Google reader to retire July 1st 2013

Saladus

Bronze Knight of the Realm
http://googlereader.blogspot.com/201...le-reader.html

Very sad to hear this. I don't use google reader nearly as much as I used to, but at one point it was by far my most visited site/app for everything I cared about on the internet. It's funny how they let good shit like this die, but still support shit services like Google+ which not a damn person gives two shits about.

Loftish

Lord Nagafen Raider
What are some good replacements for Google Reader? I currently use it to keep track of about 20 blogs that I read regularly.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
I use it all the freakin' time. Been looking for an alternative, but all the main ones are getting slammed right now.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
What are some good replacements for Google Reader? I currently use it to keep track of about 20 blogs that I read regularly.
For a web viewer, Newsblur looks nice, but it's overloaded right now with all the people checking it out. FeedDemon is a good desktop app.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Feedly is saying that they will seamlessly transition to their own backend from Google Reader when they shut it down. User's shouldn't need to do a thing.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Since October 11, 2008 you have read a total of 167,931 items.
Man... I follow so many blogs, tech sites, and even academic journals through Google Reader.
frown.png

I'll check out Feedly, but it looks more like a replacement for Pocket/Instagram? I like the idea of scrolling through my unread news feeds and sending the ones I want to read to Pocket.

frown.png

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Newsblur looks like the best one, but you'll have to be patient. It's getting slammed. Free account only gives you 64 feeds. Unlimited is $1/month.

If you want to get nostalgic, there's goodnoows.com. It's okay, but as far as I can tell, it does not show unread counts on each feed.

Feedly is a news reader. You can set it up so that it shows feeds like Google does, or use other layouts. You can add other social sites, but I only use it for google reader stuff. Gonna switch to Newsblur, tho.

xrg

Golden Squire
I've only used it since 2010 - Since April 7, 2010 you have read a total of 69,218 items.

Incidentally, this is why I tend to be apprehensive about using a lot of Google's services in the first place. :p

Saladus

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Since July 8, 2009 you have read a total of 202,758 items

This is why I'm so hesitant to put any of my eggs in one basket when it comes to google. If their products are struggling, they kill it altogether in favor of releasing something else that is half-assed. Then years down the road, they kill that newer product, because they never seem to try to improve upon said half-assed product.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Since August 28, 2008 you have read a total of 71,372 items. Damn shame. I loved it for it's minimalistic appearance and ease of use. I have now imported my feed settings to Feedly, but not quite as happy with that, though it might just be small things I can get over.

I've replaced iGoogle with Netvibes. Does a good job of replacing everything I cared about in iGoogle.
I had a look at Netvibes and it looked good right up until I saw a $499/month price tag and thought WTF? I take it you use the free version? Could you tell us a bit more about it and how you use it and what you like/don't like about it? That is, could you give us a review?
wink.png

wink.png