Gamasutra Article - "The Top F2P Monetization Tricks"

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I really miss the days when you bought a cartridge and that was that.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This is why I stay away from these games. Even though I did spend some cash in them before, (PaD, Marvell Puzzle Quest) this is why I tend to stay away. They usually get me by stopping my progress. Like in order to continue playing this game now, when you actually want to play it, it will cost you $5. If not you can just wait the 4-8 hours until your shit is refreshed. Well I want to play the fucking game NOW, not later, fuck! PaD did get me many times with the jackpot egg rolls too.

I see my kids now playing tablet games and its the same shit, "Dad, can I have $10?" I just tell them, wouldn't you rather have an entire new game from steam for $10? rather than spending it on some worthless pixels? I made a rule in the house "No in game purchases at all, whatsoever, never! Dont even ask!"

It truly is a shitty route these game makers are taking now. Its no longer about buying a game and playing it and having fun, but how can we make thislooklike a game to fleece as much money from people as we possibly can with our psychological bullshit scams.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
wargames_chess_request.jpg

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Win!!

I will not play games designed like this. I would rather just go ahead and play the Georgia State Lottery if I want to throw away money. At least a small portion of that goes back into the education system. I am actually surprised gaming companies have not taken this to the next level and claimed that a portion of the proceeds go to charity. This is yet another psychological crutch that would make players feel as though it were justified to spend money on a game over and beyond the initial game.

splok_sl

shitlord
I really miss the days when you bought a cartridge and that was that.
Part of me wants to agree with this, but then I remember saving up money for that NES cart and then realizing that the game sucked. Man, that was a shitty feeling. As big of a scam as people tend to think microtransactions are, at least you're only spending money on games that you enjoy playing. It's a little amazing that we end up believing that paying $60 before we know if we'll like a game is seen as the most fair business model. I've spent >$60 on maybe two microtransaction-based games, but I played the shit out of those games. I can't even count the number of $60 games that I've bought over the years that just collected dust.

I'm pretty sure that1.3 Milllionpeople wish that Colonial Marines would have been a F2P game...

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
If you buy (or ever bought) a game that sucked, it is (was) your own fault. I can only remember a few games that I regretted buying, and that wasn't necessarily because they sucked. This is especially true nowadays with the prevalence of review sites, forums, and other instantaneous feedback about games you have only yourself to blame if you buy a shitty game.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If you buy (or ever bought) a game that sucked, it is (was) your own fault. I can only remember a few games that I regretted buying, and that wasn't necessarily because they sucked. This is especially true nowadays with the prevalence of review sites, forums, and other instantaneous feedback about games you have only yourself to blame if you buy a shitty game.
You clearly have no memory of what gaming was like up to the n64/ps1 era. Nothing worse than finding out that game you rented was utter shit. Waste of a weekend. Pc was worse because file sharing was non existent(bbs don't count) and you couldn't rent them to atlleast try them out.

Szlia

Pc was worse because file sharing was non existent(bbs don't count).
It might have depended of where you were... I kinda left computer gaming behind when the Amiga and Ataris ST faded in favor of PC, but during the 16-bit computer era everything was pirated and shared physically. There were many 'copy parties' and every gamer knew a guy who knew a guy (and 99% of the time money was not involved). I am not sure why it would have stopped with the PC.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
You clearly have no memory of what gaming was like up to the n64/ps1 era. Nothing worse than finding out that game you rented was utter shit. Waste of a weekend. Pc was worse because file sharing was non existent(bbs don't count) and you couldn't rent them to atlleast try them out.
We knew what games were awesome (and what games we weren't getting stateside) thanks to the best magazine in the business:GameFan.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It might have depended of where you were... I kinda left computer gaming behind when the Amiga and Ataris ST faded in favor of PC, but during the 16-bit computer era everything was pirated and shared physically. There were many 'copy parties' and every gamer knew a guy who knew a guy (and 99% of the time money was not involved). I am not sure why it would have stopped with the PC.
Exactly.
On top of that the best games were the ones that got shared the most/fastet which ensured the best games were played the most. For free.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is growth, this is capitalism, this is why we need millions of stupid people. Smart people would never throw their money on shit like that. Can you really justify paying someone anything above minimum wage if he puts it in a savings account instead of pissing it away on overpriced consumer products that will have no real value anymore in 3-6 months? Corporate greed has reached the gaming industry a while ago, and now it learned even more tricks.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
King.com's Candy Crush Saga is designed masterfully in this regard. Early game play maps can be completed by almost anyone without spending money, and they slowly increase in difficulty. This presents a challenge to the skills of the player, making them feel good when they advance due to their abilities. Once the consumer has been marked as a spender (more on this later) the game difficulty ramps up massively, shifting the game from a skill game to a money game as progression becomes more dependent on the use of premium boosts than on player skills.
I find this pretty funny especially since they run a lot of RL money tournaments, and by saying this, he has completely admitted to running a gambling operation where chance trumps skill to determine the outcome of games, which is highly illegal in several states.

Most states are fine with paying something of value to play a game to get something of value in return, as long as the game passes theskill dominance test. His own quote above would make those games completely fail the test.