Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, we're only buying it when it's on sale typically, and even then the prices are stupid, well, like everything else. My parents did the same thing with always saving the grease, as did my grandparents. They always had a jar of it on the counter, and I've always done the same.

HEB does sell I want to say a 1 1/2lb package of off cuts of quality bacon, nice thick pieces, for about 4.50. I'll buy it when I just need bacon for a specific recipe, but you're kind of rolling the dice on whether or not you're going to get any large whole pieces. I'm also found it to be a little saltier than I prefer, but for the price it works.
for me it's costco at 3.99, of course in costco sizing heh, just portion it out b4 you freeze it

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
for me it's costco at 3.99, of course in costco sizing heh, just portion it out b4 you freeze it
I just hate shopping there. Yeah, there are deals to be had, but our location is a royal shit show. It's hard for me to leave there without wanting to murder someone.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I just hate shopping there. Yeah, there are deals to be had, but our location is a royal shit show. It's hard for me to leave there without wanting to murder someone.
i would probably hate my location if it didn't have self checkout, parking is a mess tho, but it's costco i intend to use it as much as i can, my yearly eye exam is coming up, if my eyes are getting worse and i need to up my prescription i guess i can checkout those glasses, but the booth is always fucking busy, like christ, how many ppl need glasses?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i would probably hate my location if it didn't have self checkout, parking is a mess tho, but it's costco i intend to use it as much as i can, my yearly eye exam is coming up, if my eyes are getting worse and i need to up my prescription i guess i can checkout those glasses, but the booth is always fucking busy, like christ, how many ppl need glasses?
Haha, I really don't want to think about having to get another eye exam anytime soon. I'm blind as a bat without them. My problem is our location functions for all of the Woodlands and so it's soccer mom City, and you dare not go there during the weekends. I've been either Costco's in the past and they're not near as busy as the one up here. It's just a f fucking nightmare, and I'd rather save my sanity versus $10 on a grocery bill.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Haha, I really don't want to think about having to get another eye exam anytime soon. I'm blind as a bat without them. My problem is our location functions for all of the Woodlands and so it's soccer mom City, and you dare not go there during the weekends. I've been either Costco's in the past and they're not near as busy as the one up here. It's just a f fucking nightmare, and I'd rather save my sanity versus $10 on a grocery bill.
i was gonna drive my neighbor for his cataract surgery last week, but the snow let up and he had his son do it instead (i mean i was just being nice, but if your lazy ass son can do it, get a family member then, ha)

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i was gonna drive my neighbor for his cataract surgery last week, but the snow let up and he had his son do it instead (i mean i was just being nice, but if your lazy ass son can do it, get a family member then, ha)
Well that's actually very nice of you and that's what community is supposed to be about. Yeah his son should have probably taken him but the fact that you were willing to offer the service says a lot about your character. Used to be used to help out your neighbors or community whenever necessary because that makes for a good America.

No bullshit , though, good on you.

We have a lady in our cul-de-sac who's retired but she's having to take care of her elderly mom up in Oklahoma, so out of town all the time.

My wife is friends with her, and we've had a few hard freezes within the past month. I went ahead and went over in winterized her pipes and what have you. Couple of years ago I tried to do the same thing but another neighbor screwed with what I had done and we ended up having to use a meter key to kill the main because of burst pipes that he removed the insulation I had placed. Heated up paying her repair bill, after I spoke with him, but he was at least willing to take blame for making the wrong decision and make right what he needed to do for his neighbor. It's one of the only reasons I still live where I live, that I know everybody and there is a sense of community here, despite being in a big city.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
anyone ever heard of this?
df01385d77040ccb58da420f8716f481.png

Tip Top Temp Attachable Grill Temperature Regulator (TTT-03 Kettle)
snow probably messed w/ my delivery but you basically place it on top of your smokestack or you kettle vent and it'll regulate it to whatever temp you set

i'm certain it works like an old school thermostat
h1300246-800px-wm.jpg

also they got me, since now i'm returning shit to kohls (amazon has now limited returns to ups and charges for it, but still free from wholefoods/kohls) i bought my first kitchen thing from kohls, a hamilton beach can opener.

i've been using a manual 1 for 25years? the same one has followed me but it's always sketchy since i can get cut so i wanted a "safe" opener. it's ironic that when i unboxed it, the cardboard cut me... which i mean i open a lot of cardboard and this is either the first or second time it's ever happened.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Scrolling through a feed and saw this article:

The 3 chefs agreed that this is the best bacon:
1706808813201.png

That isn't fucking bacon. Bacon is both cured and smoked. If it is "uncured" it isn't goddamn bacon. Fuck everyone who plays this fucking bullshit, especially "chefs".

