General Gaming News and Discussion

spronk

FPS noob
industry death day

pretty big studios and no real shock about redfall but everyone loved Hi Fi Rush but I guess it didn't really do numbers. I suspect a lot of studios will be shut this year as other pubs will panic, if Microsoft with hundreds of billions in cash reserve is starting to focus only on profitability, everyone else has too now too.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And wives! Don't forget the wahmens!

It's almost ironic that male gamers enabled an industry that in every way is pushing them out as they work hard to make sure their loved ones are provided with Roblox cards. Welcome to Western Civilization I guess. (I'd love to see stated but that's my impression of the situation).

Or when the whole family has game bux on their Christmas lists and I've got to explain to the grandparents how pathetic their grand and great grand kids are.
Who raised and enabled those kids….

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
My cousins boy is 8 years old. I complimented him on having such a clean room. His dad was quick to point out that he doesnt want regular toys, as he'll never play with them. Thats why his room "looks clean." He just wants COD and fortnite shit apparently. Which is fair. I had a ton of toys and I never played with them. Waste of money there, or waste of money here. Can see why Toys R Us took a nose dive. Millions upon millions of kids around the world are buying cosmetics for video games and I dont think that shits changing no matter how many old boomers boycott cash shops.

Yeah. I swear anything you must use your imagination on, or physically need to DO something, is slowly being put to the wayside.

• 3Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Who raised and enabled those kids….

Yes. That's the point. It's not about angry boomers boycotting cash shops because they're out of touch with the next generation. It's a society of middle aged gen xers fed a nihilistic line of bullshit that was easy to believe now raising kids that don't care about anything either and the parent justifying it as "this is fine" because they rationalize their pixel skins in a game was actuslly a pretty good financial investment.

Caliane

industry death day

pretty big studios and no real shock about redfall but everyone loved Hi Fi Rush but I guess it didn't really do numbers. I suspect a lot of studios will be shut this year as other pubs will panic, if Microsoft with hundreds of billions in cash reserve is starting to focus only on profitability, everyone else has too now too.
The Tango Gameworks thing does seem crazy.

you'd think whoever is in charge would value brand building. word of mouth, good will, etc. Hi Fi rush might have done ok at best financially, but the word of mouth would have set up their next game to do very well.

However, there is a bit more to make it complicated.
Evil within 1,2 and Ghostwire tokyo. Evil within did poorly, but also generally considered underrated. ghostwire toyko also middling.

Ikumi Nakamura the artistof evil within and ghostwire left the studio back in 2019, mid ghostwire. director of that.
Then Mikami the found of Tango left the studio a month after Hi Fi rush was announced.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Yeah. I swear anything you must use your imagination on, or physically need to DO something, is slowly being put to the wayside.
Don’t have any of my own kids, but I always make sure to buy physical, interactive stuff for my niece and nephew for birthdays and Christmas, preferably with some kind of learning involved. Shit like small robot building kits, marble tracks, terrariums, etc. Thankfully, it seems like they actually get used for the most part, and my niece at least loves the outdoors, bugs, science shit, etc. If she is on her iPad, it’s to watch nature videos and documentaries. The nephew…is a different story, sadly.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Even though Redfall was complete garbage and I'm not really surprised that it ended up killing the studio, I do feel bad for them since my understanding is that they never wanted to make the piece of shit in the first place. Zenimax demanded it and then MS doubled down when they took over.

Tango was a bit more of a surprise. Ghostwire was a boring husk of a game with godawful combat, but I assumed that Hi-fi Rush did well enough to make up for it. I missed the news about Shinji Mikami having left though, guess there isn't really much of a studio without him.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
industry death day

Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Don’t have any of my own kids, but I always make sure to buy physical, interactive stuff for my niece and nephew for birthdays and Christmas, preferably with some kind of learning involved. Shit like small robot building kits, marble tracks, terrariums, etc. Thankfully, it seems like they actually get used for the most part, and my niece at least loves the outdoors, bugs, science shit, etc. If she is on her iPad, it’s to watch nature videos and documentaries. The nephew…is a different story, sadly.
In fairness, part of what is driving the trend for kids to be glued to handhelds is that they don't create a physical mess like real toys do.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
But dont a bunch of those studios have projects under their belt that were known for shoving political / social / diverse agenda's down the users throat? I may be linking the wrong games to the wrong studios, but .. I dont think so.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In fairness, part of what is driving the trend for kids to be glued to handhelds is that they don't create a physical mess like real toys do.
Lazy, Ill-prepared, overwhelmed (fragile) parents.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The Tango Gameworks thing does seem crazy.

you'd think whoever is in charge would value brand building. word of mouth, good will, etc. Hi Fi rush might have done ok at best financially, but the word of mouth would have set up their next game to do very well.

However, there is a bit more to make it complicated.
Evil within 1,2 and Ghostwire tokyo. Evil within did poorly, but also generally considered underrated. ghostwire toyko also middling.

