Gravy's Cooking Thread

depends, almost always start with dark rum than add a second complimentary liquor depending on what you are going for. amaretto, coffee, banana, cinnamon. etc. it's not all that different than using extracts to heighten the flavor profile.

I feel like a faggot for even typing 'flavor profile'

l

Binkles_sl

shitlord
As far as I know, they are the same. Okay for protein, fiber, omega 3's fatty acids. They don't have an incredible amount of flavor, but their texture is like poppy seeds/tapioca. So, nutty and ever so mildly aromatic?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yes, in the same way that corn stalks grow out of your poop when you eat popcorn.

Aevry

Mobile Game Hunter
Looking for any recommendations on pressure cookers. I love cooking but lack the motivation to get really gung-ho sally when I'm just making stuff for myself. Would you guys consider it a good purchase for single living?

Looking for any recommendations on pressure cookers. I love cooking but lack the motivation to get really gung-ho sally when I'm just making stuff for myself. Would you guys consider it a good purchase for single living?
I like em for some stuff. good for cooking soups and stews if you dont have a whole day to kill. I have an older Fissler, expensive but its top quality.

fissler-vitaquick-pressure-cooker.jpg

Some point soon I wanna get a Thermo Pot cooker, kinda a big outlay price wise since I have never actually used one.

Thermo Pot (5L) 01.jpg

Neph_sl

shitlord

That said, I havePresto 6 Quartwhich is only $50. It has a recessed locking mechanism, and it's shaped like their 'best value' pressure cooker that costs twice as much.

However, I've only really used it for stews so far, but for that it's been pretty awesome. I literally just made another stew for dinner tonight and the general recipe is pretty simple: brown meat, add liquid, cover and bring to pressure, cook for 8 minutes and then quickly release pressure by running the entire thing under cold tap water. Add potatoes/veggies and bring to pressure again, cook for 4 minutes, quickly release pressure again, and then serve.

I'm not huge on following recipes, but with a pressure cooker, you definitely need to, especially the first time to get the timing correct. Cook it for too long and your veggies turn to mush, too short and your meat is still tough. That said, though, there's still room for experimenting, like tonight I used half beer and half stock for the cooking liquid and it turned out great.

I'm living alone right now, and I think it's a good investment. It'll make enough for about 6 portions which works for me since I prefer to cook once and then eat leftovers for a few days.

Aevry

Mobile Game Hunter
I was google-fuing the Presto, so I think that might be a nice introductory price for trying out the pressure cooker. Thanks for the info Merk /Neph.

One plus for being single and cooking is that maintaining a healthy weight is a ton easier when you're not having to make food whenever the other person is hungry.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Fagor is consistently rated the best pressure cooker brand by Cooks Illustrated. I love mine, personally. ~$20 bucks more or so then other brands. When you start experimenting with pressure cookers the thing to remember is that it cuts cooking time by 1/4, so a four-hour stew is now a one-hour stew. The absolute best use of them is making stocks/broths though. Because if you get the pressure right the liquid doesn't boil at all while it is making, despite being above "boiling" so none of the particulate matter that normally gets created and you have to sieve out ever happens. You get crystal clear stocks and broths.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
What you bros paying for meat? $15 for 10 pounds of boneless country style ribs.

rrr_img_15200.jpg

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
That would be about 30-45 here. Snatch that shit up, bro.
Hah it was $45 before the sale price. They also had some amazing sirloin porkchops for the same priced I picked up yesterday, originally was planning up picking up more of those today but they didnt thave any so I had to settle for the ribs
frown.png

Work in progress;

rrr_img_15216.jpg

rrr_img_15217.jpg

rrr_img_15218.jpg

rrr_img_15240.jpg

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone got a good pasta salad recipe that's easy to make a ton of at once?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Been eating alot of this lately, it's a cheap and easy lunch.

Ingredients

2 Chicken Breast
3 Avocado
4 Green Onions
1 Cup Cilantro (pre-chopped)
2 Tbsp Mayo
1 Lime

Instructions

1. Boil chicken until it is no longer pink.
2. Tear Chicken into shreds and mix in items.
3. Serve with chips or lettuce.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Stop boiling that shit. Stop it. Just... stop.

Use a tsp or two of olive oil. Sautee that shit. You'll get an ass-ton more flavor.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
^^ What he said.

Your mixture looks like it could use some seasoning too. Some garlic and salt would go pretty good in there.