Funny, Strange, Random Pics

Szlia

Why would thousands of birds be in the desert? I doubt migrations cut through the desert too...

rrr_img_74553.jpg

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Why would thousands of birds be in the desert? I doubt migrations cut through the desert too...

rrr_img_74553.jpg
I'm pretty sure that only shows waterfowl like ducks, geese, rails and gallinules since the 4 flyways are designated by the USFWS for migratory waterfowl management. That doesn't include non game migratory birds and what we call in the business "dicky birds" lol. Ie songbirds and whatever else.

Also a good portion of the Central flyway cuts thru the great basin and Chihuahuan desert where it cuts thru the extreme western edge of TX and continues down into Mexico. And like I said, that's just waterfowl migration.

chides6a.gif

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Here?

How much water does it take to maintain a gold course in the middle of the desert.... or is the fairway made of tiny cacti?
I'm definitely not a tree-hugger, but this makes zero sense to me as well. And it's not only by Vegas of course, think about all the damn golf courses around Phoenix, California, New Mexico, etc. All are drawing off the Colorado River basin which is in a shitload of trouble.

Attachment 74558

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
The daily mail is like fox news upped by an order of magnitude and read by old brits every morning instead of watched by old americans every night

Daily_Mail_080413.jpg

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
No where in the article does it say any birds are actually killed, just that "experts" "estimate" 30k are killed a year. I wouldn't trust the Daily Mail on anything.
The people that run the damn solar farm acknowledge that at least 1000 are killed a year from it which of course means most likely many more are in fact being killed.

And okay, how about ABC news?

Emerging Solar Plants Scorch Birds in Mid-Air - ABC News

Wall Street Journal?

Spontaneous Solar Combustion - WSJ

Gizmodo?

Solar Power Company Wants to Make Up For Frying Birds By Neutering Cats(the whole cat thing made me lol, well played on their part)

They are all terrible sites I'm sure too.

kHxfEVa.gif

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Well that species is doomed to failure. I wonder if we could use some kind of magnetic or sonic device to discourage them from flying in the danger zone. It couldn't use that much power. Birds are very sensitive to magnetism. It's how they migrate.

6DZ5jLU.jpg

~oblig

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Birds dying, yo. Better just keep burning our unlimited supply of coal and shit.

UEcXVee.png

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm definitely not a tree-hugger, but this makes zero sense to me as well. And it's not only by Vegas of course, think about all the damn golf courses around Phoenix, California, New Mexico, etc. All are drawing off the Colorado River basin which is in a shitload of trouble.

Attachment 74558
Lake Mohave is getting pretty small. No worries.
IMG_1460.jpg