Google reader to retire July 1st 2013

Smocca_sl

shitlord
frown.png
Yea

Since April 23, 2008 you have read a total of 198,020 items.
Feels real bad man

I imagine I will just stop reading most of the blogs etc. The truth of it is that I don't care enough about most of them to do more than tap my screen or press the j key on my keyboard. I'm certainly not going to be surfing websites like it's 2005 again.

frown.png

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've replaced iGoogle with Netvibes. Does a good job of replacing everything I cared about in iGoogle.
Do they have a sport scores tool on it? I use this one on iGoogle and I can't live without it. ><

rrr_img_17491.jpg

I still can't believe they are getting rid of iGoogle. Why get rid of something that some people use from their homepage on their browser?

rrr_img_17491.jpg

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Yeah, they want to push RSS users to Google+, which I think is a terrible way to try and read feeds that, as far as I know, can't be organized on +.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Yeah, Google+ is the wrong tool for feeds. I need to be able to mark shit as read, keep things unread, organize by label... none of that is going to work properly on Google+. Epic fail.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
This got me thinking. From my first days online (using BBS) in the beginning of the 90's I've had this feeling that the future of all things online is one that is better and brighter than the present. And it has been. But over the past few months or years this feeling has been waning. Always on (and borked) DRM for games, the "social" buzzword for everything (Facebook, G+...) and the discontinuation of things that I consider elementary to an online life (Google Reader) in favour of this "social" ubiquity have me feeling that the golden days of the Internet will soon be over. Although I hope I am wrong and this is just what old age feels like...

On other news I have tried out Feedly and Netvibes and found both to be a bit "meh", trying to import into The Old Reader now but their servers are taking a hammering.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I use feedly now. I like it. Newsblur is lagged to shit and doesn't seem to work well.

I can't seem to find this trend tab on reader, where you guys looking?
edit:
I'm retarded.

xrg

Golden Squire
If you dig into a few configuration settings you can get Feedly pretty close to the normal Google Reader. At least the way I used Google Reader you can. I've still been trying various others but they've all been so hammered it's difficult to really test anything.

Reading Reddit and various articles about it, I'm kind of surprised how many people out there apparently don't use RSS at all. I'm not sure if they're just not good at the internet, or if Twitter and shit are actually valid replacements and I'm an old fogey stuck in my old ways.
frown.png

frown.png

frown.png

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm devastated.

Since June 27, 2011 you have read a total of 2 items.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
I've used Google Reader since the day it went live. I'd love to know how many items I've read, but I never used Google's web reader. I've used a desktop app almost exclusively.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
My only complaint with Feedly is after I scroll past an article it doesn't disappear, what setting am I missing?