Gordian Quest -- RPG/Slay the Spire type

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I posted about this on the Steam thread but I've been crazy addicted to this damn game for the last several days. Its like Slay the Spire only you are playing 3 (of 8 possible choices) different characters in a much longer-format adventure. There is a shorter single-sitting type version that comes with the latest 'beta' patch but I find the campaign adventure much more rewarding. The truly crazy thing is that the game for the first 'act' would itself be enough given the price-point but then the second 'act' opens up not only more character classes (which can be used in the first act as well) but even new game systems including something akin to the WoW adventurer table to make use of the characters you don't have in your active party.

If you are at all a fan of Slay the Spire or similar game OR Tactics Ogre / FFTactics then you owe it to yourself to try this game out.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

rieter

Molten Core Raider
Found this on accident but it is very much Slay with shades of Darkest Dungeon and Dungeons and Dragons thrown in. I second all Qhue said there, game is really good even at this point. Im eager to see what will come of it as more is added.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Bought it, never heard of it before. This is great. Only done the very first part, but this game is already good and has massive potential.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Saw your post about this and looked to be right up my alley, got it but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Lots of fun but very easy compared to similar games. I did my first Campaign run with the Cleric, Swordhand, and Spellbinder and 99% of my fights were 0 damage.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’ll probably check this out once EA is over. Looks great but monster train is scratching my itch for this genre. It’s very good if you guys haven’t played it yet. Also not in EA, it’s full release.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Ended up buying this and about 15 hours in so far. Game is pretty good and looks like it's going to have a lot of content. One gripe thus far is with the supply system. It just makes clearing the map tedious. I'm all for resource management but in this case it's just not very interesting or fun. Early Access and all though so perhaps that will change in the future.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
They've added in Realm Run which is more of a traditional rogue-like series of fights similar to Slay the Spire and lacking the RPG elements.

I still play this several hours a week and get a kick out of trying the different combos of the 9 released characters. Dunno why this isn't more popular other than they haven't ponied up for sponsored streaming influencer runs.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
DLed it since it’s been in EA for so long. Assuming it’ll go live soon. Anyway I just intended to just check it out but ended up playing over two hours. I can see a lot of replay with all the classes and the three trees each. I picked whatever default difficulty it was and it’s a little too easy, I’m barely getting hurt. Does it get tougher or is the default difficulty just too easy?

Last edited:

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
This game looks like it was made to check every box on my addictive personality index.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So I’m playing this blind. I expected it to be fairly quick since they are showing “run times” and you can select “end run” etc. It took me eight hours to get through act 1 which I assumed was the end of the game but then it starts act 2. So I read up on it and they’re going to have four acts and like 15 more characters...holy shit. That’s a lot of content for a game that has you doing “runs” lol. I’m sure my next playthrough will be much faster now that I know what I’m doing and it gives you items that buffs future runs. Still, that was quite a bit of shit to do for one act. This may end up being a pretty epic game when it’s all done. I already feel like I got my money’s worth out of it and there’s a lot I haven’t seen yet.

It still seems a little too easy but I’m guessing balancing and more difficulty levels will fix that. Agree with someone post above about supplies. Currently it just seems pointless, you can just buy them every time you visit town for cheap. I’ve never ran out so don’t even know what happens if you do.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The third act is now in beta on the Bleeding Edge build and will be released later this month for normal access.

They continue to make some pretty wide ranging changes to the game, notably now with the Exploration Nodes.

It has actually been a fascinating look into the game design process fueled by early access feedback.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Third act is now live. It’s 30% off as well. It’s a solid game, I’ve put 30 hours into it so far. Trying various builds for the different characters is fun. Addicting game.

Also this doesn’t really play like slay the spire other than cards for abilities like tons of games have. The title of this thread bothers me.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So, I didn’t find out or try it until way late but the roguelike part is the challenge mode or whatever it’s called. The ‘campaign’ is long as fuck and gets pretty monotonous. I was just doing that and getting burned out. Once it releases I’m going to go back and do the short runs instead.