Gravy's Cooking Thread

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Need to butcher a goose maybe and some turkeys. I am decent at doing skinless butcher on chicken, but when it comes to cooking these 2 birds, I'm guessing preserving the skin would be better? I honestly cant recall deep frying a turkey a decade ago whether skin was left on. Never really roasted a bird and I dont have a rotisserie.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Need to butcher a goose maybe and some turkeys. I am decent at doing skinless butcher on chicken, but when it comes to cooking these 2 birds, I'm guessing preserving the skin would be better? I honestly cant recall deep frying a turkey a decade ago whether skin was left on. Never really roasted a bird and I dont have a rotisserie.
the skin is the best organ

• 1Barf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

Skin on, do not remove unless you wish to ruin your meal. Turkey is always deep fried whole with skin. Goose is always roasted with skin, just need to render the fat appropriately like cooking duck to get it crispy.

What exactly are you trying to do? Are you just getting lined up for Thanksgiving or something, are you out hunting and just trying to figure out how to preserve said birds for future consumption?

• 1Like

Sludig

Skin on, do not remove unless you wish to ruin your meal. Turkey is always deep fried whole with skin. Goose is always roasted with skin, just need to render the fat appropriately like cooking duck to get it crispy.

What exactly are you trying to do? Are you just getting lined up for Thanksgiving or something, are you out hunting and just trying to figure out how to preserve said birds for future consumption?
One pet goose that's 6 months old with some neuro problem keeps falling over. Then I have 4 turkeys and didnt want to keep quite all of them, so eating at least one tom, and the other of 3 white turks is a massive hen I raised, so semi pet but then again the big meatiest bitch of the 4.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
One pet goose that's 6 months old with some neuro problem keeps falling over. Then I have 4 turkeys and didnt want to keep quite all of them, so eating at least one tom, and the other of 3 white turks is a massive hen I raised, so semi pet but then again the big meatiest bitch of the 4.
If you go to butcher, are you looking to do whole? Are they all getting butchered at the same time, or are you going to space them out.

Part of me says with a turkeys, butcher room cook one whole that weekend, and maybe bisect the other ones, vacuum pack and freeze that's if you got a big enough vacuum packer. You could always order them. Then just read them like chicken. I guess just butchering that many birds and having the freezer space is going to be the issue, especially if you tried to keep most of them whole.

Sludig

If you go to butcher, are you looking to do whole? Are they all getting butchered at the same time, or are you going to space them out.

Part of me says with a turkeys, butcher room cook one whole that weekend, and maybe bisect the other ones, vacuum pack and freeze that's if you got a big enough vacuum packer. You could always order them. Then just read them like chicken. I guess just butchering that many birds and having the freezer space is going to be the issue, especially if you tried to keep most of them whole.
By butcher it's me doing it, though I've only ever done chickens, skinless is easiest is why I was hoping that would be ok. Plucking em is a bitch and I need to get boiling water to scald them.

No vacuum packer, my 30 strong flock is mostly for eggs/pets and stuff like Guinea's just for something fun and different.

I do have a deep freeze with room for a few carcasses, but I'm not sure what I can freeze them with without a sealer, saran + tin foil?

I'd let everyone live, but many are too dumb to come into the coop so far at night, so I may need to eat them before they freeze sitting out on the fence at night.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
be a real man
5c3d186932a1eec2b5aef5cba9a9d242.png

the peanut oil is the most expensive component

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
As rare as you do it, that would be one fear of wasting all that oil.
as long as your oil doesn't go above the smoke point and you filter right away (super fine, using a cloth/coffee filter) and you put it in an air tight container, you can reuse it until it goes rancid, which should take many months.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
as long as your oil doesn't go above the smoke point and you filter right away (super fine, using a cloth/coffee filter) and you put it in an air tight container, you can reuse it until it goes rancid, which should take many months.
Or you can just fry up enough food to last a few months and put them in the freezer.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
By butcher it's me doing it, though I've only ever done chickens, skinless is easiest is why I was hoping that would be ok. Plucking em is a bitch and I need to get boiling water to scald them.

No vacuum packer, my 30 strong flock is mostly for eggs/pets and stuff like Guinea's just for something fun and different.

I do have a deep freeze with room for a few carcasses, but I'm not sure what I can freeze them with without a sealer, saran + tin foil?

I'd let everyone live, but many are too dumb to come into the coop so far at night, so I may need to eat them before they freeze sitting out on the fence at night.
Yeah, I figured you were doing the butchering yourself. Really might want to get a vacuum packer. Amazon has some decent ones cheap. If you try to use foil or plastic wrap, you'll end up with freezer burn more thank likely.

You can get one for like 40-50 bucks and 10 or so for the bag roll. It'd be worth it not to risk loosing the meat.

If you don't want to have to pluck everything, I guess that's cool but you're really missing out. Might not need to keep the birds whole but at least leave the skin and like I was saying earlier just quarter them or bisect them. You could easily freeze those portions, or hell just break the whole bird down. Sounds like you already know how, just don't want to have to deal with the pain in the ass of the feathers.

I guess at the end the turkeys if you just use the meat without the skin that's probably acceptable, but it would be sacrilegious to skin the goose. One option is to butcher some and always give it to neighbors or family and friends.

Sludig

Ya, doing more poorly today goose slaughter tommorow, who's got simple good recipies to put her to best use?

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Gave the Blackstone a trial run. Smash burgers, onions, and mushrooms on the flat top at the same time. Worked like a charm. Still need to learn the controls to get the right cook temperatures, but it works as advertised. Being able to grill all the buns at the same time was an A+ bonus.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users