For Honor

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Combat was fun, but unless they add more of literally everything in two weeks I can't justify paying full price. Pretty sure there is another class for each faction, but we need more maps, fatalities, gear options (cosmetic and otherwise) and game modes just to name a few. If THAT is what they plan on selling for 60 bucks it's just a huge slap in the face.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Combat was fun, but unless they add more of literally everything in two weeks I can't justify paying full price. Pretty sure there is another class for each faction, but we need more maps, fatalities, gear options (cosmetic and otherwise) and game modes just to name a few. If THAT is what they plan on selling for 60 bucks it's just a huge slap in the face.

Totally agree. Game was fun and I like the combat but if that's all it was it's a 20 dollar game at most. Want to buy but waiting.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
I enjoyed the beta, but fuck 1v2 is nearly impossible. It also makes 2v2 Brawls easier if you and your teammate just gangbang one of the competition, then both team up on the remaining one.

I played with my roommate, so we were just talking back and forth, really made the game enjoyable. My main quibble is partying is done through the Ubisoft window, so you have to bring up the overlay to group. If you run a multiplayer, then people leave the queue, you get kicked out of the party, so you end up having to resend party invites. It should hold over.

spronk

FPS noob
this should be live in 3 hours from this post 2pm PST

JbbdZ1a.jpg

twitch.tv/forhonorgame

Twelve popular Twitch Streamer Generals (four from each faction) will compete in a live competition with special celebrity guests Jason Momoa, Alfie Allen, Lauren Cohan and more

o Team: GLORY
> Lauren Cohan (The Walking Dead)
> Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson (UFC Champion)
> Dan Casey (NERDIST)
> StoneMountain64

o Team: JUSTICE
> Jason Momoa (Justice League, Game of Thrones)
> Alfie Allen (Game of Thrones)
> Jessica Chobot (NERDIST)
> Sodapoppin

o Team: KNIGHT
> Fairlight Excalibur
> LegendaryLea
> Teawrex
> Lobosjr

o Team: SAMURAI
> Sacriel
> CDNthe3rd
> GoldGlove
> FemSteph

o Team: VIKINGS
> Shortyyguy
> Ezekiel_III
> ManvsGame
> Strippin

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
There was 49k people watching the stream on twitch when it started, might have gone up more as I didn't check after that. This game might be a bigger hit than I thought.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'm going to check it out on console this weekend, I'd much rather play something like this from my couch.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Looks exactly the same as open beta. No campaign, no new characters.

Edit: meant to say closed beta, derp

Last edited:

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I heard free beta. so jumped in on this.

Largely went in blind. knew swords. and thats about it.

Damn this game is pretty. super clean animations, great visuals. and textures. very very impressed on that front.
I did think it might be a kind of team arena or something. expected support classes. Thought the peacekeeper would be one. was a bit triggered its just a rogue.
Doubly so when it was dual wielding. come on. if you are going to have these "sort of" realistic combat and designs. Why have dualweilding? worse, the class seems to be based on parry/counters... so.. why not a fencer?

The amount of control you need to learn before you can even start playing is a bit much. And the game doesnt really send you into player vs AI games well enough. found them eventually, but wish the game pointed them out better.

Started with xbox controller. did not like it. I found the dodge/block mechanics hard to use with it. I also especially hate games that use "push joystick" in active play. and more importantly, games that make use of RT, RB, y/a/b/ AND the joystick. your fingers can not be on RT and joystick at the same time. if your thumb is on joystick, the your pointerr finger is on RB. So your thumb hits joystick, OR y/a/b/x. And, pointer is on rb. you can use index for Rt. Frankly that is also unweildy as the index supporting the controller when pressing y/a/b/x is more ideal..
I suppose I could swap heavy attack to Y.
tl/dr. games that use right joystick for combat are retarded.
I stared using kb+mouse. found that MUCH easier to block/doge with. mostly using the peacekeeper. (admittedly, it did swap to the opposite problem a bit. now let hand/keyboard has too many keys to be pressed. targeting I found to be the first issue.)
rebinding here also likely would solve the problems. did move mouse 3 to mouse 5, for easy thumb use, not stupid middle mouse.

Overall, has been pretty fun. lots of game modes. Not sure I would pay full price. Mostly because of pure pvp game. I have to play shit like aram and the like. Ranked games, pvp games. I get consumed with competitive play. have to stick to casual, so the need to win doesn't interfere with real life. haha. I feel like this game would not be relaxing to play at all.

Caliane

Is there away to attack runners? have had more then a few people, just cut and run. one hit left, and cant kill them, because when I attack, I stop dead to swing the sword, while they keep running. peacekeeper as primary, if it varies.
And, is there a way to break out of a grab? had big viking guy pick me up and run like 15ft and instant kill me, throwing me off a cliff.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I had an absolute blast playing this last night. Animations are smooth, lag is more or less a non issue, and the matchmaking has been solid for me thus far. Game really feels like it could have some legs if they are good about adding new features semi-regularly. Even with skill gaps between you and your opponent you can (in my experience) still beat someone better than you with some luck.

