France Vacation

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
Heading to France with the wife in September. Have the locations/attractions booked out but are in dire need of restaurant recommendations and particularly good places to get exceptional wine by the glass.

Current Schedule is:

Paris - 4 Days
Avignon - 5 Days
Beaune - 4 Days

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
I only know Paris, but really the only thing I can tell you is to look for places off the beaten path (not so easy in Paris) with French-only menus. That means stay the fuck away from Champs Elysee and the area around the Eiffel Tower. Zen near the Opera (the old one) is great Japanese food that won't cost you a ton of money. That's the only restaurant name that I can remember. Every other great meal I had in Paris was just in little corner restaurants away from bigger tourist attractions.

The main street that leads up Montemartre from the Place de Clichy has a wine shop (to buy your own bottles), a butcher, patisserie, vegetable stand and cheese shop all on the same block. Every store is exceptional and that'd be a great place to put together your own lunch. It's easily accessible from the 13 line (the 13 north of Place de Clichy is a fucking nightmare though so don't miss the stop). If there's something you'd still want to pick up that isn't available on that street then head back down the hill to Place de Clichy and head south for a block until you see a directional sign that says "Stalingrad." Walk another block down that street and there's a "supermarket" (like 5 aisles) that has whatever else you'd need.

Sorry that I can't be more specific with street names, but it's been awhile.

For wine just ask the waiter for recommendations. They're all fucking experts there.

woot!

Trakanon Raider
Some of my favourite restaurants in Paris.

-Frenchie : 5-6 rue du Nil. Open only in the evening, and closed sat and sundays. There is only one menu, which changes with the seasons. You get to choose between two starters, two main courses, and two deserts. You can add some extras like foie gras (and you should ! it's excellent). Follow the sommeli?res's advices, they know their stuff. Expect a bill of something like 100/120 euros if you get a different glass of wine with each dish. Good luck with making a reservation though, the place is not big so sometimes it can take up to two month to get a table. They speak english, call them and see if you can get in, it's worth it (call between 4 and 7pm (utc+1) from monday to friday.
Note : they have 3 different places in the same street, make no mistake, each is very different ! "Frenchie" (this is where you should go), "Frenchie to go", which is a deli, and "Frenchie-wine-bar" (don't go there, it's overcrowded, and their staff (different from the staff of the Frenchie "Restaurant") can be quite grumpy)

-Verjus : 52 Rue de Richelieu (right next to the Jardins du Palais Royal). Different setting/atmoshpere, but kind of following the same principle : open only in the evening, there is a set menu (7 course), changes with the season, they have an option "accord mets&vins", which means that with each course, they will bring you a glass of wine they think fits the best. About in the same price range. The waitresses all speak english perfectly. Calling 1 or 2 weeks ahead of time should be ok.

You didn't say anything neither about your budget, nor about your "level of wine-knowledge" ; but since you talked about "exceptional wines", if you want to take it up a notch, you should try "Passage 53". It's a two star Michelin (and honestly, it's better than some 3*, I think the main reason why they don't have more is that the place is so small : only 20 seats), you don't get to choose anything (aside from the wine), but who cares, everything is amazing. It's french food, cooked to the perfection by a Japanese chef (Sato Shinichi). Go there for lunch (think 3 hour lunch) since the other two restaurants I talked about are evening-only. Depending on what you take for wines and how much you drink, the final bill can range from around a 100 to thousands of euros.

I kind of hesitated about talking about the following one -not because it's not good, they serve some of the best beef you can find- but mainly because the food is not that original, and to me, if you are going on vacation in France, you might as well try some stuff you can't find at home.
But if you happened to find yourself craving for some delicious beef anyways, try : Le Beef Club (58 Rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau). The wine selection is very large, and ranges from 30-somehting to +1500e per bottles, but I am not really found of their sommeliers, so it's better to go there if you know precisely what you want for wine. If you like "steak-tartare", you have to try theirs (it is "au couteau", with a hint of islay malt), otherwise the "filet de boeuf" is just excellent.
You can get a table easyly if you plan on going there at the begining of the week, or need to book a week ahead (or more) for a friday/saturday night.

At last, not a restaurant, but a place where you should go if you want to do some wine-tasting, or even just to take a look at their amazing wines : Les Caves Legrand (1 rue de la banque)
I hope this helps !

PS : Don't buy wine in Paris (aside from what you'll be drinking at restaurants) if you go to Burgundy. Get your bottles there, it will be much cheaper, and you can go wine-tasting in a lot cellars.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'd suggest going in Alsace as well if you're on a wine tour. Around Colmar in villages like Eguisheim. Some of the prettiest wineyards and villages in France. The wine is also quite special. Get some Gewurzt, grain noble or ice wine. The food is also interresting, german-like.

woot!

Trakanon Raider
I'd suggest going in Alsace as well if you're on a wine tour. Around Colmar in villages like Eguisheim. Some of the prettiest wineyards and villages in France. The wine is also quite special. Get some Gewurzt, grain noble or ice wine. The food is also interresting, german-like.
That's a great advice ! Alsace is a beautiful region, Strasbourg is a really nice place to spend a few days and visit. And as Gurgeh said, they have the "route des vins" (lit. "wine road") that takes you through a whole bunch of villages that produce wine (the region is known for it's variety of white wines) and great food to go along with it. Expect to gain a few pounds as it's mostly very rich stuff
tongue.png

rrr_img_74521.jpg

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
CnCGOD, I just came from Paris on a honeymoon and I found that many of the restaurants there are not good at all. However, there was one specific restaurant that had mouthwatering food that was literally orgasmic.

Le Tournebievre, Paris - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

PLEASE GO TO THAT RESTAURANT. Not expensive, cocktails are nice, and the food is OH MY GOD GOOD.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
Thanks a ton for the recommendations, and yes we plan to taste our way through Burgundy and Provence with guided highend tasting tours (so we get into the good grand cru and premier cru ones). We left off Alsace this year, it will be part of our German trip next year. We are mostly red fanatics (Pinot makes up 90+ bottles of our collection) but aren't as up on French producers as we would like to be... hoping to change that. I will post some restaurant reviews when I get back.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
Just to give more context, we are pretty serious wine fans but mostly know American and Italian with depth. We tend to educate ourselves on wine by visiting the region and finding out what we like best and then getting deep knowledge to be able to pick what we like out at a wine ship.