Good sci-fi/horror books?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I just finished Blindsight yesterday and I have to partially agree with Vvoid. I am the biggest opponent of entertainment media hand holding its audiance by having to explain every little thing to them, however, it just seemed like a guy with a few really interesting ideas trying his hardest to sound as smart as he possibly could and that made it less enjoyable. That being said, it was a good read and I am excited to read some more of the suggestions on this thread. RR recommendations come through again.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
My opinion is that someone should read it and summarize it for me, because there is no way in hell I'm submitting myself to the torture that reading that first one was. But I'd like to hear if he started making a lick of sense or writing in a manner that didn't make reading it akin to shoving glass shards up my ass, because some of the ideas were intriguing.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Looks like there's a sequel to Blindsight, Echopraxia. Does anyone here have an opinion on it?
I very much enjoyed both. One of the primary themes is examining the benefits/perils of tampering with our own genetics; that the protagonist in Blindsight's job specification is translating what the fuck the hyper-evolved humans are saying into "normal speech" is fascinating to me. Echopraxia continues along with where Blindsight left off: some outside force is A) far far far more intelligent/lethal than "baseline" humans and B) "our" only chance is our own hyper-evolved. It also follows a baseline human protagonist.

The 2nd novel continues to establish the battlefield (solar system) and begins naming involved parties... the protagonist is there to give something for the reader to relate to as a witness to a war amongst giants.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I've been reading a lot of Lovecraft lately. The language can be a little archaic but some of the stories are quite unnerving. Mountains of Madness has to be my favourite so far.
Color out of Space is wonderfully creepy as is Herbert West Re-animator, but you can't go wrong reading everything.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I loved the Lord of Light but for some reason I've been delaying getting into Ilium / Olympos.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed Ilium/Olympus well enough, although it got pretty weird. But then so did Hyperion at times. I wouldn't consider it (Ilium/Olympus) horror at all though.