General Purpose MMORPG Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The number one thing that detracted from it was the rubberbanding and SB.exe errors every 5 minutes. But after coming back to it like 2 yrs later and playing it for about a year it was pretty fun. The sieges were still a slide show for the most part but beter hardware helped a ton and they fixed the sb exe bullshit, but something about that game that was fucking awesome. I remember the chinese and japs were all on the server fighting for power so it was US vs China vs Japan, it was awesome fights over resource nodes, the class runes and every once in a while an all out siege.
The real problem with that game was they allowed people to have multiple accounts. On my server the main "free city" that built up all the training and allowed everyone in was actually alts of the top PVP guild who were going around destroying everything for everyone. They left the trainers at the free city like a level or two behind theirs. Basically they became unstoppable and owned the server. All the sheeple were pumping money in to the top PVP guild without knowing it so all of us medium size guilds got raped because we couldn't keep up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Is there anything under active development now? Is there anything that has come out recently that is worth spending time on? Recently started playing Diablo3 again with the peeps and while it is fun there is a desire to try a new MMO...

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Nothing new or upcoming that's worth playing, your probably best bet is going with any of the aging MMOs that have been out for years.

• 1Salty

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Nothing new or upcoming that's worth playing, your probably best bet is going with any of the aging MMOs that have been out for years.

So I haven't followed MMORPGs in years (occasionally randomly click on these threads but never for more than a few minutes at a time.) Really haven't played anything with regularity since 2003 EQ, and of course in very small sporadic spurts I've played WoW and other stuff like Rift for a month or two at a time before quitting. Nothing has caught my interest and I don't have the time to play intensely like I did when I was young circa 1999-2003.

Is this genre dead and dying or what? WoW is really the last big thing to come out, what 13 years ago almost? I'd like trying something out to play casually but WoW just doesn't do it for me. I'm guessing there is no good answer to this.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
It's way too early to get excited, but Ashes of Creation at least looks interesting. Enough so to be worth keeping an eye on, I think.

Jarek

Molten Core Raider
Cringed out of the room

Kill it with fire

What? You didn't just looooove Keeshar? Come on man, everybody loves Jalena and Keeshar! They're not just demo characters created solely to whore out our vaporware. No way! They have fucking names! Bond with us on a real, emotional level!

• 1Solidarity

iannis

Musty Nester
So I haven't followed MMORPGs in years (occasionally randomly click on these threads but never for more than a few minutes at a time.) Really haven't played anything with regularity since 2003 EQ, and of course in very small sporadic spurts I've played WoW and other stuff like Rift for a month or two at a time before quitting. Nothing has caught my interest and I don't have the time to play intensely like I did when I was young circa 1999-2003.

Is this genre dead and dying or what? WoW is really the last big thing to come out, what 13 years ago almost? I'd like trying something out to play casually but WoW just doesn't do it for me. I'm guessing there is no good answer to this.

It's past dying, it's well and truly dead.

What MMO's do linger aren't even on life support anymore.

The market has shifted to tablets and consoles. It ain't coming back anytime soon. The projects are too big to make a "niche" mmo.

When pantheon is your only hope you truly have no hope.

Miethos

Trakanon Raider
It's past dying, it's well and truly dead.

What MMO's do linger aren't even on life support anymore.

The market has shifted to tablets and consoles. It ain't coming back anytime soon. The projects are too big to make a "niche" mmo.

When pantheon is your only hope you truly have no hope.

Considering there is still a huge competitive raiding scene, i don't think its quite as dead as you wish it was. Its the only MMO with sponsors in raiding and pvp. Oh that's right its not even FTP... damn must be dead right? hah...

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't wish anything when it comes to MMO's. I honestly don't give a fuck.

I think you may not realize that qualifies as dead. I hope you have fun in that uberduber raid scene, but there's not another one coming out. WoW will ride the corpse into the grave. Nothing wrong with that. But even WoW is well past peak. Fucks sake, there's still people raiding in EQ1. But if you're using that for a metric that EQ1 is still a successful MMO, we'll just have to disagree about that.

The best you're really going to get is tailored emu servers. I hope you do get them. Seems like there would be some money in that. EQ:Browser is, sillily enough, actually not a stupid idea.

It's just not the tens of millions sort of money that Vivendi or Sony or Microsoft are looking for. Funcom runs a fine little MMO. It's profitable. Not wildly profitable, but it's profitable. And those guys keep declaring bankruptcy.

Your MMO pvp sponsored raid scene will be morphing into overwatch and doom. It already has been. Maybe it won't all go away. I hope it doesn't. But that's very obviously the market trend. It's a very big world, large enough for all sorts of entertainment.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
MMO? Are you sure you don't mean you want a new MOBA? Or perhaps a rogue-like with pixel art?

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Camelot Unchained is the only pickle tickler for me.

Mark if you read this let me come visit your offices. I live close.

• 1Solidarity

norp

Bronze Squire
I feel like we won't get any kind of revolutionary MMO anytime soon, but perhaps when VR/other technology becomes more refined it could facilitate something new. I do agree with the trend being towards games like Overwatch and Hearthstone, but hopefully that's not all we get for the next 10 years.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Sad today that AC closed last night after 17 years. I never played the game but I can't imagine see something like EQ officially shutting down. I guess it's different for many of us. EQ can be somewhat relived when the itch comes through Emu or most people have simply moved on. Still amazing that "thousands" of players were still playing when they pulled the plug. Shame someone didn't buy it or do something so those poor people could still play time to time but I guess ultimately it didn't make good business sense for anyone.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
A couple of days ago i ventured down into the bowels of my basement to see my 15 yr old plaing something new on his xboner. I asked what it was and he said Trove, mmorpg. So its not dead genre yet if they can get 15 yr olds to play. Then i told him he should play a real mmorpg.

Trove | A Voxel MMO Adventure from Trion Worlds

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So... you saw a kid playing a different version of Minecraft. Every kid I know plays Minecraft. It's like lazy legos.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So... you saw a kid playing a different version of Minecraft. Every kid I know plays Minecraft. It's like lazy legos.

Except its not minecraft, its a legit mmo. Shit to grind, shit to level etc... etc....

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Is there anything out there to play aside from WoW. I am getting the itch but there is noting to scratch it with. Maybe going super need and playing old school D&D is the way to go.