Gravy's Cooking Thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
How long do you leave it in? You start to hit the 3-4 hour mark and it makes the pork taste very... mushy and weird.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I've never done pork chops in the sous vide, but I've done a ton of pork tenderloins and they come out awesome.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Maybe you just don't like the rare side of medium rare pork. I definitely do not like it at 140F. Try 145F.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
first time i made gluten free cake, basically i guess instead of flour, just uses substitute like rice flour and you need xanthum gum to make shit stick (the doughboy flour i got already had it put in)

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
Looking for good Salmon recipes. Salmon will be running soon, and still have Chinook, Sockeye, and Coho in the freezer that I want to use up before restocking with this year fish. Does anyone have a favorite?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My favorite way to make salmon is to season it with salt and pepper or better yet lemon pepper seasoning and then get a cast-iron pan nice and hot and then throw in a shitload of butter. It will smoke a little, don't let that scare you, but if it's smoking you need to get the salmon in there asap. Sear it on high heat on the non-skin side for like a minute, then flip it and let it cook on the skin side just until the flakes start to separate or even a little before. You might turn the heat down a bit if the pan is smoking after the flip. My stove has weak burners so I just power through. Once you have your fillets all cooked, throw some more butter in the pan (1 tbsp per fillet or more) and get it smoking and add some capers (probably 1 tsp per fillet, give or take with a little caper juice to deglaze the pan), let them fry for a few seconds, and then scrape loose any bits that are still stuck to the pan and pour the sauce it over your salmon. Serve immediately.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
few weeks away until my Memorial day brisket extravaganza.

What do you guys have planned to feast on?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
crossposting here from the Weight Loss thread... interested in CHEAP keto recipes

i'm thinking about trying the ketogenic diet when i'm done with chemotherapy in a few months, not for weight loss, but because it's one of the few alternative cancer treatments that seems to actually have some scientific merit to it.

the only issue is i am on a MAJOR budget. and most of the keto guides i've found online seem pretty costly.

any ideas, fellas? i assume this is the best thread to ask in
I'd ask in the cooking thread. Lots of guys on Keto that look there.

As far as initially, eggs. Eggs are cheap as shit and give you lots of fat and protein. They are also really filling. Peanut butter is another good one. It is higher in carbs then most things, but it is really hard to even eat 2 tablespoons of natural, sugar-free peanut butter, let alone more.

i have access to a lot of venison my dad hunted in the fall as a spring board for any ideas.

thanks for the idea to crosspost LiquidDeath LiquidDeath

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Eggs are good. Cheeses. I do a few variations on cauliflower (pureed steamed, roasted, grilled) with oils and butter. Brussel sprouts with bacon, a go-to now. Brussel sprouts are actually kind of expensive here, you can do roasted cabbage and bacon though cheaper and it's the same effect. Just shred the cabbage, dice the bacon, mix it together with some olive oil, salt, and pepper (plus whatever other spices you want) and roast for like 30 minutes at 350. I like making that 90 second bread, even though I haven't in a while, for quick "sandwiches"

There's tons of keto recipe sites and a subreddit for it, I tend to try and keep things more simple though. Skillet chicken thighs with roasted broccoli, kale salad with parmesan and chicken, etc. I think a lot of the additional cost from keto comes from trying to do all that fancy baking shit that people do on those recipe sites. When you're just talking produce, dairy, and meats I think it's a little better. For that reason I'm not a big fan of keto "recipes".

I did have to back off those low carb tortillas and peanut butter, it's just too much carbs. Venison is good but it's super lean. You'll want to find ways to incorporate it into fatty dishes, kind of stumped on that one other thant he standard pan roasted venison with salad/side of roasted veggies.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
crossposting here from the Weight Loss thread... interested in CHEAP keto recipes

i have access to a lot of venison my dad hunted in the fall as a spring board for any ideas.

