Health Problems

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Freaking out over every lithe thing is exhausting. You'll stop.
I wish I had some lithe thing to get freaky with right about now.

But the on-call ID fellow I just spoke to said my picc sounds infected and needs to be removed. Thankfully it doesn't require a trip to the ER and most likely doesn't require another drive down to St Louis, but it probably means another day spent in a hospital bed.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

But the on-call ID fellow I just spoke to said my picc sounds infected and needs to be removed. Thankfully it doesn't require a trip to the ER and most likely doesn't require another drive down to St Louis, but it probably means another day spent in a hospital bed.

On calls are almost always going to err on the side of caution since all they have to go on is what you tell them. It could turn out that once its looked at by a physician, they'll determine that it's fine.

PICC lines are pretty easy to remove and they can usually send you on your way afterwards. My dad had one for 6 weeks last year and they pulled it out during one of his regular follow ups when it was deemed no longer necessary. Hopefully they won't have to admit you again, but that would likely depend on the infection and what alternatives they have for antibiotics. Having to do regular IV antibiotics for any length of time as an outpatient without a PICC line would suck ass.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

How's your energy? And how's your pain level? You doing okay? Do you have people checking in on you?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
How's your energy? And how's your pain level? You doing okay? Do you have people checking in on you?
I'm bizarrely pain free considering part of my right pectoral was excised damn near to the sternum. Also the ER doc today said it's just serous discharge, not purulent (pus), same thing my chest wound started doing. I think the on-call ID doc and I had multiple miscommunications on account of the late hour and being on the phone or something. Meanwhile my primary seems to be developing this pet theory that I don't show infection symptoms or they have a significantly delay in showing up similar to the immunocompromised except for the opposite reason: my body and/or immune system are just that resilient/stubborn. I'm not gonna pretend it's a superpower but the idea does sorta fit with my illness history when I was younger. There should have been symptoms from my lung abscess long before the second abscess formed and if I were immunocompromised with an untreated lung abscess that long I'd probably be dead or gravely ill.

Of course the good news about the picc line had to be accompanied with some manner of bad news or else it wouldn't be my life. The right shoulder pain suddenly got substantially worse after a blood pressure test during ER admittance but we're stuck playing it by ear because the earliest I can get an MRI at my local hospital is in just over 2 weeks. The MRI truck shows up one day a week and unfortunately that day is Thursday meaning there was no chance of an appt tomorrow and Thursday next week I'll out of town for my follow-ups with surgery and ID. So my primary said if I have any more issues with the shoulder to just go to the ER at the much bigger hospital that she sent me back when she first found the lung abscess.

I think Guurn Guurn was at least partially right though, I think I worked most of the freaking out of my system and my brain just has no more hyper-vigilance left.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm bizarrely pain free considering part of my right pectoral was excised damn near to the sternum. Also the ER doc today said it's just serous discharge, not purulent (pus), same thing my chest wound started doing. I think the on-call ID doc and I had multiple miscommunications on account of the late hour and being on the phone or something. Meanwhile my primary seems to be developing this pet theory that I don't show infection symptoms or they have a significantly delay in showing up similar to the immunocompromised except for the opposite reason: my body and/or immune system are just that resilient/stubborn. I'm not gonna pretend it's a superpower but the idea does sorta fit with my illness history when I was younger. There should have been symptoms from my lung abscess long before the second abscess formed and if I were immunocompromised with an untreated lung abscess that long I'd probably be dead or gravely ill.

Of course the good news about the picc line had to be accompanied with some manner of bad news or else it wouldn't be my life. The right shoulder pain suddenly got substantially worse after a blood pressure test during ER admittance but we're stuck playing it by ear because the earliest I can get an MRI at my local hospital is in just over 2 weeks. The MRI truck shows up one day a week and unfortunately that day is Thursday meaning there was no chance of an appt tomorrow and Thursday next week I'll out of town for my follow-ups with surgery and ID. So my primary said if I have any more issues with the shoulder to just go to the ER at the much bigger hospital that she sent me back when she first found the lung abscess.

I think Guurn Guurn was at least partially right though, I think I worked most of the freaking out of my system and my brain just has no more hyper-vigilance left.

Holy shit dude, keep hanging in there. I can't believe the long wait for your MRI. That's criminal. I'm going to go ahead and assume the MRI will come back clean and lovely. I invite you to think the same thing.

edit: I'm really glad you're pain free.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Holy shit dude, keep hanging in there. I can't believe the long wait for your MRI. That's criminal. I'm going to go ahead and assume the MRI will come back clean and lovely. I invite you to think the same thing.
That's just small town life, its a smallish hospital with somewhat limited services that caters to a bunch of small towns in the area. Anything serious has to be sent to a bigger hospital like they did with my lung abscess. And I'd have no trouble getting in next week if it didn't just so happen that their one day of availability was the same day that I'd be 3 hours away at my follow-up appointments. Hell if my appointments in STL were timed just a little different they would have been able to sneak me in next week anyway.

