Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
yea it's great for kids, especially when they get their own little basket
293fb0f191e39ab0d83fc56be4b35856.png

they'll just be watching that shit cook for hours and having fun cuz it's "their" food
Reminds me of Thanksgiving on occasions when I grew up. Mom used to pick up Cornish game hens instead of turkey, and everyone got their own little bird. When you're a kid, that kinda deal was pretty special because like you said, it's your food, and it was just fun.

Back when I was in college and close to their house, I used a deep fry those like a turkey for Thanksgiving. They were nice if you had a lot of people coming over, we're always a big hit when you do them Cajun style. God I haven't had that in 20 plus years. You could typically fit three of them on the turkey stand, and they cook pretty damn fast.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Was trying to figure out what to do with all the stuff I made last weekend for the Mediterranean grilling.

Decided to make lasagna with a white sauce. Picked apart the rotisserie chicken and broke apart the kofta.

Onions, sweet peppers, fennel, garlic, and mushrooms sauteed, deglaze with white wine, and then added some of that trader Joe's lemon alfredo, another jar of Alfredo that we had on hand. That stuff is really good, and if I'm being lazy and don't want to have to make it myself it's spot on.

Had a container of creme fraiche in the fridge, and we picked up a whole milk ricotta, mix that together with an egg yolk fennel fronds and parsley.

Layered it up with some spinach lasagna noodles and regular noodles, and each layer head the proteins, a mix of Italian cheeses, fresh mozzarella that we got on sale, and some kale, cherry tomatoes,and spinach I needed to use up.

I've made those type of weird leftover lasagna in the past with different ingredients that's a little apprehensive on how it would turn out, but the wife liked it, and we have so much of it she ended up bringing it over to a neighbor's last night. The retired lady said it was amazing. I think it's pretty good but it's missing just maybe a bit of spiciness. Ended up being extremely rich, which is okay and I guess you would pair it with a good acidic sort of salad. I think I'll try to tune everything in over the weekend.

Still for using just leftovers I was pleasantly surprised.

I didn't get anything photogenic...

IMG_20240502_215846455~2.jpg

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Was trying to figure out what to do with all the stuff I made last weekend for the Mediterranean grilling.

Decided to make lasagna with a white sauce. Picked apart the rotisserie chicken and broke apart the kofta.

Onions, sweet peppers, fennel, garlic, and mushrooms sauteed, deglaze with white wine, and then added some of that trader Joe's lemon alfredo, another jar of Alfredo that we had on hand. That stuff is really good, and if I'm being lazy and don't want to have to make it myself it's spot on.

Had a container of creme fraiche in the fridge, and we picked up a whole milk ricotta, mix that together with an egg yolk fennel fronds and parsley.

Layered it up with some spinach lasagna noodles and regular noodles, and each layer head the proteins, a mix of Italian cheeses, fresh mozzarella that we got on sale, and some kale, cherry tomatoes,and spinach I needed to use up.

I've made those type of weird leftover lasagna in the past with different ingredients that's a little apprehensive on how it would turn out, but the wife liked it, and we have so much of it she ended up bringing it over to a neighbor's last night. The retired lady said it was amazing. I think it's pretty good but it's missing just maybe a bit of spiciness. Ended up being extremely rich, which is okay and I guess you would pair it with a good acidic sort of salad. I think I'll try to tune everything in over the weekend.

Still for using just leftovers I was pleasantly surprised.

I didn't get anything photogenic...

View attachment 527416
Looks disgustamazing.

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Looks disgustamazing.
Yeah we cut into it before it had set up after resting. I tried to get a good shot on a plate, but it just kind of looked like a blob. It was late and took longer than I had expected, and we were hungry.

IMG_20240502_215837505~2.jpg

I think I lost track of time I was listening to that Russian techno music Araysar Araysar posted in the Ukraine thread.

I do need to either find deeper foil trays or buy a nice ceramic super deep dish. I'd like to do a lasagna with maybe eight layers or something, but you have to be very conservative I guess with the layering. I'm no expert on making it, but I've been watching some Italian chef videos on various forms of lasagna, and some of the stuff they make is almost like a cake in the consistency between the sauces and the noodles.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah we cut into it before it had set up after resting. I tried to get a good shot on a plate, but it just kind of looked like a blob. It was late and took longer than I had expected, and we were hungry.

View attachment 527417

I think I lost track of time I was listening to that Russian techno music Araysar Araysar posted in the Ukraine thread.

