Five Nights at Freddy's (2023)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The games are/were very popular plus popular streamers all gave them a go. The next time you're at a chain retail outlet check out the book section. There's going to be a section of just FNAF.
i was in Wally's on Thursday, i wasnt even looking at cool stuff like books or games. i was looking for a goddamned bread knife because i cant find my regular one. and son of a bitch they didnt have shit at Wally's, they got 70 inch HDTVs for 300 dollars, but try finding something you actually need and you're SOL.

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
This movie was pure trash. Plot holes out the ass, not a single jump scare in the entire movie. The games did a MUCH better job with jump scares but I wasn't surprised giving that it's PG-13... Lillard was great and kudos for going with practical effects instead of CGI. Overall, don't waste your money. Don't bother with streaming either. They should have said fuck the demographic of the games and go straight for the hard R. This movie is just disappointing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The games are/were very popular plus popular streamers all gave them a go. The next time you're at a chain retail outlet check out the book section. There's going to be a section of just FNAF.

I'd heard about it, but thought it was just a tiny niche thing.

Regardless, unless it has Nicolas Cage as a mute janitor murdering everything with his fists and a sack full of energy drinks then I'm just not interested

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'd heard about it, but thought it was just a tiny niche thing.

Regardless, unless it has Nicolas Cage as a mute janitor murdering everything with his fists and a sack full of energy drinks then I'm just not interested
That's kind of what I expected with this but it went an entirely different direction.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
“Five Nights at Freddy’s,” Universal and Blumhouse‘s terrifying adaptation of the popular video game, made a killing in its box office debut with $78 million in North America and $130 million globally.

For a $20 million-budgeted horror film that landed simultaneously on streaming (in this case, the NBCUniversal-owned service Peacock), these ticket sales would have been significant by the end of its theatrical run. In just three days of release, “Five Nights at Freddy’s” has already surpassed the entire global haul of 2022’s “Halloween Ends” ($104 million) and will soon overtake 2021’s “Halloween Kills” ($133 million) — which previously ranked as the biggest hybrid releases from Universal and Peacock. And unlike “Five Nights at Freddy’s,” those slasher sequels were from a time-tested film franchise.
Domestic

• Highest-grossing opening weekend for Blumhouse, surpassing 2018’s “Halloween” ($76.22 million)
  • 19th Blumhouse film to open in first place at the domestic box office
  • Biggest opening weekend of the year for a horror film, overtaking “Scream VI” ($44 million)
  • Second-largest debut of all time for a video game adaptation, behind “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” ($146.3 million)
  • Second-best opening weekend for a day-and-date streaming release, following Disney’s 2021 Marvel adventure “Black Widow” ($80 million in theaters and $60 million on Disney+)
  • Biggest opening weekend ever for Universal and Peacock’s hybrid releases, beating the slasher sequels, 2021 “Halloween Kills” ($49 million) and 2022’s “Halloween Ends” ($40 million)
  • Highest-grossing opening weekend for Halloween weekend release, outperforming 2011’s “Puss in Boots” ($34 million)
  • Third-biggest debut for any horror film, trailing 2017’s “It” ($123 million) and 2019’s “It: Chapter Two” ($91 million)
  • Best debut for PG-13 horror film, besting 2001’s “The Mummy Returns” ($68 million)

International

• Second-biggest horror opening after “The Nun II” ($52.7 million)

Global

• Biggest horror opening of 2023, ahead of “The Nun II” ($88.1 million)
  • Highest-grossing Blumhouse global opening of all time, ahead of “Halloween” ($91.8 million)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It hasn't felt like Hollywood has been trying to land scary movies around Halloween for a long time now. The last couple of Halloween sequel films had proper releases a couple weeks before the holiday but that is more the exception than the rule. Cobweb was full of fall imagery and it comes out in July? I don't understand.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Isn't there a Saw 12 or something coming out?

That one came out at the end of September.

I gave this a go. As a kid growing up I definitely saw my share of junk adaptations that were far worse than this made by far more cynical filmmakers. If I was in the proper age bracket and a fan of the series I'd have been pretty happy with it. There's a bunch of easter eggs, the story is trying to work within the universe of the games and it's overall serviceable for the target audience. If a parent got dragged to see this by their kid it wouldn't be anywhere near as painful a sit as what I put my mom through with the Garbage Pail Kids movie but there's also not a lot there for the adults in the room. It's only 100 minutes and it moves along alright with some good stuff sprinkled about but it's just kind of dull.

For some reason Mathew Lillard is in this and actually trying harder than I've seen him try since Scream? Good on him for giving a shit.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That one came out at the end of September.

I gave this a go. As a kid growing up I definitely saw my share of junk adaptations that were far worse than this made by far more cynical filmmakers. If I was in the proper age bracket and a fan of the series I'd have been pretty happy with it. There's a bunch of easter eggs, the story is trying to work within the universe of the games and it's overall serviceable for the target audience. If a parent got dragged to see this by their kid it wouldn't be anywhere near as painful a sit as what I put my mom through with the Garbage Pail Kids movie but there's also not a lot there for the adults in the room. It's only 100 minutes and it moves along alright with some good stuff sprinkled about but it's just kind of dull.

For some reason Mathew Lillard is in this and actually trying harder than I've seen him try since Scream? Good on him for giving a shit.
he will always be Shaggy.

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Didn't get a Halloween month release. Pretty sure that was well over 3 or 4 weeks ago if not 5 weeks ago now.

Doesn't count. It's also on VOD already.
It's so bad that we all literally let the Saw X thread die after 1 post.

That's how much no one fucking cares for Saw movies anymore.