Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
yeah, its nuts. we had this brief golden age where you could easily search for recipes on the internet, and it looked like cookbooks were dead.

then the modern internet ruined recipes and cookbooks are lookin pretty great.
Yep. I don't need to know how indigenous peoples of whatever inspired this recipe or you were harnessing your energy to make the greatest macaroni and cheese. Just give me the goddamn recipe.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I have vanilla beans out the ass thanks to my trips to africa. Those B quality beans you get off of amazon and what not? They sell for about 10$ for a couple hundred where they grow them in Madagascar, basically a huge handful. Maybe 20-30$ per kilo? Plus you can get extremely high quality extra large beans there if you know where to look, better than anything I've ever seen for sale in america, but I don't waste those beans on extract.

This is the vodka I use for my extract. It's exactly what you want in an extract liquor, a very simple flavor profile that gives way to whatever you add easily. I probably put about 30 beans per 1.75l It'll turn mostly black in a couple days, and after about a month will taste very good. I let my bottles sit for about a year , just giving them a good spin and shake once a month before I use them or filter into smaller bottles and give them as gifts. WAY better than any extract you'll get from the store.

View attachment 516218
That's actually pretty good vodka.

Is there a noticeable difference between the stuff you got from Africa versus the regular Madagascar vanilla beans you get from the store? I just don't know how long that stuff is typically sitting in a bottle on a shelf somewhere versus getting it fresh from whatever shithole country.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
That's actually pretty good vodka.

Is there a noticeable difference between the stuff you got from Africa versus the regular Madagascar vanilla beans you get from the store? I just don't know how long that stuff is typically sitting in a bottle on a shelf somewhere versus getting it fresh from whatever shithole country.
The basic ones your find most places, no, they are pretty much the same, though generally they seem fresher and have a slightly oilier consistency, but the difference is pretty minor unless you look for it. The really high quality ones, yes there’s a difference. They are massive and plump, and have a lighter brown color. They make good gifts, but I’m not sure there’s any real advantage over the cheaper ones.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The basic ones your find most places, no, they are pretty much the same, though generally they seem fresher and have a slightly oilier consistency, but the difference is pretty minor unless you look for it. The really high quality ones, yes there’s a difference. They are massive and plump, and have a lighter brown color. They make good gifts, but I’m not sure there’s any real advantage over the cheaper ones.
Right on.

Siliconemelons

Thanks for all the advice on vanilla - some of the sites say not to use grade a because they have more water in them - but whatever - seems everywhere the consensus is- making your own is simple and vastly better than store bought at minimum

also, I totally concur with the state of modern web recipes - it is insane that you have to get through 5 pages of day in the life of some city liberal woman to get 5 eggs and 1 cup of flower.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Thanks for all the advice on vanilla - some of the sites say not to use grade a because they have more water in them - but whatever - seems everywhere the consensus is- making your own is simple and vastly better than store bought at minimum

also, I totally concur with the state of modern web recipes - it is insane that you have to get through 5 pages of day in the life of some city liberal woman to get 5 eggs and 1 cup of flower.
yea every online recipe i always press
e74853af0e632d927dc1e68f97e6d7bb.png

and then pgup once or twice

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

yea every online recipe i always press
e74853af0e632d927dc1e68f97e6d7bb.png

and then pgup once or twice

sadly they have started putting the recipe in the middle or bottom 3rd so I guess that’s the page up lol

Put chicken in croc pop high for 3 hours, it takes me 3 hours to read this ridiculousness

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
sadly they have started putting the recipe in the middle or bottom 3rd so I guess that’s the page up lol

Put chicken in croc pop high for 3 hours, it takes me 3 hours to read this ridiculousness
the pgup was for the comments at the end

