Handheld Molecular Scanner

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm not sure why I would want one of those, but it's very cool.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I'm not sure why I would want one of those, but it's very cool.
Yeah, they'll need to kickstart some practical usage scenarios besides using it as a calorimeter. The video below shows it being used to identify drugs, which is pretty damn amazing but of limited consumer use. I wonder how they've programmed it to handle illegal drugs..

Considering back in college a mass spec was about five feet long and cost tens of thousands, I'm pretty darn impressed.

SCiO - Prototype Demo - YouTube

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Not that this particular one might not be bullshit...but...this technology has existed for like 50 years(and knowledge of how it works roughly 200~), and I've been using it daily. So there's nothing bullshit about spectrometry.

The only thing even questionable about this is the cost, since a handheld spectrometer that I used at work typically ran 30-40k for the lowest end units.
Pretty much this. It seems like a cheap device that might work in theory but the accuracy of its readings would be shit and only work on very specific things that emitted light in conclusive ways. That being said I've done little besides look at their kickstarter and know very little about spectometry. It's just such a well-established field that someone walking along and providing a low cost solution seems unlikely.

A key factor in object identification is the number of possible objects. These demos work well but the database they are based in for all the closed demos I saw was probably very small. Perhaps almost entirely limited to what they had available.

There's also numerous problems with trying to use spectroscopy to identify objects that are not composed of continuous material. If you have some acetaminophen it probably has a very consistent energy emission throughout. But if you have a steak, pasta or even just an orange there are variety of ways it can reflect energy that would the possible spectrographic signatures to intersect with other very different objects.

In short, I'll believe it when real people get their hands on it and start walking around their house using it to identify shit.

Here's their last campaign:TellSpec: Whats in your food? | Indiegogo

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
We have one of these at work. It only works on metal and gives you the alloy and the major elements in it. It was $40k to get a demo.

X-MET7000-eXpress-hand-lowres1.jpeg

Sort and Quantify.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm assuming he meant a demo unit, as in, a unit to use/test/keep. I can only assume they would come out to any reputable lab and give a demonstration for free...

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm assuming he meant a demo unit, as in, a unit to use/test/keep. I can only assume they would come out to any reputable lab and give a demonstration for free...
I didn't have anything to do with it. I'm not even sure of the brand we have since I never use it. Just pulled up a pic of something similar. I know they bought one from the rep that he had used a demo model for a while. This was several years ago when it wasn't all that common. We're not a lab, we're a structural steel fabrication and pipe shop but most of our clients now require the little reports it spits out for the pipe and the flanges we weld on.

Yeah I'm sure he came out and gave us a demo and he just gave them a discount on buying a demo/used unit.