GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that magic gets stronger when there are dragons in the world (or vice versa)? Bigger dragons, more powerful magic?
Would explain Dany's fire resist increasing as well as Jon's rez unexpectedly working, as well as Bran's powers growing.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Arguing about how magic works in a world that was specifically designed for magic to be enigmatic and hard to understand and coming to meaningful conclusions is awesome guys.

That was one of my favorite things about ASOIAF in general. Magic is real, but super rare and most people don't even believe in it. Those who are able to practice it don't even understand what does what exactly outside of a few rare cases (Melisandre).

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's rare because there haven't been any dragons in the world till now. It'll become more common now I feel.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Did it seem to anyone else that Dany was controlling the fire there at the end? After re-watching it seems she made it race across the walls, and when she knocks over the last brazier it seems she forces it up at Khal Brogo's face.
The fire definitely spread a lot faster than it would on a normal wood floor, but I just figured that darrio snuck in earlier and coated the floor with lamp oil or something.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I figured it was implied the floor was covered in dry grass/hay like material which was highly flammable.

Siliconemelons

I figured it was implied the floor was covered in dry grass/hay like material which was highly flammable.
I kind of got the same vibe with the whole "you can help me" thing - she was sneaking out herself not to leave but "do something" - if she was just planning on tipping over the fire pots she would not have needed to sneak out etc.

HUH_sl

shitlord
Magic is getting stronger but we don't know why. Dragons, White Walkers, Comets, Summerhall, Rhollr. Who knows which are causes and which are effects.

And Dany should be dead from lack of oxygen / smoke inhalation. The whole scene was cheap and easy and quickly ties up a bunch of plot points. The out come will be the same in the book but the show doesn't have the time to actually create something organically, so it's just fuck it she has superpowers and make the Khal's panic. I figured it would be Drogon that saved her but they probably figured having her dragon save her again would diminish Dany as a character, but giving her superpowers somehow wouldn't. Whatever Dany sucked and has always sucked and I hope she goes crazy and ends up a villain.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
She does seem to have a penchant for burning people, kinda like the mad king. Of course, these are bad people* so YMMV.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
And yet she wouldn't have died from those things while inside a large funeral pyre?
When I read that I face palmed.

Like out of all of the things to bitch about....lol. NO WAY GUYS NO WAY SHE COULD OF LIVED WITHOUT OXYGEN.

Out of all of the bad writing this show suffers from, the Dany killing the Khals scene is not. I agree its a bit convenient, but all things considered I thought it was a great mechanic to kill Khal fags without being too preposterous. I mean, Vaes Dothrak is supposed to be this great, historic enclave, settled by some of the meanest motherfuckers in the land.

That was probably one of the few scenarios outside of Drogon saving the day that would have been acceptable.

I kno some of you thought it was dumb but how fucking stupid would it have been if they had Daario and Jorah get her out of there unscathed after stumbling upon her.

edit: It was also unforseen. I wasnt expecting that, one of the few times a pivotal scene wasnt telegraphed.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
No idea what the fuck that is, and if it has anything to do with something in the books we haven't been told about keep that shit to yourself.
It's not a spoiler. It's one of the most popular fan theories around (and one that is yet to be confirmed... or infirmed as soon as the showrunners let Bran come back to that tower in EP3).

I mean, since season 1, people have wondered about the "lapse in taste" from Ned, which was very out of character. I mean, he's not the kind to sleep around while he's married and has a son already, he could recognize his bastard son since the heir is older, he's not the kind to bring his child, and leave his mother somewhere, and if she was dead... he clams up when asked. And suddenly, out of the blue, he finally says to Jon before heading to King's Landing "next time we see, I'll tell you about your mother" (which, of course, never happens).

Enter the R+L=J hypothesis. We know that Robert rose in rebellion against the Targaryen because the straw that broke the camel's back was that Rhaegar Targaryen kidnapped his betrothed, Lyanna Stark, and his father Aerys executed the Stark lords when they showed up and had the audacity to ask about it. War ensues, and Robert massacres every Targaryen he can find, including the little ones, save Viserys and Daenerys who were sent away just in time. Robert gets on the Iron Throne, marries Cersei because Lyanna is dead, and then Ned heads back to Winterfell... along with a "bastard child".

The big hypothesis is that, when Ned tracked his sister, he found her dying on childbirth... Robert would have asked that Targaryen bastard to be put to death immediately, but Ned wouldn't have killed his own nephew. So, he brought him back, let everyone assume that the "bastard child" is his, nor his sister's, and kept Jon safe.

There's a big video that shows exactly how many hints are in the show that are there to establish that story (stop at 7:25 if you really want to avoid any out-of-show information).

HUH_sl

shitlord
And yet she wouldn't have died from those things while inside a large funeral pyre?
The funeral pyre had Kings blood, human sacrifices, blood magic, dragons being born. Something else was going on, something magical we didn't really understand that was bigger then just a tent on fire which helps make the outcome more believable.

This episode was just her pushing over some torches and starting a fire. The first time Dany was apart of some kind of amazing magical event, the second time she just has super powers.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The funeral pyre had Kings blood, human sacrifices, blood magic, dragons being born. Something else was going on, something magical we didn't really understand that was bigger then just a tent on fire which helps make the outcome more believable.

This episode was just her pushing over some torches and starting a fire. The first time Dany was apart of some kind of amazing magical event, the second time she just has super powers.
But comon man this isnt the book. Like others have said they have been watering the Dany being fire immune plant for 5 fucking seasons. Why not embrace it now? It isnt like she just learned how to fucking fly all of the sudden, the groundwork was laid since the start.

HUH_sl

shitlord
I probably came off more negative then I meant it too. The nitpick about the lack of oxygen was more a half joke then anything and I am okay with her being fireproof. My main complaint being more about how quick and easy her win came to her. I thought it was just portrayed poorly, the dialog, the room was huge, the fire spread so quickly, the Khal's acted like panicking children and her trump card was 'fuck you I have super powers.' It felt like the cheap easy way to get Dany where she needed to be. But I realize they really didn't have any other option, not with the limited amount of time they are working with.

I'm probably just clouded by my dislike for Dany as I have similar complains for most of her her big moments.

Column_sl

shitlord
Sorry, Column is in the right (painful to admit). Book readers are being dickheads for no reason except to flaunt their extra knowledge. This is basically a thread not at all intended for book readers so to pop in and drop that equation is shitty when you figured it out from the books. The show obviously has details but nothing compared to the books in this regard (which I've read). If you've read the books just be quiet. Is that so hard? Or do you really have to make the extra effort to "tee hee I know something!" in here when he specifically said "so Book readers I do not want your input if this has any precedence..."?
They won't stop it is beyond them to let people that avoid all GOT info to figure it out for themselves.

Like that dickhead who posted above, no matter how many times you tell them you do not want their input they absolutely have no brain filter when it comes to the show.

Tuco used to regulate this thread pretty well for us, but he has given up, and with no moderation it is pretty much just another potential place they can ruin it for you.

You would think with the two fucking threads they already have it would be enough, but they need attention that badly that they have to ruin another one.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's a theory, it's not a spoiler. The two of you aren't too bright are you? If you don't like people posting theories on TV Shows you probably just stay off the internet.