Fitness bands/watches/trackers

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I've been starting to look at these to help monitor and advise me how to better my daily routines to be more healthy. I realize most of them aren't meant to be workout buddys and i'm okay with that. I've pretty much convinced myself to get the Fitbit but i've heard good things about the Jawbone. I will never own an iPhone so the Nike Fuelbands are out of the picture. The Fitbit is supposed to have a really good Android companion app and sync over bluetooth, as well as be natively compatible with a host of other tracking apps. Would i be pulling the trigger too soon to get this? Is there something better on the horizon?

I guess i'm asking do you use a Fitness tracker of some sort and if so which? Trying to make an educated choice.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
as said in the previous threads of fitness bands, i've had 3 generations of fitbit, the latest fitbit flex is awesome (i've also had other trackers).

one, it's waterpoof, i've lost one fitbit in the wash b4.

two, it's a wearable, as a fake livestrong bracelet

three, long life, of maybe 5 to 7 days

four, pair it with a smartphone and it syncs to that phone almost in real time, no more having to take out the device daily, opening a program and pressing sync.

five, even with that, you can install the included wireless adapter and when you're in range of your intended pc, it will sync.

after more than a year of use, my band is breaking, i'm gonna have to find a replacement, that's about the only negative really.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
as said in the previous threads of fitness bands, i've had 3 generations of fitbit, the latest fitbit flex is awesome (i've also had other trackers).

one, it's waterpoof, i've lost one fitbit in the wash b4.

two, it's a wearable, as a fake livestrong bracelet

three, long life, of maybe 5 to 7 days

four, pair it with a smartphone and it syncs to that phone almost in real time, no more having to take out the device daily, opening a program and pressing sync.

five, even with that, you can install the included wireless adapter and when you're in range of your intended pc, it will sync.

after more than a year of use, my band is breaking, i'm gonna have to find a replacement, that's about the only negative really.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dont have any faith in any tracker that doesnt include a Heart Rate Monitor. Any device without one is simply guessing based on averages. It's pointless. Get one with a HRM / chest strap and only use it for your workouts. Your daily sitting around jerking off and walking to the refrigerator should be calculated in your BMR. Use a food tracker like MyFitnessPal.com (free app available too) to track your intake. Use your BMR + HRM workout stats to get your TDEE. If you want to lose weight, make sure your TDEE is > than your calorie intake. It honestly doesnt need to be any more complicated than that.

For what its' worth, I use a Polar RCX5. I have been slowly switching over to Endomodo Pro app on my Android phone paired with a Bluetooth HRM strap.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wait 2-3 years when they figure out the tech on these things and everyone will be wearing one. Until then, they're just glorified pedometers.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone know of a heart rate monitor that works well swimming? Considering how most of them work, I know there are plenty that are waterproof but don't actually WORK well in the water... which is expected considering how most of them actually measure heart rate. But are there any options people know of?
Polar RCX5 is marketed as a triathlon HRM. I do own this, but honestly never used it in the water.

I would give it the benefit of the doubt, as they are one of the top HRM companies out there and it has been their flagship model.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Are these any good for cycling? I am going to start cycling to work and would like to know how many calories I've burnt

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Check outAmiigo | Explore-- it recognizes both cycling and swimming, and you can train any number of other activities. As people train activities, the app will start to recognize them automatically for others... so by the time their next batch goes out (August), chances are the most common exercises will be recognized already.

amiigo-2.jpg

Amiigo: Fitness Bracelet For iPhone And Android | Computer Hardware Reviews - ThinkComputers.org

10483113_730307733679013_3142171503614319405_n.jpg

(From their Facebook page)

Soriak_sl

shitlord
And the amiigo doesn't give real-time feedback on the device. I ultimately want something to monitor my heart-rate and display it near real-time in the pool, the water cools you down so much it's difficult to get a good read by feel, and I have a certain zone I want to stay in.
Could you set up tablets on either end of the pool? If the app is open, I believe data is updated in real time.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks for the suggestions, though neither really are ideal =/ Being a swimmer sucks sometime. The polar seems to actually work, but I see nothing but swimmers complaining that the bands slip well swimming. And the amiigo doesn't give real-time feedback on the device. I ultimately want something to monitor my heart-rate and display it near real-time in the pool, the water cools you down so much it's difficult to get a good read by feel, and I have a certain zone I want to stay in.

Starting to wonder if I should bust out the gear and just invent something for myself.
Tighten the chest strap? They are fully adjustable.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
On another note: after watching Google I/O, I went ahead and cancelled my Amiigo pre-order. Looks like the upcoming smartwatches do a lot of fitness tracking as well, and the Google Fit platform looks promising. Plus, wearing a wristband and a smartwatch might just be a little too dorky even for me.

Guess the money will go toward the Moto 360.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
After a week of having the fitbit it really is motivating me to be more active than i was. Something about the device makes me want to hit the goals, and get to a point where i can push the goals further. It also integrates seamlessly with multiple other apps. I don't even notice wearing it anymore and the only time i've taken it off is to charge. It'd be nice to have a simple heart rate monitor, but for what it is i'm happy with it.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
After a week of having the fitbit it really is motivating me to be more active than i was. Something about the device makes me want to hit the goals, and get to a point where i can push the goals further. It also integrates seamlessly with multiple other apps. I don't even notice wearing it anymore and the only time i've taken it off is to charge. It'd be nice to have a simple heart rate monitor, but for what it is i'm happy with it.
Note on the topic (would add to the other thread I'd started, but since this one although redundant is the current one I'll go here with it):
The first Android Wear watches were released in the past couple days.

LG G Watch at $230 and Samsung Live Gear at $200 - apparently both with all the normal health tracking stuff and the Live Gear additionally has a heart rate monitor supposedly.

Not too many details besides "Fall" looking to be on point on the Moto 360 though. Live Gear is looking very tempting to me, but I need to see the final data on Moto 360 but it's not coming quick enough.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I wonder why no metal straps on these watches, pretty much the norm on grown up watches
wink.png
I'd imagine to keep the cost down - they're standard pin style from what I understand so any replacement band you can dream of should work. (Plus with the body being non-metallic it probably would look out of place with a metal band)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
it's just cheaper to use rubber, plus just pick a hole. with most metal bands you have to bring it to a watch person and have them adjust it for you. (or just do it yourself, but most don't and don't even know how with a 6$ watch kit)

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd imagine to keep the cost down - they're standard pin style from what I understand so any replacement band you can dream of should work. (Plus with the body being non-metallic it probably would look out of place with a metal band)
My memory of wearing timex watches as a kid is that the straps invariable break within 6-months or so. Some of these watches have stainless steel bezels. (I think the black ones might be anodized?)

Shame none of these watches are using qi wireless charging.