GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's not specifically about recreating the scouring, it's about the 'bittersweet' ending. Which I'm sure these hack writers will also fuck up.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I liked scouring a lot. It scales back the epic world ending lord of evil threat into something which is less fantasy but just as important, and importantly something that happens. That bit isn't so much fantasy as direct social commentary.

The first time I finished ROTK I also despised scouring. It was both a gutpunch and it felt anti climatic. But Merry and Pippin running off old sharky and letting their fat little brothers be free without being corrupted by violence (mostly) is important. At the very least the constabulary that they formed was free of the -joy- of violence. It's the story of the country people that get by without being directly effected by these huge world shaping events but in their more narrow ways their lives are effected even more negatively by forces they cannot control, comprehend, or even influence.

It's a story about soldiers coming home to find that while they were out fighting the good fight, all the cowards were at home eating their food and fucking the women.

That one small chapter contextualizes the entire three books. I really do think it was kind of brilliant to use it as an epilogue. For adults. Younger readers won't see the point he's making. I didn't, until I re-read the series in my 30's.

The story that GRRM has told will not lend itself to a scouring of the shire. He's made everyone complict and the commoners are not innocent... they're just chattel. He does not have a Shire to Scour. If he tries, which he probably would if he ever wrote the book, it would be peak pretentiousness.
nah it was pussy shit, if war had gone that way and the shire was just collateral damage, yeah thats fine. Saruman went there to fuck shit up to be a dick. there was no moral to be learned here, guy was butthurt so he wanted to hurt the hobbits because he could.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Scouring of the Shire was a lesson that the corruption Melkor infused into the whole Earth would spring up anytime and anywhere and even though the great supernatural enemy Sauron was defeated, the war against evil popping up over and over was never going to end and us mere mortals had to deal with it ourselves.

I.E. inescapable Original Sin tainting everything.

Taking it back to GoT since the writers loved the Scouring so much, I'm betting in the end Dany's dream of "breaking the wheel" of houses constantly fighting and crushing the smallfolk under them in a never ending cycle will prove a utter failure. the whole cycle just starts up again and keeps spinning. hmm where is the bittersweet in that? I guess when they all realize all that bullshit they went through was for nothing and everyone (especially the smallfolk) would of been better off if there was never a rebellion to begin with. dunno

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
The scouring of the shire was an important moral epilogue to ROTK. It hurts me that apparently so few here liked or understood it.

The moral of the scouring of the shire was clear: you don't leave evil alone to fester. You dont give evil a second chance. You kill Saruman when you have the chance to kill Saruman. Remember, these books were written in the WWII era, a time when it was fresh in peoples' minds what evil could do if left unopposed.

The omission of the scouring from the movies was the single worst change they made, bar none. Yes, even the dumb love story shit. Scouring of the shire was important.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Image result for lebron violin

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob
poor Theon was probably being told to stop acting like such a pussy and man up and stop talking so high pitched

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>

Gif nails it, tired of these celebs who can’t take the negative side of being a celebrity and the asshole morons who think the entire world can be sunshine and fucking rainbows all time with nary a complaint, critique, or dissenting remark. Of course they want her her to look consistent from scene to scene, episode to episode. Maintaining a physique is part of that.

It’s all so tiresome.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Siliconemelons

The scouring of the shire was an important moral epilogue to ROTK. It hurts me that apparently so few here liked or understood it.

The moral of the scouring of the shire was clear: you don't leave evil alone to fester. You dont give evil a second chance. You kill Saruman when you have the chance to kill Saruman. Remember, these books were written in the WWII era, a time when it was fresh in peoples' minds what evil could do if left unopposed.

The omission of the scouring from the movies was the single worst change they made, bar none. Yes, even the dumb love story shit. Scouring of the shire was important.

Thank you! Thank you!

It's the antithesis of fucking "I won't kill the Joker" batman and SJWism.

Finally!

It also popped the Hobbits cherry, they no longer were this "remain ignorant and innocent" hippy plantation. It also told that, you can be truly innocent, you can deny and be ignorant, either way- evil can and will impact you.

• 3Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Except Tolkien flat out said it had nothing to do with the aftermath of WW2.

And Aldarion's take on it is directly contradicted by the actual events of the scouring itself. Frodo spares Saruman despite what he has done to the shire, Saruman's death comes about as a consequence of his own actions, the Shire more than completely recovers from Saruman's damage, and if the hobbits have lost some of their innocence they have traded it for a better appreciation of what they have.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Also L O S T theories back then were way more interesting than the actual ending.

Respectfully, the LOST creators got us good. They explicitly said the island is not "purgatory", but then they made the flash-sideways in the last couple of seasons purgatory. I trolled some LOST forums them, but not like religiously, but it was such a simple twist, because I don't think many expected the sideways flashes to be purgatory because the writers said the main storyline wasn't. I found the ending very satisfying. I don't think there's any ending that would have made the diehard fans happy.