GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Goatface

George R.R. Martin says that three of HBO’s Game of Thrones spinoffs are ‘moving forward nicely
In 2017, Martin revealed that there were five spinoff shows (he says he prefers to call them successors, rather than spinoffs) in the works at HBO. In his latest blog post, Martin notes that of those five, “three of them are still moving forward nicely.” HBO has ordered a pilot for one of them — which Martin says he isn’t supposed to call The Long Night) set thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones. It’s expected to start shooting sometime this summer, with S.J. Clarkson (Defenders, Jessica Jones) set to direct.

But it looks like HBO might not stick with just that project, or at the very least, is hedging its bets. Martin says that two of the other projects are still in development, and while they “remain in the script stage,” they are “edging closer,” presumably to something beyond just words on a page. We learned last month that one of the successor shows from series writer and co-executive producer Bryan Cogman isn’t happening.

As to what they’ll be about, or when they’ll take place, Martin won’t say, but suggests that “maybe some of you should pick up a copy of Fire & Blood,” (a history of the “Targaryens in Westeros”) and come up with your own theories.”

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
George R.R. Martin says that three of HBO’s Game of Thrones spinoffs are ‘moving forward nicely
In 2017, Martin revealed that there were five spinoff shows (he says he prefers to call them successors, rather than spinoffs) in the works at HBO. In his latest blog post, Martin notes that of those five, “three of them are still moving forward nicely.” HBO has ordered a pilot for one of them — which Martin says he isn’t supposed to call The Long Night) set thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones. It’s expected to start shooting sometime this summer, with S.J. Clarkson (Defenders, Jessica Jones) set to direct.

But it looks like HBO might not stick with just that project, or at the very least, is hedging its bets. Martin says that two of the other projects are still in development, and while they “remain in the script stage,” they are “edging closer,” presumably to something beyond just words on a page. We learned last month that one of the successor shows from series writer and co-executive producer Bryan Cogman isn’t happening.

As to what they’ll be about, or when they’ll take place, Martin won’t say, but suggests that “maybe some of you should pick up a copy of Fire & Blood,” (a history of the “Targaryens in Westeros”) and come up with your own theories.”
you guys gonna watch that larp? because i have absolutely no reason to ever tune in again after the last 3 episodes of GoT air. i dont even want to watch those.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
future

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
I think it's even simpler than that--the writers have a really basic notion of warfare, and opted for a music video of war instead of showing actual tactics. Theon giving way to Arya in the garden is what they wanted. Those scene are straight-up MTV, like Shannara Chronicles.

I don't know why these people don't write an email or pick up a fucking phone. In just general scripts I've done for fun, I will call an expert on a subject I'm trying to write a specific on and every time, without fail, I've gotten a response from a really enthusiastic person. With the budget of GoT? They could toss someone who knows something a few bucks, about any subject beyond character development (which they think they're experts on), and have that guy spew his autism about it and they could write a great series of scenes with his help. No, they have to constantly fuck it up at every turn for no real reason.

iannis

Musty Nester
you guys gonna watch that larp? because i have absolutely no reason to ever tune in again after the last 3 episodes of GoT air. i dont even want to watch those.

I mean probably not. There's nothing about GRRM's world that's interesting to me. It's, what? Europe (mostly just britian and iberia combined into one continent) around 1300-1400. And then the middle east at a slightly lower tech level without Mohammed combined with the mongols. Then there's a sprinkling of magic with the Warlocks, and dragons, and ice zombies. But that sprinkling of magic was never important.

It's all incredibly generic as a setting. The interesting parts I suppose were the politics of it. S2 was their best season.

It's not that HBO writers can't do that. S1-2 of Boardwalk Empire shows they can. It's more that the writers they're going to have for GoT spinoffs are more like the writers for Boardwalk Empire S5-6. Which... I mean... it's not bad exactly, but it's not exactly good either. Throw some Mad Men writers at it and sure, it could be pretty good. They won't though. The concept is too constrained in the wrong ways.

• 1Like

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
all this backlash is actually good for the future spinoffs. Maybe the head honchos will actually realize that you need proper writing to keep the money train rolling. The only reason GoT got off to a stellar start is because the first seasons the based on books. There are plethora of fantasy/sci-fi shows that fizzle out because of shitty writing. Imagine GoT without the books and season 1 being written in a vein on seasons 7 and 8. That show would have been cancelled after the 2nd season at best.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So how did Jorah go from being inside the castle with the doors closed to crossing a field of endless walkers to be at Danny's side defending her to his death?

Siliconemelons

So how did Jorah go from being inside the castle with the doors closed to crossing a field of endless walkers to be at Danny's side defending her to his death?

He found little fingers personal teleportation device as he ran and hid a-la-Sam

• 1Like

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I don't know why these people don't write an email or pick up a fucking phone. In just general scripts I've done for fun, I will call an expert on a subject I'm trying to write a specific on and every time, without fail, I've gotten a response from a really enthusiastic person. With the budget of GoT? They could toss someone who knows something a few bucks, about any subject beyond character development (which they think they're experts on), and have that guy spew his autism about it and they could write a great series of scenes with his help. No, they have to constantly fuck it up at every turn for no real reason.

Neat read about The Sopranos creative process: How I Wrote The Sopranos: Deconstructing the Stories Behind the Bada-Bing

This doesn't excuse what GoT has been for a while now, but I bet it's harder to stick with the formula the closer you are to the finale. There's just less room to work with between the A-D threads. S08E03 would seem to be an episode with only an A thread.

Rumor-spoilers for episodes 4, 5, and 6 seem to suggest a violent General Hospital. I guess that's back to human-drama, at least.

Y yeahthatisneathuh wanted to send you a PM about writing but blocked

Caliane

Damn, Preston proposed an amazing potential ending.

First, he notes, the "a song of ice and fire" is taken from a Robert Frost poem.
Fire and Ice by Robert Frost
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
The poem is alluding to the two proposed "end of the world scenarios, sun burning out, and Earth freezing, or molten core exploding. (could also be heat death of universe, and Sun going supernova. But, he also notes, that considering human Desire, and Hate, death by "fire" from War is most likely, and as such, death by ICE would be a good ending.

So, there. the Hamlet ending. they all die. every player. Not in Ice or Fire, but from hate and desire.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

You will watch it. Not because you want to, but because you won't be able to resist being a turd in the punchbowl of the thread about it on here.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You will watch it. Not because you want to, but because you won't be able to resist being a turd in the punchbowl of the thread about it on here.
nah, i never bothered watching that true detective season 4 because i had no interest in it. was planning to, so i could shit on it. but i just didnt care.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member

Damn, Preston proposed an amazing potential ending.

First, he notes, the "a song of ice and fire" is taken from a Robert Frost poem.
Fire and Ice by Robert Frost

The poem is alluding to the two proposed "end of the world scenarios, sun burning out, and Earth freezing, or molten core exploding. (could also be heat death of universe, and Sun going supernova. But, he also notes, that considering human Desire, and Hate, death by "fire" from War is most likely, and as such, death by ICE would be a good ending.

So, there. the Hamlet ending. they all die. every player. Not in Ice or Fire, but from hate and desire.

I dunno, does Jon Snow really fit hate or desire. He has never been gung ho kill Cersei, but he does it to protect. He definitely doesn't desire the crown either.

Fucker

Log Wizard
nah, i never bothered watching that true detective season 4 because i had no interest in it. was planning to, so i could shit on it. but i just didnt care.

They completely ran out of ideas not even halfway through the season. It comes across as if the actors just started making shit up as they went along.

• 1Worf