GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Was her thinking she's barren actually mentioned in the show? Because the 'i will have no more children' bit sounds a lot like inner monologue.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Not relevant. Marrying your multiple sisters does not allow you to marry whomever you want if they are already pledged. Especially if they are your key bannermen. You can argue that killing off Lord Stark and his heir. Then calling for the heads of Ned and Robert AND Lord Arryn is what started the whole thing. But regardless Rhaegar was the spark to the fire.
Ehh from the books I always figured Rheagar found/readsomething that made him think he needed to have a child with a Stark (the prince that was promised). Forgot what book, but didn't it explain how one day he read something and knew he had to become a warrior too?

Caliane

At this point it's kinda all equally stupid.

The only thing I'm curious about anymore, really, is remember way back in season one gurrm promised there was an explanation for why the season on this world were so fucked that wasn't "it's magic"

I'm curious if they ever a dress that at all, or if it's lost smoke monster bullshit. Now I'm leaning 95% in favor of grrm is a lucky hack who NEVER had a cohesive story in mind... But I'm even willing to accept something pernlike with eccentric orbit in a pixiedust nebulae.
Old town's library had 2 Orrery's. Both, based on the introduction title card.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
While that's true. Rhaegar was also shown to be highly intelligent and aware of statecraft. So I would like to think he knew the implications of running off with the daughter of one of the Great Houses of the Kingdoms. To me it seems he didn't expect his father would do something so insane as to murder the girl's family and ask for the rest of the family and the heads of other Lords of the Great Houses. When that happened he just kinda hid out at the Tower of Joy I guess?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
While that's true. Rhaegar was also shown to be highly intelligent and aware of statecraft. So I would like to think he knew the implications of running off with the daughter of one of the Great Houses of the Kingdoms. To me it seems he didn't expect his father would do something so insane as to murder the girl's family and ask for the rest of the family and the heads of other Lords of the Great Houses. When that happened he just kinda hid out at the Tower of Joy I guess?
Or he knew the consequences of doing such were acceptable in order for there to be the prince that was promised.

I take him as sending her to ToJ as protecting the child, that is why you had his best kingsguard there and not with him during the war

khalid

Unelected Mod
She might be able to but believes that she can't because of what the witch mid-wife told her after Drogo became a vegetable.
This. Prophecy, especially in this series, isn't to be taken that seriously. Shit has been wrong or misleading more times than not.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I was going to respond about the prophecy, but the show and book are different. Full quote is:

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."
But in the show, Mirri Maz Duur doesn't say "When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child".

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The books themselves don't even mention Rhaegar being so obsessed with prophecy. Its merely slightly implied and then the interwebz blows it up with tinfoil speculation. The entire series subverts prophecy as something not to be taken seriously.

That's why I have such a hard time with Rhaegar doing something crazy over it.

khalid

Unelected Mod
"As a young boy, the Prince of Dragonstone was bookish to a fault. He was reading so early that men said Queen Rhaella must have swallowed some books and a candle whilst he was in her womb. Rhaegar took no interest in the play of other children. The maesters were awed by his wits, but his father's knights would jest sourly that Baelor the Blessed had been born again. Until one day Prince Rhaegar found something in his scrolls that changed him. No one knows what it might have been, only that the boy suddenly appeared early one morning in the yard as the knights were donning their steel. He walked up to Ser Willem Darry, the master-at-arms, and said, 'I will require sword and armor. It seems I must be a warrior.'"

Martin, George R.R.. A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Three (p. 91). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition.
Rhaegar changed his entire life based on something he thought he read in an old scroll. Seems he most definitely was "obsessed" with prophecy.

velk

Trakanon Raider
So did Arya murder that hot waitress to rip her face off?
You would have to assume so. Besides, we know for sure she murdered Frey's kids, carved them up, baked them and served then to him. That is some next level serial killer shit, whacking some random kitchen maid barely even rates on the morality meter.

It explains jaqen's smirk at her 'fuck you, I do what I want' speech. As far as outcomes go, skilling her up and letting her do her own thing would seem to get a big tick in the death god's win column.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Rhaegar changed his entire life based on something he thought he read in an old scroll. Seems he most definitely was "obsessed" with prophecy.
He is also obsessing about it in the visions from the house of the undying. The whole 'dragon must have three heads' business.

khalid

Unelected Mod
He is also obsessing about it in the visions from the house of the undying. The whole 'dragon must have three heads' business.
Good call.

lilac. "Aegon," he said to a woman nursing a newborn babe in a great wooden bed. "What better name for a king?" "Will you make a song for him?" the woman asked. "He has a song," the man replied. "He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire." He looked up when he said it and his eyes met Dany's, and it seemed as if he saw her standing there beyond the door. "There must be one more," he said, though whether he was speaking to her or the woman in the bed she could not say. "The dragon has three heads." He went to the window seat, picked up a harp, and ran his fingers lightly over its silvery strings. Sweet sadness filled the room as man and wife and babe faded like the morning mist, only the music lingering behind to speed her on her way.

Martin, George R.R.. A Clash of Kings: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Two (p. 701). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition.
Rhaegar was very clearly all about prophecy.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was trying to figure out who all died, someone correct my checklist -

King & Queen
Kings Uncle Lannister
Grand Maester
Queens brother and father
High Sparrow
Entire Frey royal line (???)

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't think you an snuff out the Freys that easily. Walder had shitloads of kids and each one of them had shitloads more. There's a -lot- of people with claims to the Frey throne.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think the point is that without Old Walder and the two immediate heirs (in the show) the house will fall into shambles with tons of infighting. Because of all of those kids and not really be of any use to anyone in the Game for the time being.