, or it takes a huge concerted effort for me to cultivate them / even just stay in touch. So all my grade school friends fell by the wayside (despite some of them messaging me on social media as an adult, me being like "hey how's it going" and just not pushing to follow up). Most of my teenage friends fell by the wayside, except the ones I gamed with a lot, some of them I still hang with. And so on and so forth.

Magic: The Gathering and tabletop D&D and so forth also all struck me as a bit "cringey" for a long time. Now they don't so much, but I'd still rather be A) Working with others to compete against a computer or B) Working with others to compete against others. Having a DM and a roundtable of humans doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as battling a cold unflinching machine that won't cut me any slack.

...dunno what the point of this post is, just some musings

• 1Like

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
...dunno what the point of this post is, just some musings

I sometimes wish I could just like...get a snapshot of what all the people I used to play with are up to. What their lives are like now. How have things gone for them? All the people I used to play with back on Cazic-Thule way back when. Sharniken. Gandien. Arbok. Silwenae. Geii. Kilzadi. Kinuvan. Drizzen. Yasp. Munseen. Fazin. Or the people I played with in FoH when I joined them. Modulus. Behemoth. Sean. Faille. Hobbun. Rynoa. Sylvos. Dingaan. Vitae. Chak. Sutekh.

I know the fate of a few. Furor and Melia obviously. I married Fava (and then divorced her). Jerle killed herself.

The rest though? I spent hundreds if not thousands of hours with these people. I just hope they're all doing well.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I sometimes wish I could just like...get a snapshot of what all the people I used to play with are up to. What their lives are like now. How have things gone for them? All the people I used to play with back on Cazic-Thule way back when. Sharniken. Gandien. Arbok. Silwenae. Geii. Kilzadi. Kinuvan. Drizzen. Yasp. Munseen. Fazin. Or the people I played with in FoH when I joined them. Modulus. Behemoth. Sean. Faille. Hobbun. Rynoa. Sylvos. Dingaan. Vitae. Chak. Sutekh.

I know the fate of a few. Furor and Melia obviously. I married Fava (and then divorced her). Jerle killed herself.

The rest though? I spent hundreds if not thousands of hours with these people. I just hope they're all doing well.
That's impressive. I can't remember a single person's name from any game I have ever played. Hell, I don't even know my EQ/2 characters names or even their classes.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
That's impressive. I can't remember a single person's name from any game I have ever played. Hell, I don't even know my EQ/2 characters names or even their classes.

I can remember many of our interactions through the years. At least snapshots of their personality. Moments that will always stick out in my mind. The weird shit we did. Geii shouting, 'WE HAVE DO IT!" when our guild killed the AoW for the first time. The "Kinuvan tantrum flowchart." I wonder if he ever ended up marrying that grandma he'd been flirting with. Vitae and Kay had started a romance, are they still together? Was Sean able to stick to his diet and keep the weight off?

It's probably the only part of old school EverQuest/WoW I miss. Those connections. The games in hindsight sucked. EverQuest was a glorified chat room. I spent more time in that game not playing it than playing it. And for all the good WoW did shaping the world of gaming, every time I do a 'quest' that involves killing 5 of something a 2 minute walk away then turning it to the quest giver for some gold and a slightly upgraded weapon I want to vomit.

But the people...man. Do Zangal and Gandien still live together? Does Chak still love funions? Does Carabella remember the video she sent me of her...doing that thing. Does Bizet remember me throwing up on his girlfriend?

I followed people on Facebook for awhile, but it was never the same as raiding with them. It felt so hollow to be an outsider watching what they decided to put up on the internet. Eventually FB became toxic and awful and it wasn't worth putting up with it in order to get the occasional snippet from someone I used to raid with 13 years ago.

I just want a 'where are they now?' update every like...5 years or so. Let me know they're doing okay. That they're living full and happy lives.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I can remember many of our interactions through the years. At least snapshots of their personality. Moments that will always stick out in my mind. The weird shit we did. Geii shouting, 'WE HAVE DO IT!" when our guild killed the AoW for the first time. The "Kinuvan tantrum flowchart." I wonder if he ever ended up marrying that grandma he'd been flirting with. Vitae and Kay had started a romance, are they still together? Was Sean able to stick to his diet and keep the weight off?

It's probably the only part of old school EverQuest/WoW I miss. Those connections. The games in hindsight sucked. EverQuest was a glorified chat room. I spent more time in that game not playing it than playing it. And for all the good WoW did shaping the world of gaming, every time I do a 'quest' that involves killing 5 of something a 2 minute walk away then turning it to the quest giver for some gold and a slightly upgraded weapon I want to vomit.

But the people...man. Do Zangal and Gandien still live together? Does Chak still love funions? Does Carabella remember the video she sent me of her...doing that thing. Does Bizet remember me throwing up on his girlfriend?

I followed people on Facebook for awhile, but it was never the same as raiding with them. It felt so hollow to be an outsider watching what they decided to put up on the internet. Eventually FB became toxic and awful and it wasn't worth putting up with it in order to get the occasional snippet from someone I used to raid with 13 years ago.

I just want a 'where are they now?' update every like...5 years or so. Let me know they're doing okay. That they're living full and happy lives.
A few of those people are still on the forum, just under different names. Make of that what you will. Just like you dropping off in 2018 and coming back this year. Shit just gets busy 25 years later.

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
The were a lot of folks I liked back in my DAOC days that completely fell off the Earth once we stopped play that game. I've gotten used to it.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Haha, someone from TMO actually replied this week to a post I made on reddit last year, so sent a couple messages back and forth.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Fennin Ro with Ed. Though the P99 version was created by some of our old alumni.
I saw people like Happyfeet, Opalopa, and Edarion - sent a message to Edarion and he didnt seem to know who I was. So I just assumed its some random ass people from Fennin Ro that were probably in some bullshit like T'Kagi Ro that are larping as the real thing 20 years later.

Either I forgot that you told me, or I never knew one - that you were in TMO or at least Fennin Ro. I was on the server till the end of SOV before moving to Veeshan. Booze was also, and Ive met a couple others here that were also on the server. Small world, really.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I saw people like Happyfeet, Opalopa, and Edarion - sent a message to Edarion and he didnt seem to know who I was. So I just assumed its some random ass people from Fennin Ro that were probably in some bullshit like T'Kagi Ro that are larping as the real thing 20 years later.

Either I forgot that you told me, or I never knew one - that you were in TMO or at least Fennin Ro. I was on the server till the end of SOV before moving to Veeshan. Booze was also, and Ive met a couple others here that were also on the server. Small world, really.

Was a Fennin bro as well, though I was a scrub and didn’t hit max level and start raiding until PoP and eventually joined CI.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

Ha, it was actually Opa that replied to me. I wasn't on P99, so I couldn't tell you most of who was or wasn't there. But Galamoth was the OG.

• 1Like