Hacksaw Ridge (2016)

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
3.80 star(s) Rating: 3.80/5 5 Votes
Title: Hacksaw Ridge (2016)

Tagline: When the order came to retreat. One man stayed.

Genre: War, Drama, History

Director: Mel Gibson

Cast: Andrew Garfield, Sam Worthington, Vince Vaughn, Luke Bracey, Teresa Palmer, Hugo Weaving, Rachel Griffiths, Ryan Corr, Richard Roxburgh, Luke Pegler, Firass Dirani, Goran D. Kleut, Nathaniel Buzolic, Ori Pfeffer, Matthew Nable, Jacob Warner, Richard Pyros, Ben Mingay, Harry Greenwood, Damien Thomlinson, Robert Morgan, Milo Gibson, John Batziolas, John Cannon, Mikael Koski, Charles Jacobs, Ben O'Toole, James Lugton, Tim McGarry, Tyler Coppin, Dennis Kreusler, Nico Cortez, Helmut Bakaitis, Bill Young, Benedict Hardie, Philip Quast, James Mackay, Sam Parsonson, Sean Lynch, Thomas Unger, Hayden Geens, Tim Potter, Santo Tripodi, Laurence Brewer, Nobuaki Shimamoto, Hiroshi Kasuga, Yuki Nagashima, Taki Abe, Taka Uematsu, Yoji Tatsuta, Milan Pulvermacher

Release: 2016-11-04

Runtime: 131

Plot: WWII American Army Medic Desmond T. Doss, who served during the Battle of Okinawa, refuses to kill people and becomes the first Conscientious Objector in American history to win the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bullock

Molten Core Raider
Been hearing good things about this (and Mel Gibsons acting move Blood Father too).

Out at the start of Nov for the states, but not until 2017 for us brits.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I'm kind of surprised Mel Gibson got work.

Note that the trailer is too: it just mentions "The Director of Braveheart", and his name is nowhere. Frankly, I haven't heard of most of those production companies either.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
He's got two comic books
SDA_comics_collage.jpg

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Saw this tonight, very very violent but it was excellent. Some serious feels at the end when they showed some of the interviews with the guy and his company.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I will be very impressed if that movie is worse than his other war movie.

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
This is a great movie. Andrew Garfield did well, don't judge him solely on Amazing Spider-man.

Vince Vaughn was money and a scene stealer, good to see him slay a role after the Season 2 True Detective misfire.

This movie does everything well; good pacing, good acting, good at making you give a shit.

Some will say too gory but I would say it's war uncensored. They don't revel in the gore like a "Saw" movie, it shows what it needs to show without pulling any punches.

If it's a choice between seeing Arrival or Hacksaw, choose this. Arrival is good, but didn't affect me like this. Gladly hold it up with the likes of Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down etc.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Damn. You guys said gory, but jesus christ.

As with band of brothers, pacific, SPR - this movie is a required watch for every red blooded adult American (especially the millennial types). People, kids, actually did and lived this stuff. Amazing and awe inspiring. Not ashamed to say I had some tears welling up a couple different times with this.

a+ for the feels and reminders

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I saw this last night, and it was very good. Way to go, Mel Gibson! Anyway, it was gory, but not too bad. It was very reminiscent of the starting scene of Saving Private Ryan in its gore.

I enjoyed telling my wife about how it was after I got home. She's Japanese, so I got to say her people were very savage in this movie.

Wrathin3L

Peasant
Good movie, but a lot of the basic? scenes seem ham-fisted after the initial VV scene in the barracks. I understand they had to tread lightly not to mimick some of FMJ's scenes, but I thought the bulk of "burdens of convictions" arch was poorly done and they did a hack job of setting the scene (culturally and era-wise - especially in comparison to BoB's religious jabs) for why it was so outlandish for a CO to be there when in actuality there were a lot of CO's working for the War Department in a variety of roles (including military service). To me it came off as Hollywood trying to perform a Benediction instead of simply letting history and his actions speak for themselves.

Also don't see the gore comments - I thought SPR and BoB had infinitely higher levels of gore simply from the depth of detail they took with each wound. Or did you mean the amount of shots involving someone getting shot before cutting away to see another? Besides a few legs coming off, the majority of the wounded you couldn't even tell they were injured aside from some blood, bloody clothes /faces - how is that a gory movie? Are you forgetting the entrails, exploding bodies, blood spray, and general chaos of SPR Normandy, Kiroy?

I would definitely recommend the movie for at leaste a single watch, especially if you don't know anything about the story. I wouldn't put it up there with SPR, BHD, or BoB though.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Loved this and agree with those saying its better than Arrival. Probably my favorite of the Oscar screeners that have came out

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Watched this over the weekend, loved it. I hated Garfield as Spider-Man, but he was like a completely different person in this, and was fantastic. Really, really enjoyed this movie.

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database