Gaming Keypads/Gameboards

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You don't actually use them in place of your keyboard I don't think. I always thought they were just an accessory to get more buttons...

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Does anyone use them?

Being on this board, its obvious I play mostly MMO's, and Diablo 3. Is there any advantage to having one over using a keyboard?

Amazon.com: Logitech G13 Programmable Gameboard with LCD Display: Electronics

Amazon.com: Razer Tartarus Gaming Keypad: Electronics

Amazon.com: Razer Orbweaver Mechanical PC Gaming Keypad: Electronics

Thanks for the input/advice!
I use the g13 for gaming and will never go back to a keyboard again. You still need your keyboard for everyday typing and shit and for messaging in MMO's. For actual gameplay and movement nothing beats the G13. I also tried the nostromo and the thumbstick was horrible.

Zitar

Silver Knight of the Realm
I've used them in place of a keyboard in EQ/WoW/D3/Wildstar ect. Only a plus if you use the joystick for movement, but if you do it makes firing off hotkeys much easier. The N52 and razer clones are more comfortable to me during long sessions than a keyboard. I used a N52 in EQ/WoW and loved it. Tried the G13 and the joystick and key layout didn't work well for me. I use the orbweaver now. It is a N52 with an extra row of keys, a much better joystick, and is very adjustable. However Razer's software is shitty with their cloud bullshit. I have huge hands, easily palm a basketball, so you should probably take that into account. If you have smaller hands the Tartarus may work better and just use modifiers to make up for less keys like with the N52.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Thanks for the replies! Right now I have a logitech keyboard, and razer mouse (I don't like logitechs mice). I tend to lean towards logitech these days but getting an opinion from both sides is very appreciative.

Abefroman, what kind of stats are shown on the LCD? Does it show stats for every game you play?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Shows what I fucking know... lol. Sorry Vinyard.

Never knew it was something to replace the keyboard when playing.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I've used the n52 since at least some time before WoW came out, and now use the Tartarus. I use it for pretty much every game I play, and some of my work tools, and really can't do without one. From what I understand the different gamepads you listed are are all good and it is mostly a matter of your morphology/preference.

I didn't find the extra row of keys on the Orbweaver very usable, but then again I have relatively small hands, so that might be a part of it, or it might just be what I am used to. The Orbweaver has CherryMX mechanical keys, which high quality and very nice to use. The downsides are that it is much more expensive than the Tartarus and takes up more space on your desk (if that matters to you, it matters to me because I am a bit of a neat freak). I went with the smaller/cheaper one, but either are good.

I briefly used the G13 and didn't like it very much. I don't think the LCD screen is all that useful, and the thing is huge. I also found the thumbstick would hurt my thumb after using it for not very long. Ultimately, for me, the shape was much less comfortable to use but that might again be on account of my morphology and what I am used to.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Shows what I fucking know... lol. Sorry Vinyard.

Never knew it was something to replace the keyboard when playing.
In theory you could use it like that as well, but if you just want some extra Macro keys a better option is probably a more normal looking programmable keyboard.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Do the razer ones have that signature annoying clickity noise that goes with it?
You mean theCherry MX mechanical switches? The Orbweaver has them, the normal version has the Blue ones and the "silent" model has the Red switches. I believe the blue ones are the especially loud ones, but you can Youtube for some sound comparisons of the switches.

The Tartarus has normal membrane switches like most keyboards. They still feel good mind you, on par with a high quality "non-mechanical" keyboard.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
pimp your keyboard

mechanical keyboard cherry gonskeyboardworks custom keyboard - www.gonskeyboardworks.com

2grXW8M.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i have a cherry mx modded nostromo n52, which is basically what the razer orbweaver is.

i don't know how the software is for the orbweaver, all i know is that ever since razer aquired belkin (or just the nostromo) ppl have said the software is ass

i don't even use it for gaming, tho it's great for FPS, i can't FPS anymore i'm an old dog and it gives me motion sickness, but i use the gamepad to program macro's for work.

i'm all about ergonomics, the nostromo is about the nicest feeling gamepad imo.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
i have a cherry mx modded nostromo n52, which is basically what the razer orbweaver is.

i don't know how the software is for the orbweaver, all i know is that ever since razer aquired belkin (or just the nostromo) ppl have said the software is ass

i don't even use it for gaming, tho it's great for FPS, i can't FPS anymore i'm an old dog and it gives me motion sickness, but i use the gamepad to program macro's for work.

i'm all about ergonomics, the nostromo is about the nicest feeling gamepad imo.
The current software is leagues better than the craptastic N52te software, but probably not as simple, nice, and self contained as the old Belkin software. If you aren't still using the old model though the software is certainly an upgrade.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Found out this week I have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder that requires surgery. I will have to keep my arm immobile in a sling for 4 weeks. I'm right handed so that means its going to be difficult, perhaps impossible, for me to use a mouse during that timeframe.

I've never used any kind of game pad or controller for MMOs so I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion. I assume if I can hold it in my lap then I would be able to use my right hand for input control.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Found out this week I have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder that requires surgery. I will have to keep my arm immobile in a sling for 4 weeks. I'm right handed so that means its going to be difficult, perhaps impossible, for me to use a mouse during that timeframe.

I've never used any kind of game pad or controller for MMOs so I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion. I assume if I can hold it in my lap then I would be able to use my right hand for input control.
Get a trackball. This looks good for you. Wireless so you can just put it anywhere that will not fuck up your shoulder.M570 Wireless Trackball - Logitech

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Get a trackball. This looks good for you. Wireless so you can just put it anywhere that will not fuck up your shoulder.M570 Wireless Trackball - Logitech
Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried trackballs in the past but I always went back to the mouse since using a mouse came more natural to me than a trackball.

If it was between a trackball and a G13, would you still recommend a trackball? The control stick on the G13 seems like it would be usable with my arm in a sling.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried trackballs in the past but I always went back to the mouse since using a mouse came more natural to me than a trackball.

If it was between a trackball and a G13, would you still recommend a trackball? The control stick on the G13 seems like it would be usable with my arm in a sling.
I'm confused now. A g13 would replace your keyboard not the mouse. I suppose you could use the thumbstick as a mouse pointer but never tried or wanted to. If you are looking to totally take your right arm out of the mix I guess the g13 would be your best bet.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
A warning on the G13, from my experience most games don't support it as a joystick and it's only useful as WASD. Additionally it's not a very good joystick. Also using the joystick with your right thumb is impossible

If you can't move your mouse hand get a trackball. If you can't move your keyboard hand get the g13.