Health Problems

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
In the last 5-7 years, my shins and calves have gone completely and noticeably bald. No baldness anywhere else. When I asked my doctor about this, she had no idea what it could be.

Beyond this, I have a clean bill of health other than a slight lack of vitamin D (Welsh-Scottish).

Anyone have any insight?

Woefully Inept

Karazhan Raider
Same thing happening here Sebudai. I just assumed it was from all the chemo and shit I've been on. It barely even makes the priority list so I haven't even worried about it. They just match my head now! :p

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I always thought (at least I think I heard when I was younger) that if you wore shorts a lot, you would rub the hair off your calves from when you sat down. Lol. Who knows, though. ;o

edit: I meant calves not shins rofl

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I always thought (at least I think I heard when I was younger) that if you wore shorts a lot, you would rub the hair off your shins from when you sat down. Lol. Who knows, though. ;o
actually funny enough that is the case. I was obsessed with why and got all sorts of tests for testosterone levels and shit. turns out the wear pattern is how i normally sit with pants on :p

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Nope, but I wish I had that problem..
would save me waxing or shaving.
smile.png

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm off neurontin now after a taper down for almost a month. Internist sent me a copy of a study of people who took it for epilepsy and had abdominal pain and constipation (common side effect) and stopped it. Took an average of 7 months after stopping to see the full end of abdominal pain and constipation. I really wouldn't think it would have been that long. Wow.

Still think a good portion of my issues somehow are/were triggered by my mass corticosteroids. One internist said you didn't take mass steroids. When I told him 1,000 mg a day he said "There's no way they gave you that much". I left.

Until just recently I walked around all the time very tense. By that I don't mean mentally either. I literally walked around with my shoulders drawn up all the time an never really could relax. That has really subsided tho.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Dude, you'd be surprised. My friend was prescribed 70 2mg dilaudid, 50 20mg oxycontin MS, and a shit ton of prescription strength Aspirin. When I told him that no doctor in their right mind would ever prescribe that much, he showed me the bottles. Some doctors just prescribe way too much shit, lol.

I'd still be interested in seeing your EKG even if it was normal. You should ask your HCP to get a copy of it.
biggrin.png

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Well this was a 1000mg a day infusion, in two separate spurts. He was thinking in pills I guess. I had a dentist for a while that every time you had the least little thing done he would prescripe hydrocodone in large quantities with refills. I always filled them and kept them on hand in case something happened, not dental related.

I'll get it sometime, they put your medical records online for you to view the results such as blood work, cardiologist report, radiologist report but you can't see the actual test unless you go pick it up and it's not exactly close by.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
In the last 5-7 years, my shins and calves have gone completely and noticeably bald. No baldness anywhere else. When I asked my doctor about this, she had no idea what it could be.

Beyond this, I have a clean bill of health other than a slight lack of vitamin D (Welsh-Scottish).

Anyone have any insight?
Calves go bald from years of wearing socks, and shins from the pressure of your jeans/pants against your knees. I heard Mormon underwear protects against this effect, so you shouldn't have lost your way young apostle.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Calves go bald from years of wearing socks, and shins from the pressure of your jeans/pants against your knees. I heard Mormon underwear protects against this effect, so you shouldn't have lost your way young apostle.
I haven't noticed this occurring with other guys.

And now I'm gay for admitting I've looked at the shins and calves of other men. Welp.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So an update on my aunt with Typhoid.

She's getting worse and worse. She still has to wear a mask (???) when in public, she isn't allowed to drive or work (nurse). She just got admitted to the hospital for double lung collapses due to the Typhoid (also type 1 diabetic). They're putting in stents now, but if they don't work they're looking at permanently putting her on a machine. Also there's some lingering neuro issues that I don't know everything about.

Typhoid, not even once. This shit is crazy!

She's obviously pretty depressed.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It does suck but it's kind of idiotic to go on a christian mission to India (in the worst, bathing in human feces areas) when you're type 1 diabetic. We aren't even sure she was vaccinated.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
So, update on the shoulder issue. Went to doctor office today and they gave me the once over and took an x-ray. Looks like its just a case of Tendonitis in the shoulder. Basically just strained the shoulder from working too hard without warming up first. Doc had me go through a range of motions with the arm, pushing and pulling against him resisting in various ways, plus checked neck and upper back. Only time the symptoms showed is when I had my arm resting on my side and he pushed a specific spot on the front of the shoulder. Pretty sure I've got it in both shoulders, but the left is worse than the right and that's the one I reported to Workmans' Comp so that's the one they are gonna focus on.

X-ray didn't show anything major like a torn rotator cup or things like that, so they prescribed me a NSAID to take twice daily and a muscle relaxer to take at night before bed, if I need it. Gonna have me do 6 sessions of Physical Therapy. Hopefully between the medicine, PT and exercising as they direct me to, the symptoms will go away. If not, they will go from there. Still able to work as normal, but I'm going to take it easy when I can.

Since it doesn't seem to be a back issue, gonna get back in the gym starting next week and get back to doing some cardio, to at least get myself back on track to losing more weight.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
You mean they did a CT scan, not an X Ray, right? We're talking about for your tissue, not bones. And if I am correct in your wording, that area is pretty much always tender unless you specifically stretch it. When I do massage, I always dig deep in that area because I'm all sadistic and shit. But yeah be careful about it man.
frown.png

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
You mean they did a CT scan, not an X Ray, right? We're talking about for your tissue, not bones. And if I am correct in your wording, that area is pretty much always tender unless you specifically stretch it. When I do massage, I always dig deep in that area because I'm all sadistic and shit. But yeah be careful about it man.
frown.png
No, was an X-ray. I think it was to check the bones to ensure there was no fractures or underlying issues they couldn't detect from the physical exam.

Granted, this is the Workmans' Comp doctor so I take things with a grain of salt, but it seems sound for now. Basically, he said since I strained the shoulder, when the arm hangs down the muscles are compressing on the nerve causing the pins/needles. Doesn't help I've been working the past 11 days straight (Since I had to cover for the other emalmer who had to take a couple days off to recover from some minor surgery on his nose)

I am definitely going to take it easy and get as much rest as I can. Gotta follow what the doctor says, at least for now. I did press him a bit and if the Pt doesn't work, we'll go from there. So not gonna just let it go if I'm not healthy by the time its all said and done.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I don't have the EKG. I've had two in the last years and the cardiologist said there was nothing out of the ordinary. Most times it happens at rest, or even sleeping. I had an episode early this morning which is why I got up. After lunch I went out and picked up pine cones and mowed the yard for 2 hours without an issue. When I'm not having an episode everything is pretty normal. Can excercise and do whatever, worked up a pretty good sweat today. I do have chest pain but I don't know how to describe it.
Doesn't sound like normal angina, unless you have Prinzmetal's? Even then it sounds a lot more like Supraventricular Tachycardia or anxiety. With SVT, odds are they won't find anything unless they have you hooked up during an actual episode, but if you have the presence of mind to check your heart rate during one of the episodes that would be a good way to rule that out.

As far as anxiety, it's actually somewhat common to have episodes that wake you from sleep where you feel like you can't breathe. Do you notice numbness/tingling in your hands/feet or lips?