The combat system is by far the best I've played in this gametype. Blocking and counterattacking feel natural once you get used to the controls.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you do both the basic and advance tutorial, then watch the video's for the class you want to play. It shows you a ton of combo's and basic strategies that make the game much more approachable. Also spend some time doing 1v1 or 2v2 duels to get a feel for how to play. The pace is much slower and it is easier to figure out what your opponent is doing. Dominion is much more enjoyable after putting some duel time in.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Vikings are good at pushing people around. It might depend on the class but I know that when I was grabbing last night sometimes we would grab at the same time and neither would grab, similar to Street Fighter. Typically though if they're running at you then you should dodge.

As for running, most classes have an attack that lunges forward so you don't have to stop and attack. The running away cheese is kind of annoying though. I wish they would give someone chasing a speed buff.

I only played controller due to most of the streamers using controllers and saying that was the way to go but I'm going to give m+kb tonight.

I'm really surprised at the amount of depth in the game, decent amount of attacks for each class, some definitely harder than others.

Also I think come Tuesday poisons will be needed. They were nerfed at the For Honor twitch event, so I think this is an older build.

Caliane

yeah. Tried a bunch of things.

And later found this guide list on reddit, which gave a few answers.
For Honor Guides and Gameplay Information • /r/forhonor
Peacekeeper Guide: Stab, Stab, Stab | Forums

I think, the game could do a bit better with explaining timing, etc. Training Bots just stand there and let you do your moves on them. so you never learn how to properly counter, or when to chain, etc.

Even with skill gaps between you and your opponent you can (in my experience) still beat someone better than you with some luck.
I'm not sure how true that is. Might seem that way playing others that don't really know what they are doing. But hit someone that does, and they will pick you apart. I thought I was doing well and coming around last night, then came up against another peacekeeper in 2v2 brawl. Straight up murder. dude was just killing the other guy, then watching me 1v1 his teammate. Then killing me nearly instantly if I won. And vice versa, when it was my turn to face him. 100%-dead. then go watch his teammate dual.
Like, I couldn't figure out the time for the triple stab after a grab. nor, really how to grab 100%. had to go back to practice to try and figure it out after fighting that guy. got the triple stab finally in practice. still can't land it in pvp though. :/ grabs after a parry good. still, not 100% when exactly they will land vs not land other times.
Stab_Stab_Stab.gif

Vikings are good at pushing people around. It might depend on the class but I know that when I was grabbing last night sometimes we would grab at the same time and neither would grab, similar to Street Fighter.
yeah, you can use your grab to counter a grab if timed right at the start. once, grabbed, I think you are in for the ride.

All characters can perform Guard Breaks, but each character's Guard Break is different in terms of the speed at which it is executed, as well as the range of their Guard Break. The method and timing to counter a Guard Break as the defender is always very similar, with very few and minor differences owing to character specifics.

When an aggressor initiates a Guard Break, a red broken shield icon immediately appears over the center of the aggressor's character model. The aggressor's character will then step forward and try to bat the victim's weapon aside and thus "break" the victim's guard. As the Guard Break makes contact with the victim, the red broken shield icon will appear on the center of the victim's character model. The victim's character will begin a transition to a dopey-looking stance with their chest forward, arms pushed aside and head tilted back. However if the victim successfully counters, then before the dopey-stance animation finishes it will instead cancel into an animation of the victim shoving the aggressor away.

Chasing runners. The guide above for peacekeepers says this:
  • Dashing Thrust crushes fleeing enemies. The input is a big clunky, but sprint after someone, then press guard mode and the Dashing Thrust input. You'll fly into their back for great damage. Repeat as needed until they realize they cannot get away.
Haven't had one since to actually test it. Its a bit complicated. Dashing thrust requires block mode. So you need to run up to them, swap to block mode, which slows you down, then instantly do the thrust. I would think it would miss alot unless they were running in a straight line.

Some of my main concerns are hinting at above. The entry level skill req is very high, I feel. you need to know hidden priorities. the skill combos of every class, etc. just to START playing.
I feel like if I did get this. I could not take breaks and start playing again like I can in LoL, mobas, Tf2, etc.

I'd like to see a trainer that helps you with timing. And possibly a helper UI, that puts combs/moveset up on screen in a hud overlay.

A play of the game system might be great as well.

Last edited:

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
Trump.jpg

Does anyone have a better Trump emblem?

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Played it for the first time this morning and it's as much frustration as it is fun. When everything is working it's excellent, the problem is it only works about half the time. The matchmaking is garbage, I've gotten kicked mid game multiple times, I get "matchmaking not ready" errors which require a full game reboot to fix, and bots suck to play with and against. Overall you spend more time in menus than actually playing the game. If they fix the issues it's a no brainier buy, but until they prove as much I'm steering clear.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I also had issues with the controls, I can't move fast enough between weapon direction and guard break. I think if they'd made guard mode a toggle instead of holding then on a controller you could use the left button and trigger.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I had problems too, but I played a couple hours of infinite bot sessions and would just practice a single move over and over until I got it, then I'd move on to the next and repeat until I got it all down. This game, man. It's probably the most fun I've had playing any game in a long time, but it's a technical mess. I really hope they hash out these issues because it's so fun and I can see myself putting a ton of hours into this thing.