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
36db8c602af3a4f6025789cd45a1c82c.png

i bought the bottom one cuz it was on sale but i didn't like the app, theres no history (temp over time), so i'm gonna return it and get the inkbird, i've been using the wired inkbird for a while and the app is nice so i'll just stick with them.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My temp thing broke and I just winged it in my last brisket so I may get that one- I was looking for a WiFi one
yea i've been reading the pros/cons of that vs wifi, i believe the probes for wife are even shorter (as in you don't have to stick it in so far, you have to stick both to a certain line), but the inkbird base also acts as a bt repeater so distance should be god, idk, i mean i have to test it out first, i might wanna just test the crappy one now

Siliconemelons

So I got my vanilla beans, they smell so good :cool:

Anyhow, the package came with instructions for making extract...of course, they are totally different than anything posted here or that I read online LOL.

So I came to the conclusion (also mentioned on some recipes) that, what you do to the bean really effects "time" to get to where you want to get to on the vanilla extract.

So I did a mish-mash of all of them. I cut the tips off top and bottom, tossed them in, slit the center- but not fully and opened, tossed them in. 750ml Seagram's Vodka 40% alc, I could not find anything higher %, looked top shelf and bottom- all 40%/80proof - so I got this from the middle... I like their Ginger Ale :p so...

I still got half the package - again depending on who you read and how many beans per liquid... I did 12. I got 13 more, I may buy another bottle and fully split them and see side by side how things go. Figure I will buy the nice bottles and labels and give them as Christmas presents this year.

varnelarrr.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah problem is the everclear shit is illegal in many states so you cant find it. the only state I know around me here in MI is Indiana that sells it. You can always make a still and make your own, lol. My brother in law makes it.
My mom smuggled the shit from Poland a few times. Not sure if she is able to now days with the security and all that. But she used to make all kinds of extracts with it. Like raspberry, blueberry, and sugar etc. Then she would strain it, and water it down to a more drinkable liquor.

I have a recipe for grand mariner that uses sugar, tons of citrus peels...

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
used the tagine again for curry, so far it's my favorite of the 3 i tried, instantpot/crockpot, gravy is thiccc af

• 2Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Just tried to have dinner at a local place that labels itself rustic Italian cuisine and bakery.

And, I learned that they definitely make their own bread. I know this because they served me a sandwich with "bread" that still had raw dough in the middle.

How the fuck do you cut into bread, see that it's raw, and still serve it as a sandwich?

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

Used my grade a beans and leftover b ones to try and make vanilla bean paste

Talk about something with 5000 different recipes lol so I just gave one a shot. Will see how it turns out, only thing I did was subbed clear rum for vodka as I had it laying around. Oh well we shall see when I make vanilla sugar cookies

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Used my grade a beans and leftover b ones to try and make vanilla bean paste

Talk about something with 5000 different recipes lol so I just gave one a shot. Will see how it turns out, only thing I did was subbed clear rum for vodka as I had it laying around. Oh well we shall see when I make vanilla sugar cookies
I think we got a jar of the paste from HomeGoods, and it's great for when we need vanilla. Don't remember what we paid, but it wasn't expensive. That place has some surprisingly good deals on spices, oils, and cookware at times.

Picked up a bunch of Le Creuset stone ware dirt cheap that we've been using for years to go with all my cast iron.

Siliconemelons

I think we got a jar of the paste from HomeGoods, and it's great for when we need vanilla. Don't remember what we paid, but it wasn't expensive. That place has some surprisingly good deals on spices, oils, and cookware at times.

Picked up a bunch of Le Creuset stone ware dirt cheap that we've been using for years to go with all my cast iron.

Yeah mine is very liquid - so I do not know to strain it and get rid of all the excess rum- or do as they say and let it sit to firm up and let the alcohol mellow.

I have never used vanilla paste so I do not have a reference like I do with extract.

Homegoods or Marshals had some french real copper (and stainless, we know don't put food on raw copper...) cookware, but only had really odd pieces - looked up the common ones I would want and - for once the "Retail price / our price" sticker was true, the things were 300-500$ and they had em for 50-150 but only small quart pots and a sauce pot... and if I was going to go down that road I would want to get a full matching set.