Ikumi Nakamura the artistof evil within and ghostwire left the studio back in 2019, mid ghostwire. director of that.
Then Mikami the found of Tango left the studio a month after Hi Fi rush was announced.

I find this crazy because Hi Fi Rush was a big Game Pass title, wasn't it? Doesn't Microsoft need studios like this to create value for Game Pass? Unless they plan on getting rid of Game Pass.

• 2Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Man, my 5 year old absolutely loves legos and transformers. My 3 year old is into superhero toys. 3 year still clearly in "toy age" range, but 5 is about where kids go toward games and my kid will play with me and sometimes his little friends. He doesn't care that much about it. He'd rather be building legos or staging elaborate transformer battles.

Also, Transformers are fucking expensive. I've rebuilt a few old ones for him that I found at my family farm. We have a lot of the Hasbro kid-friendly types via eBay and FB Marketplace. He is sleeping with a megatron, optimus, and someone called brushfire right now. I am fucking sick of transformers. I did buy the PS4 version of that one beat'em up game based on the '84 cartoons and its great to let him watch.

"YOU'VE GOT THE TOUCH...."

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My cousins boy is 8 years old. I complimented him on having such a clean room. His dad was quick to point out that he doesnt want regular toys, as he'll never play with them. Thats why his room "looks clean." He just wants COD and fortnite shit apparently. Which is fair. I had a ton of toys and I never played with them. Waste of money there, or waste of money here. Can see why Toys R Us took a nose dive. Millions upon millions of kids around the world are buying cosmetics for video games and I dont think that shits changing no matter how many old boomers boycott cash shops.
I only wanted Legos and stuffed animals for indoor toys growing up, aside from the occasional SNES game (which were fucking expensive, when you think about it now.) Art and drawing stuff too. I had my own architectural/drafting tools and was obsessed with stationery, which we now know as a telltale sign of TEH MEGA AUTISM. I had tons of outdoor toys that I played with in the summer but it's shitty in New England 6+ months out of the year so those lived in the basement or shed.

But as soon as I got a computer all I wanted was more computer, and this was back when computers were still kinda shit. I had a really tiny room so 95% of my prized Legos got yeeted into storage totes SO FAST after my parents let me move the computer in my room and get a second phone line to do the beepbeepwooshwooshwawaweewaa.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Pro tip. As an uncle give the loudest and most anoying gifts to nieces and nephews. Also the fisher price or whatever it is tool set the wind up or electric toy drill can drill into sheetrock eventually or so I am told.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Pro tip. As an uncle give the loudest and most anoying gifts to nieces and nephews. Also the fisher price or whatever it is tool set the wind up or electric toy drill can drill into sheetrock eventually or so I am told.
For her first birthday, I gave my oldest niece a singing Baby Shark plushie. After that rollicking success, I felt I owed my sister and her husband some silent toys, at least for a few years. Besides, I'm unlikely to find something as wonderfully sanity-straining as Baby Shark.

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Man, my 5 year old absolutely loves legos and transformers. My 3 year old is into superhero toys. 3 year still clearly in "toy age" range, but 5 is about where kids go toward games and my kid will play with me and sometimes his little friends. He doesn't care that much about it. He'd rather be building legos or staging elaborate transformer battles.

Also, Transformers are fucking expensive. I've rebuilt a few old ones for him that I found at my family farm. We have a lot of the Hasbro kid-friendly types via eBay and FB Marketplace. He is sleeping with a megatron, optimus, and someone called brushfire right now. I am fucking sick of transformers. I did buy the PS4 version of that one beat'em up game based on the '84 cartoons and its great to let him watch.

"YOU'VE GOT THE TOUCH...."
Shit was the same for both my sons. They were both active, played outside, inside with lego and other shit like that. Then they got to a certain age, IDK, maybe 10-12? younger one was like 8-9? when games started to infiltrate. Of course they saw me play them at first but we tried to hold out as long as we could. They first played with my og consoles like N64, SNES, and PS1 I had still lying around with tons of games. But then I broke down and bought them a xbox 360.

Was the same thing with guns, lol. Me and the wife decided not to have toy guns around until we saw them fashioning sticks that looked like guns and playing shot-em up with the sticks, they were like 5 and 3 at the time lol. So why even bother?

But in the end both turned out alright. Oldest is working with my sisters husband in his rather thriving handy man business making tons of cash and my youngest is doing HVAC full time since he graduated. Never really get or got into any trouble.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I find this crazy because Hi Fi Rush was a big Game Pass title, wasn't it? Doesn't Microsoft need studios like this to create value for Game Pass? Unless they plan on getting rid of Game Pass.
Nah. Just less content for twice the price. Streaming services started the trend, MS is just catching up on the gaming side.

velk

Trakanon Raider
For her first birthday, I gave my oldest niece a singing Baby Shark plushie. After that rollicking success, I felt I owed my sister and her husband some silent toys, at least for a few years. Besides, I'm unlikely to find something as wonderfully sanity-straining as Baby Shark.

I once got my nephew a toy phone that had the same ringtone as my sister's phone.

I am pretty sure that was a crime against *something*.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user