I do need to either find deeper foil trays or buy a nice ceramic super deep dish. I'd like to do a lasagna with maybe eight layers or something, but you have to be very conservative I guess with the layering. I'm no expert on making it, but I've been watching some Italian chef videos on various forms of lasagna, and some of the stuff they make is almost like a cake in the consistency between the sauces and the noodles.
yea i had gotten a lasagne set last year
ee5d8077c5a4fc0a8dad531ce1bc4390.png

i hate it cuz it takes up so much space but it looks pretty (i mean lets be real thats the only reason for it), i only really bought it cuz it was on sale for 25$

i use the middle one for my wife and i, should honestly use the big one cuz the middle one w/ the layers and gravy i put on is a wonder it doesn't overflow.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
yea i had gotten a lasagne set last year
ee5d8077c5a4fc0a8dad531ce1bc4390.png

i hate it cuz it takes up so much space but it looks pretty (i mean lets be real thats the only reason for it), i only really bought it cuz it was on sale for 25$

i use the middle one for my wife and i, should honestly use the big one cuz the middle one w/ the layers and gravy i put on is a wonder it doesn't overflow.
I got a fairly deep enameled Stone lasagna pan that might be about the same size that I'll use at times, but I just wish it was like maybe a couple inches taller. I'd be completely happy if I could get one that was maybe 4-5 in tall. I don't necessarily need the top of the lasagna to be at the top but it gives you a lot more flexibility if you want to do a ton of layers.

I was just rooting around when I made this though and the deepest dish that I had that would allow me to use all the leftover ingredients was that roasting tray, and I'll typically buy those when I see them on sale for when I do barbecue or holiday meals. They're nice to have just as a backup for storage and if I don't cook anything in them I'll typically wash them out and reuse them, and you can get a few runs out of them.

Wonder if I actually just used an enameled oval shaped Dutch oven. I don't have one, but that could be an option. I guess the other thing is one of my non-stick turkey sized roasting pans. That probably would have been the best option when I did this, and with a non-stick I probably would have gotten some really good caramelization on the bottom.

Anyways food for thought in the future.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I got a fairly deep enameled Stone lasagna pan that might be about the same size that I'll use at times, but I just wish it was like maybe a couple inches taller. I'd be completely happy if I could get one that was maybe 4-5 in tall. I don't necessarily need the top of the lasagna to be at the top but it gives you a lot more flexibility if you want to do a ton of layers.

I was just rooting around when I made this though and the deepest dish that I had that would allow me to use all the leftover ingredients was that roasting tray, and I'll typically buy those when I see them on sale for when I do barbecue or holiday meals. They're nice to have just as a backup for storage and if I don't cook anything in them I'll typically wash them out and reuse them, and you can get a few runs out of them.

Wonder if I actually just used an enameled oval shaped Dutch oven. I don't have one, but that could be an option. I guess the other thing is one of my non-stick turkey sized roasting pans. That probably would have been the best option when I did this, and with a non-stick I probably would have gotten some really good caramelization on the bottom.

Anyways food for thought in the future.
if you really wanna up the lasange game i've seen the trays where they size it to the sheet
e593be70b2bf2511abab17a2d814f59f.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
if you really wanna up the lasange game i've seen the trays where they size it to the sheet
e593be70b2bf2511abab17a2d814f59f.png
How deep is it though? I mean that's kind of a fun thing if you wanted to do a variety. But I could definitely put something like that to use, or you're not eating on the same damn lasagna all week.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Made this a few times now. It’s damned delicious!

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

Made this a few times now. It’s damned delicious!
Looks pretty good. I have a hard time doing some sort of stir fry or whatever with fish though. Shrimp or some other crustacean no problem, but I'd rather have a whole piece of fish and show I guess you want to call it respect to it, even if all you're doing is frying a filet, or grilling it, if that makes any sense.

I just can't imagine it not disintegrating if you're trying to get a good char. But I guess the cornstarch or whatever will help it stay together.

The flavors look great though.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Do we need Soygen Soygen to rule on whether lasagna with white sauce is actually lasagna and whether it's a better or worse offense than using cottage cheese in place of ricotta?

• 1Worf

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looks pretty good. I have a hard time doing some sort of stir fry or whatever with fish though. Shrimp or some other crustacean no problem, but I'd rather have a whole piece of fish and show I guess you want to call it respect to it, even if all you're doing is frying a filet, or grilling it, if that makes any sense.

I just can't imagine it not disintegrating if you're trying to get a good char. But I guess the cornstarch or whatever will help it stay together.

The flavors look great though.

Like you say, the rice flour keeps it intact. I’ve generally been averse to frying fish but this is one of those recipes you can’t fuck up if you follow it closely. It’s a great recipe site because the accompanying YouTube clips help clear up any grey areas.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Like you say, the rice flour keeps it intact. I’ve generally been averse to frying fish but this is one of those recipes you can’t fuck up if you follow it closely. It’s a great recipe site because the accompanying YouTube clips help clear up any grey areas.
I just haven't ever thought about using pieces of the filet, especially a thicker flaked fattier fish and a stir fry because of the fact that I figured it would disintegrate. But I guess if you put a hearty enough batter on it, you could easily make it work. I just hate having to fry stuff, especially with the price of oil nowadays.

At least I got the new wok and I could always try to shallow fry it and maybe only have to use like a half a cup or something. I bet that recipe would be spectacular with shrimp though.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I find most regular casserole dishes too shallow for just about everything the way I make stuff, so have been thinking of going the route of roasting pans with higher walls that can be used as casserole or lasagna pans.

Have thought to just do several smaller lasagnas in bread loaf pans, too. Able to do more than one type easier and cook faster.

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Anyone have any experience or opinions with one of these air fryers?

1714917599273.png

1714917675036.png

1714917797989.png

Any thoughts on any of these?

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
  • 2Like