Gears of War 5

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I'm playing it because it comes with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate which I, and like a million other people, got for $1 for two years with the E3 special. I've never managed to play a Gears game before because I found the overall controls so awkward, but I've done alright so far.

Im less wild about some of the characterization / plotline elements but since I'm only in ACT 2 I'll reserve judgement for later. All told I would never pay for the thing, but since its free...

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
The controls don't lend themselves to jump and spin around flinging ice lances. If you know what I mean.

There's some weight to the chars and movements are strategic and not super instant lulz mode.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i've never been a huge fan of the gears combat mode, it just feels slow and lumbering compared to every other FPS. Still better than GTA/RDR i guess. I'm not super motivated to really play that much, I get bored after 30 mins, but it does look super pretty on PC. For a game that should be right up my alley on sci fi, aliens, distant worlds, weird magical shit going on, etc it all feels so cliche.

this meme made me laugh though, its so true in gow 4 and 5. also fuck collectibles that are just dog tags, that is lazy as fuuuuuuuck

g6nt4uoelhl31.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I can empathize with this because you know everytime you are encouraged to rush that there is some collectible or JACK upgrade hidden nearby. The quasi-open world nature in ACT 2 where you can find side-quests is a bit of a departure from what I always thought of as a very linear series.

I think my biggest beef with the combat, other than the 'oh god I'm nearly dead... let me wait for 3 seconds and I'll be fine' type of non-health-bar content, is how freaking inaccurate the weapons are. I'm a guy who looks like he clocks in at a solid 275 with hamhocks for hands even before he puts on his power armor and yet firing this gun has such extreme recoil that its almost impossible to hit anything more than 20m away.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I’ve played through all the older Gears games and I don’t remember the recoil being this bad, but I admit it’s been a while and maybe I’ve been spoiled by other games. Been sticking to just short bursts of fire, otherwise yeah, I can’t hit a fucking thing.

Game is fucking gorgeous though. We went through most of act I last night with a friend online doing 3-player. Been fun so far, though my god I still feel so clunky trying to get in and out of cover. I really wish the sprint and cover buttons were separated (I keep habitually tapping the left stick to sprint like in BL).

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I aint crying just got something in my eye honey!

When Jack sacrifices himself

These gears scenes with the music are great.

spoilered for those that want to play Gears 1-4 first.

Last edited:

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Nah i mean 3 of us got it for campaign but i guess we didnt pay attention to the fact someone would end up being jack full time. Oh well fortunately it came with game pass and borderlands comes out in a few days. Jack may be somewhat ok but its nothing like a full blown character and diminishes the experience. Oh well we'd stopped buying gears anyways when they reduced the co-op number count so in the end 2 bucks spent to dodge a bullet. The game seems good tho, so hopefully they eventually bring back the full 3-4 man co-op experience.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd buy this for a $1.

Thanks Microsoft Game Pass PC.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Fuck the matriarch.

Kait reminds me of Mist. Fucking permanent downer. Dunno how Del puts up with it. Her dialogue so far basically boils down to “[deep emo statement]. Let’s just _________.”

Jack is pretty cool, sadly the husband claimed him early so I don’t get to play it.

Just getting into act III now. The little open world stuff is kind of cool but it feels like you’re expected to just do them all anyway and they’re not really an extra. Feels a little low-effort but it being a new thing for the series, probably just trying it out for now.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I finally had some time today to start this game. Initial impressions, it is WAY better than Gears 4.

The game isn't just a repetitive bullet sponge cover shooter. So far, I am liking it a lot and it is a winner.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Have never played a Gears game before, have no idea what the back story is. Worth even reading up on it? The controls seem quite shit but it's fun so /meh

Edit: Just read a wiki on the back story in all of 2 minutes so I'm good there.

Last edited:

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, the story is mostly just an excuse to chainsaw mutant fuckers in half.

• 1Worf

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the game has a short video that you can watch that is basically "here's the background"

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I think if the controls were halfway decent this game would be a joke. Between the insane recoil and the camera flipping around as you accidentally jump in and out of cover while trying to move there's a level of difficulty that borders on the obscene. I may not even finish it at this point.