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 512344

That isn't fucking bacon. Bacon is both cured and smoked. If it is "uncured" it isn't goddamn bacon. Fuck everyone who plays this fucking bullshit, especially "chefs".
That shit is something like $16/lb.

Buy this instead.
Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 14-27-58 Wright Brand Thick Cut Hickory Real Wood Smoked Bacon 24 oz ...png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
along w/ this, yesterday i tried to buy some firebricks
804eae5dafd213c17a47bedfa407dee1.png

i wanted to insulate my firebox (i also bought a cone vornado thing for the pit), you know, just to play around, whatever

anyway my first interaction i asked the guy at the grill section (my thinking is it's either in the grill area, the garden area or the concrete area), so he google speaks "fire bricks" and says there thats it.

i'm like, thats fire logs, not bricks

he's like you sure? i'm like yea, i know what a fire log is

so he tries again "fire bricks"

and he says, nope, none found, i take out my phone and of course i can't get reception cuz it's in the warehouse.

then i look over his device and i said

thats "fire break"

i want "fire bricks"

so he says it again and it comes up "fire break"

i said type it out dude,

he said "i don't know how to type well"

so i just took it and deleted "eak" and put in "ick"

he said, wow it's here but theres no asile number, i said yea thats why i asked you, he has no idea where it is

so i went to the 3 sections and didn't see fire bricks anywhere and i just made an order, and as you see it's delayed, probably b/c they can't find it

i'm not crazy btw, i know how to order shit
0c2e93d1a511ff0b7f32fd7def689596.png

i call them up and they said, oh youre the "fire brick" guy, i'm like yup, he said yea these don't exist here, he's like we don't have em here.

"you don't have 6 out of 439? "

"we don't have any, it was an error"

so i said "439 bricks just disappeared?" and he said thats what we've been spending the whole day finding out.

• 2Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

View attachment 512344

It is cured. Check the asterisk next to no added Nitrates. They just cure it with celery powder which has "natural" nitrates in it so they don't have to use "chemicals".

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It is cured. Check the asterisk next to no added Nitrates. They just cure it with celery powder which has "natural" nitrates in it so they don't have to use "chemicals".
Is this some weird FDA thing where you can call it uncured as long as you didnt bust out the prague powder?

LiquidDeath

I know that trick, but the package specifically says "Not preserved. No nitrates or nitrites." They tell you directly on the package it is not preserved and, thus, not bacon. I'll take them at their faggot word that they aren't selling actual bacon for a price that only a retard would pay.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I know that trick, but the package specifically says "Not preserved. No nitrates or nitrites." They tell you directly on the package it is not preserved and, thus, not bacon. I'll take them at their faggot word that they aren't selling actual bacon for a price that only a retard would pay.
It is cured. Brutul spelled it out pretty plainly so what point are you trying to make here?

LiquidDeath

It is cured. Brutul spelled it out pretty plainly so what point are you trying to make here?

They are going after the health asshole, "nitrites will kill you" crowd by claiming their meat is uncured while clearly still curing it using the literal exact same nitrites. They are a bunch of cunts so I'm going to make fun of them for calling their product bacon but also stating it is both uncured and not preserved which would make it not bacon, despite it being both cured and preserved.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They are going after the health asshole, "nitrites will kill you" crowd by claiming their meat is uncured while clearly still curing it using the literal exact same nitrites. They are a bunch of cunts so I'm going to make fun of them for calling their product bacon but also stating it is both uncured and not preserved which would make it not bacon, despite it being cured and, thus, preserved.
Sure but the FDA is to blame for creating the definition of 'not preserved and uncured' which allows it to include preserved and cured meat.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
all this bacon talk makes me wanna find a package of bentons and try it out, you'd think it'd be easy since i'm in tn. (i see that a wine shop might carry it near me, lulz)