General Gaming News and Discussion

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Related to this game - can I refund my original WC3 since they replaced it with this? Guess I'll try.

Yea, everyone in this thread is ball washing Blizzard.

And obviously, anyone who buys games that have actually launched and are playable is doing it wrong. Why buy a product when you can buy hope.

All the kickstarters that I listed became great products and were not empty jars of hope.

Don't listen to this guy.

Support kickstarters with promise. Save gaming. Down with Kotick.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You definitely seem like the kind of guy with a lot of integrity and savvy. You definitely don't seem like the kind of guy who would Google "successful kickstarters that launched" and then pretend you contributed and that you enjoyed them while also ignoring all the kickstarters that never launched. You also definitely don't seem like the kind of guy who would act clairvoyant about EQ:Next because of "Pony Tail" while simultaneously being the biggest Brad fanboy of all time, ironically.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Uh I definitely pledged those kickstarters and have them in my steam library with lots of time on them.... I bought both Grim Dawn expansions too.

War for the Overworld's last level was broken and unplayable for a long time so you couldn't finish the game. I came back later after the fix and completed it. I have DLC for it.

I binged that Shadowrun Deadman's Switch campaign. It was very, very good.

This is what I suggest instead of blind purchasing Kotick's next piece of progressive sell out trash. Support real gaming instead of buying ActiBlizzard/EA.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Shit, I’ve only done 2 kickstarters ever and neither ever actually released. Only one is even pretending that there will still actually be a game at some point

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm 0/0 so literally infinite success on my kickstarters.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
One here and it was one of those ones where the devs stop responding to anything and disappear without notice, leaving the project to die (The Mandate)

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
One was Soul Saga and the dude posted this like 2 years ago now, I was pretty certain it would never release but this confirmed it.

Code:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/disastercake/soul-saga-a-j-rpg-inspired-by-playstation-classics/posts/2094066
If it’s true I feel bad for the guy though, trying to create the game basically ruined his life

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
One here and it was one of those ones where the devs stop responding to anything and disappear without notice, leaving the project to die (The Mandate)

I'm sorry to hear that.

I woulda been very bummed if War for the Overworld crashed like this.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
One was Soul Saga and the dude posted this like 2 years ago now, I was pretty certain it would never release but this confirmed it.

Code:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/disastercake/soul-saga-a-j-rpg-inspired-by-playstation-classics/posts/2094066
If it’s true I feel bad for the guy though, trying to create the game basically ruined his life

So I got interested from reading this post and talked to the guy a little bit in his discord.

He's still going hard on it and will have early access invites going out. This thing is far from dead. What an inspirational story, nothing but nothing is slowing him down from his little dream. I'd be more than happy to put 60$ into this and get a mediocre game returned than do the same for some soulless megacorp. Because that's happened. And you're all in here realizing it now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
So I got interested from reading this post and talked to the guy a little bit in his discord.

He's still going hard on it and will have early access invites going out. This thing is far from dead. What an inspirational story, nothing but nothing is slowing him down from his little dream. I'd be more than happy to put 60$ into this and get a mediocre game returned than do the same for some soulless megacorp. Because that's happened. And you're all in here realizing it now.
Yeah I mean I hope it still happens at some point but it’s been like 6.5 years since I backed it and 5.5 years late. I have zero expectations that it will ever see a release. It was only $15 and I don’t care that much, just sharing my track record. The dude seemed to be chasing a dream of his and pretty much had to give up everything he had and still doesn’t have anything to show for it.

The other was project Phoenix and I doubt that ever gets made either. They openly say they aren’t even working on it and instead are working on other projects. Fuck those guys.

• 1Like

Khane

Thanks for the money folks! Here's a sob story about why $195k isn't enough to even afford an apartment and for some reason a broken water heater will get you evicted! Bet you didn't know that huh?! Oh, I have a wife and she's divorcing me, just FYI.

The steam page for that "game" is hilarious.

Release Date: When Airships Fly

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Thanks for the money folks! Here's a sob story about why $195k isn't enough to even afford an apartment and for some reason a broken water heater will get you evicted! Bet you didn't know that huh?! Oh, I have a wife and she's divorcing me, just FYI.

195k over 7 years...

Khane

195k over 7 years...

Bud, the guy estimated it would cost him $60k to make the game. He got more than 3x that and has literally nothing to show for it.

In California you cannot evict someone for a failure of something that the owner of the property is responsible for (in fact, in any state you can't do this), and you need to give far more than 30 days notice.

And, he states his marriage dissolved because he couldn't find a proper work life balance because he was working so hard on this game, which funded $195k, 3x what he asked, and still has nothing to show for it 7 years later.

You really buy any of that fucking story? Cuz I've got a bridge to sell you and this is why Kickstarter and crowdfunding in general is such a crock of shit. That guy basically stole 195 thousand fucking dollars.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>

He did mention he lived in/near San Francisco so it really all makes sense.

• 1Worf

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Bud, the guy estimated it would cost him $60k to make the game. He got more than 3x that and has literally nothing to show for it.

In California you cannot evict someone for a failure of something that the owner of the property is responsible for (in fact, in any state you can't do this), and you need to give far more than 30 days notice.

And, he states his marriage dissolved because he couldn't find a proper work life balance because he was working so hard on this game, which funded $195k, 3x what he asked, and still has nothing to show for it 7 years later.

You really buy any of that fucking story? Cuz I've got a bridge to sell you and this is why Kickstarter and crowdfunding in general is such a crock of shit. That guy basically stole 195 thousand fucking dollars.
Yeah sounds shady as hell. Had the washer line break in one of my apts and it flooded both mine and adjoining apt (washer provided by apt complex). They covered it all, we just had to find another place to stay while they fixed the damage/dried out the apts.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

It doesn’t really matter because I don’t plan on ever backing a kickstarter again because of the shit refund policies. It matters zilch what reason he gives, Kickstarter is basically the Bernie Sanders of websites, no refund.

He has released beta builds that people are playing, I don’t think it’s just a complete grift like some of the others. I think he started a kickstarter with no real idea of what it actually takes to make a game that people will actually want to play. 60k was never going to make the game he was planning, he is either naive or retarded.

Khane

Or both. And knowing that $60k was never going to be enough to make the game he was promising, why did you back it?

Anyway, you're naive thinking that this wasn't a grift from step one. He did just enough to make himself feel like he wasn't a thief (and just enough for it to not be a cut and dried "nothing was done" criminal case) then concocted some bullshit story so he could stop pretending he was even working on it and just take the money and run.