<Prior Amod>
pretty blondish here
6104303b1ae0920b75b99a6f55f0dc60.jpg

• 2Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I thought this was decent. The naval warfare wasn't nearly as visceral as the tank stuff from Fury. I also wished they had shown a little more from the sub's and other destroyer's perspectives.

There was an issue I noticed earlier in the movie, when they first start hunting a sub. Hanks wants them to plot an intercept course after just recently telling the crew to increase speed to 36-knots. They plot the course and then shortly after the tells them to slow to 22-knots, without recalculating an intercept point. That part took me completely out of it and I realized at that point I was just watching a mindless "action" flick.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought this was decent. The naval warfare wasn't nearly as visceral as the tank stuff from Fury. I also wished they had shown a little more from the sub's and other destroyer's perspectives.

There was an issue I noticed earlier in the movie, when they first start hunting a sub. Hanks wants them to plot an intercept course after just recently telling the crew to increase speed to 36-knots. They plot the course and then shortly after the tells them to slow to 22-knots, without recalculating an intercept point. That part took me completely out of it and I realized at that point I was just watching a mindless "action" flick.

just be happy they didn't go 50 knots.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
As stupid as this sounds, it annoys me that they try to cast a 64 year old man as a “first command” officer. That shit don’t fly.

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Didn’t really enjoy this at all. Seemed like a bunch of people crammed in to one small soundstage moving 5ft in either direction in between a bunch of Chinese CGI. The laziest performance of Tom’s life. Luckily it was only 1.5hrs.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As stupid as this sounds, it annoys me that they try to cast a 64 year old man as a “first command” officer. That shit don’t fly.

To me the German U-boat captain trolling them on their radio frequency in broken english was enough. I couldn't give a tapdancing fuck who was commanding that boat anymore. They could had Gandhi, Bill Adama or Roosevelt himself in charge of that ship, it wouldn't have mattered.

Imagine being a writer for this shit: "hey guys those German villains aren't villain enough, we should clearly show what assholes they really are!"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
To me the German U-boat captain trolling them on their radio frequency in broken english was enough. I couldn't give a tapdancing fuck who was commanding that boat anymore. They could had Gandhi, Bill Adama or Roosevelt himself in charge of that ship, it wouldn't have mattered.

Imagine being a writer for this shit: "hey guys those German villains aren't villain enough, we should clearly show what assholes they really are!"

They used to do shit like that all the time. We did, too.

• 2Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really liked this for a couple of different reasons...

One of which was the fact it was shorter than the average flick. They didn't pad it with a bunch of bullshit in order to get to the 2 hour mark.

Another factor was that there wasn't anything we didn't need. No subplots (pun not intended). No bullshit romance like Pearl Harbor. We got one flashback which makes our protagonist a human being, and then it's non-stop nothing-else-except-killing-krauts for the rest of the run time.

I really appreciated those two factors. Made the film a difference experience. I think you could make a series of little world war two films along the same lines, focusing on events/people that haven't gotten much attention.

On top of that I thought the soundtrack was incredible.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
I really appreciated those two factors. Made the film a difference experience. I think you could make a series of little world war two films along the same lines, focusing on events/people that haven't gotten much attention.

They could cover this guy Lafayette G. Pool - Wikipedia

was an American tank-crew and tank-platoon commander in World War II and is widely recognized as the US tank ace of aces credited with 12 confirmed tank kills and 258 total armoured vehicle and self-propelled gun kills, over 1,000 German soldiers killed, and 250 more taken as prisoners of war all of which took place in a combat career that covered only 81 days in action from 27 June to 15 September 1944 with three different Shermans.

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
The world needs more WW 2 greatest generation films and stories

• 2Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
3rd best submarine movie behind The Hunt for the Red October and Down Periscope

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
The book it is adapted from was written with a theme of the constant pressure the screens were under to protect the convoys, and I think the movie focused on that element as well. I really liked that it didn't focus on characters, though I would have liked a bit more focus on just how green the captain and much of the crew were.

Alistair MacLean's first book HMS Ulysses is quite similar in many ways too, and still worth a read I think.