General Gaming News and Discussion

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Surely that would put you fully in favor of paid cosmetics though ? You get a cheaper game and lose nothing you care about, while the barbie-dress-up crowd pays for updates for you.

If games were being made extra good off the backs of cash shop whales then you'd have a point. What I see is games getting generally worse as more of these practices are adopted.

Even if games aren't being made worse by focusing talent and resources into the store instead of the game, I don't think it could be said the practice is making games better. Cash shops might not be causing all the issues in games, but it's not solving any either.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Instead of them pretending adding fun and interesting things to a game is somehow "extra" so retarded gamers can buy them and pretend it's some kind of investment or philanthropy.
Oh, it's not fun and interesting though. Most F2P/Gacha games today simply create a problem, and then sell you the solution. And it usually works.

If I were to transition WoW into a F2P game, I would have you be able to complete only 5 daily quests, with one additional unlocking every hour after you've finished the first ones. Or you can spend a Quest Coin, purchased in packs with the Warcraft Coin (BUY IN BULK! EXTRA 25% WITH EACH PURCHASE ABOVE $9.99!!!) to unlock additional ones if you don't want to spread your dailies over the entire day.

Problem -> Solution <- Cash. And it would bring oodles of money, and they can even say "see, it's not P2W, you can do the same dailies without spending a single dollar!".

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Oh, it's not fun and interesting though. Most F2P/Gacha games today simply create a problem, and then sell you the solution. And it usually works.

If I were to transition WoW into a F2P game, I would have you be able to complete only 5 daily quests, with one additional unlocking every hour after you've finished the first ones. Or you can spend a Quest Coin, purchased in packs with the Warcraft Coin (BUY IN BULK! EXTRA 25% WITH EACH PURCHASE ABOVE $9.99!!!) to unlock additional ones if you don't want to spread your dailies over the entire day.

Problem -> Solution <- Cash. And it would bring oodles of money, and they can even say "see, it's not P2W, you can do the same dailies without spending a single dollar!".
STOP GIVING THEM IDEAS.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Yup this is truly the downside of any p2w game, no matter how good their "free" tier is. It will have always be designed with the pay model in mind.

• 1Truth!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If games were being made extra good off the backs of cash shop whales then you'd have a point. What I see is games getting generally worse as more of these practices are adopted.

Even if games aren't being made worse by focusing talent and resources into the store instead of the game, I don't think it could be said the practice is making games better. Cash shops might not be causing all the issues in games, but it's not solving any either.
Good fucking post.

Goonsquad Officer

I feel like it's even worse than that. It's my understanding that ff14 is a profane cash cow for squenix. Like it makes so much profit, they get to make bloated shit games that nobody wants. So it's not just that the money isn't being spent for more content within the game. It's actively being spent to bail out shit games which wasted their budget on dumb shit.

I bet it's the same in every company. The whales finance games they don't even play, most of which are shit sandwiches

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Whales are only half the problem. Half of it is little kids screaming how they want robux or other game currency for their birthday. Instead of buying random toys kids buy random digital currency now for the flavor of the month game

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
I feel like it's even worse than that. It's my understanding that ff14 is a profane cash cow for squenix. Like it makes so much profit, they get to make bloated shit games that nobody wants. So it's not just that the money isn't being spent for more content within the game. It's actively being spent to bail out shit games which wasted their budget on dumb shit.

I bet it's the same in every company. The whales finance games they don't even play, most of which are shit sandwiches

I am sure it is - not restricted to F2P shit though, from memory WoW was single-handedly keeping the entirety of Vivendi alive before the Activision 'merger'.

F2P probably makes it worse though, just look at how much bullshit Epic has gotten up to off the back of Fortnite.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

lolwut? There isn't enough shit in the FF14 cash shop to call anyone a whale in the first place. If you took the cost of clearing every last thing out of the shop and multiplied it by 10 you probably still wouldn't be a whale.

If FF14 makes them a lot of money it's because they made a game that people love to fucking play.

• 3Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Im talking about buying cosmetics and what not in games.

You think it’s bad to support F2P games? Odd take.

Obviously there’s a loot box line between acceptable and P2W, but why wouldn’t you reward someone who makes a free game you like?

Good examples are League of Legends, Fortnite, COD, etc. You can spend a quantifiable amount of money to reward a free game in return for cosmetics.

Bad example are MLB The Show, Madden, and anything EA. You spend money to spin a roulette wheel that doesn’t guarantee you anything and promotes gambling addiction.

• 2Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Whales are only half the problem. Half of it is little kids screaming how they want robux or other game currency for their birthday. Instead of buying random toys kids buy random digital currency now for the flavor of the month game

And wives! Don't forget the wahmens!

It's almost ironic that male gamers enabled an industry that in every way is pushing them out as they work hard to make sure their loved ones are provided with Roblox cards. Welcome to Western Civilization I guess. (I'd love to see stated but that's my impression of the situation).

Or when the whole family has game bux on their Christmas lists and I've got to explain to the grandparents how pathetic their grand and great grand kids are.

• 1Solidarity

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's almost ironic...
Lets not forget that this entire forum is based off a game that sold us on the idea that we need to pay a subscription on top of a game with a base price cost. "But thats different!" No the fuck it isnt. This entire discussion is filled with hypocrisy.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
lolwut? There isn't enough shit in the FF14 cash shop to call anyone a whale in the first place. If you took the cost of clearing every last thing out of the shop and multiplied it by 10 you probably still wouldn't be a whale.

If FF14 makes them a lot of money it's because they made a game that people love to fucking play.
that's just what i read man! from what i cantell there's just a ton of 1-5 dollar micro emotes and shit that most players seem to buy, and all the waifu cat girl types seem to have.

A lot of the outfits are NPC outfits or emotes they developed for an expansion, they sell after hteir expansion is done.

I know the sheer volume of inane bullshit you can buy in gatcha games is mighty, but i think maybe just a larger percentage of the players, all buy some of the common shit every time it comes out.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Or when the whole family has game bux on their Christmas lists and I've got to explain to the grandparents how pathetic their grand and great grand kids are.
When my nephew told me he spent $20 on robux I let him know that was a horrible idea.

• 2Worf

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
When my nephew told me he spent $20 on robux I let him know that was a horrible idea.

Roblox is known as a medium for adults sploiting children. So, him being on the platform at all is a horrible idea.

I told my sisters not to let their kids play it, so they just play Minecraft.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Dude. Both my kids, that is all they wanted. Robux and Apex skins for a few months. That was a couple of their birthday presents and a Christmas gift! All's I am thinking is how fucked up I am for buying this shit for my kids. Then I turn around and buy D4 skins.

• 2Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Dude. Both my kids, that is all they wanted. Robux and Apex skins for a few months. That was a couple of their birthday presents and a Christmas gift!
My cousins boy is 8 years old. I complimented him on having such a clean room. His dad was quick to point out that he doesnt want regular toys, as he'll never play with them. Thats why his room "looks clean." He just wants COD and fortnite shit apparently. Which is fair. I had a ton of toys and I never played with them. Waste of money there, or waste of money here. Can see why Toys R Us took a nose dive. Millions upon millions of kids around the world are buying cosmetics for video games and I dont think that shits changing no matter how many old boomers boycott cash shops.

• 1Like