Oh, something I forgot to add. Best budget meat around here is that you can legitimately eat lots of is pork tenderloin. You need to learn to butcher a whole tenderloin, but once you do you can buy them at most Costco/Sam's type stores for $1.89 or less per pound. You can cut decent sized steaks from them and cover them in butter and seasoning or slice it into fajita meat and cover with cheese.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
those are all great ideas chaos chaos , i definitely want to try to Keep It Simple, Stupid here. easier the better, i won't have much energy after chemo, and don't really have anyone around willing to cook for me.

venison is pretty lean but i already usually add 2-4tbsp of butter to it when i fry it.

i kind of hate peanut butter (weird i know), but i guess i should probably learn to enjoy it.

LiquidDeath

those are all great ideas chaos chaos , i definitely want to try to Keep It Simple, Stupid here. easier the better, i won't have much energy after chemo, and don't really have anyone around willing to cook for me.

venison is pretty lean but i already usually add 2-4tbsp of butter to it when i fry it.

i kind of hate peanut butter (weird i know), but i guess i should probably learn to enjoy it.

Do you like almonds or cashews? You can make both those into butter and it is still filling. Almond butter is fantastic from a carb/fat perspective too. Do you have big box stores near you? If so which ones?

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Do you like almonds or cashews? You can make both those into butter and it is still filling. Almond butter is fantastic from a carb/fat perspective too. Do you have big box stores near you? If so which ones?

was already pondering both cashew and almond butter actually, i enjoy both much more than peanut butter.

the only supermarket in my town is Walmart. sometimes i make the trip to the closest Meijer 50 miles away.

there is a really awesome local produce / meat market that i will be hitting up tho.

LiquidDeath

was already pondering both cashew and almond butter actually, i enjoy both much more than peanut butter.

the only supermarket in my town is Walmart. sometimes i make the trip to the closest Meijer 50 miles away.

there is a really awesome local produce / meat market that i will be hitting up tho.

That's unfortunate. Certain keto staples are cheap as fuck at Sam's and Costco. Giant containers of sugar free almond butter, super cheap butter and eggs, and blocks of cheese delicious enough to eat every day. Might talk with your local store and see if you can get bulk prices on meat to bring the cost down. That only works if you have a large freezer though.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

I'll post some of my keto recipes this evening when I get home. I only had a few that were outstanding, the rest of the time it was trying to find variety and usually why I could only handle that diet for about 6 months at a time before I eventually fall off and start eating regular stuff but maintain small portions.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

Yeah, it';s good because you can easily make it in large batches as well, just reheat in the oven and you're good to go. I'd try finishing the venison with some butter as well, just let it melt on the meat as it rests.

Sausages, that's huge for me, both breakfast and otherwise. Easy to cook and easy to reheat.

I sometimes do baked egg cups, pretty easy. Par-cook some bacon, wrap a muffin tin in bacon, whisk eggs, fill bacon-wrapped cup with egg mix, top with cheese. Easy breakfast on the go type thing.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If you really want cheap, you have to break down the best way to obtain the 3 land proteins.

Chicken/pork/beef

This usually involves breaking down the animal yourself, either sales of grocery stores to "the clubs"

i'll use my own area as an example in ks.

I can get whole chickens that don't look mutated for .95c /lb

i've broken down a roasted chicken before and a 4lb chicken will net you

cataloging that a roasted 4lb chicken will produce
14oz in bones
20oz in white meat
21oz in dark meat

the rest is chicken fat.

You could really stretch that chicken by using that 14oz in bones (my recommendation is to freeze your first carcass and wait until you have 2 birds) and make chicken stock. you don't even have to throw in veggies to make the stock, but celery and carrots are like the cheapest veggies and they add enough flavor.

Once you have this chicken stock made, you can then use that stock to flavor and cook other recipes

It's also actually one of the ways to make keto enjoyable, it's called keto bone broth, usually ppl cook w/ beef bones instead and freeze it, but it's all just stock in the end.

Again once you realize all stock is, is just a way to extract bone marrow into yumminess, you'll keep on doing it., even have an ice tray where you freeze a few cubes to just dump in your food when it's cooking.