Also if she had evidence pointing towards osteomyelitis she'd probably send me straight to the bigger hospital for an immediate MRI but atm it's just a dangerous suspicion that she wants to rule out, so we're going with the 'if things with the shoulder get worse just go straight to their ER' strat. If things don't get worse between now and my appt on the 22nd, that would probably be a strong contraindication itself.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
That's just small town life, its a smallish hospital with somewhat limited services that caters to a bunch of small towns in the area. Anything serious has to be sent to a bigger hospital like they did with my lung abscess. And I'd have no trouble getting in next week if it didn't just so happen that their one day of availability was the same day that I'd be 3 hours away at my follow-up appointments. Hell if my appointments in STL were timed just a little different they would have been able to sneak me in next week anyway.

Also if she had evidence pointing towards osteomyelitis she'd probably send me straight to the bigger hospital for an immediate MRI but atm it's just a dangerous suspicion that she wants to rule out, so we're going with the 'if things with the shoulder get worse just go straight to their ER' strat. If things don't get worse between now and my appt on the 22nd, that would probably be a strong contraindication itself.

just a dangerous suspicion.

That sucks balls. I don't know if you're a religious man, but I'm praying for you.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
just a dangerous suspicion.

That sucks balls. I don't know if you're a religious man, but I'm praying for you.
lol after analyzing the timetable and verifying exactly when the first appt actually wants me there (appt was for 1130 but they actually want me at 11 for chest CT) I committed to the open 7 am slot for an MRI on the same day because my doctor really didnt want me waiting until the 22nd and apparently talked to (maybe even pestered) the imaging scheduler to try and get me in sooner. So the instant I get out of the MRI coffin I'll be hopping on the road to STL to get there in time for my first followup, then we have to kill time until my second which I thankfully was able to reschedule to the same day before heading home.

blaaaargh but whatever, at least my local hospital is right by the interstate we need to take.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
lol after analyzing the timetable and verifying exactly when the first appt actually wants me there (appt was for 1130 but they actually want me at 11 for chest CT) I committed to the open 7 am slot for an MRI on the same day because my doctor really didnt want me waiting until the 22nd and apparently talked to (maybe even pestered) the imaging scheduler to try and get me in sooner. So the instant I get out of the MRI coffin I'll be hopping on the road to STL to get there in time for my first followup, then we have to kill time until my second which I thankfully was able to reschedule to the same day before heading home.

blaaaargh but whatever, at least my local hospital is right by the interstate we need to take.

Well, at least you seem to be getting prompt care. That was one thing that I am so grateful for when both I and my wife are dealing with cancer. Fast is good in these scenarios, because your mind will make you anxious and crazy if you have to wait.

Good luck with your appointments.

• 1Like

Goatface

another trip to er, one of the stones in the left kidney is on the move. it is 5.5mm. the er doc was saying 5mm is still ok to pass normally. i was told above 3mm was bad. the other stone is 7mm
don't know if law, but only got 12 pain pills.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
another trip to er, one of the stones in the left kidney is on the move. it is 5.5mm. the er doc was saying 5mm is still ok to pass normally. i was told above 3mm was bad. the other stone is 7mm
don't know if law, but only got 12 pain pills.

shit dude, take care of yourself and do what your doctors tell you to. Be well.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well, at least you seem to be getting prompt care. That was one thing that I am so grateful for when both I and my wife are dealing with cancer. Fast is good in these scenarios, because your mind will make you anxious and crazy if you have to wait.

Good luck with your appointments.
Well whatever is wrong with my shoulder, it isn't a bone infection. Had a CT done at the bigger hospital's ER today because even though it doesn't hurt all that much, it's definitely been slowly getting worse and my primary's instructions were pretty clear re: the shoulder getting worse. So I probably still need to get the MRI done on Thursday because it will provide new diagnostic information.

Today's stay wasn't too bad aside from the near death experience but that's a different story entirely.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Really hit a wall today. Always the same. Starts off slow with some really bad itching that numerous itch creams and cortizone cream can't touch. Then the pain which can be best described as bone pain for lack of a better term.

I've stocked away a significant amount of pain pills over time and this afternoon I really loaded up on them.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>

I don't know how much time you will have in between (if your appt. is at the CAM), or if you will want to mess with leaving your parking spot...but the Science Center is about a mile away, the Art Museum, about three, and there are many good restaurants in the area.
I am saddened to read of your health struggles, but am glad you are getting treatment at Barnes. Top notch.
Best of luck, and I will join the Lurkingdirks in prayers for you.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't know how much time you will have in between (if your appt. is at the CAM), or if you will want to mess with leaving your parking spot...but the Science Center is about a mile away, the Art Museum, about three, and there are many good restaurants in the area.
I am saddened to read of your health struggles, but am glad you are getting treatment at Barnes. Top notch.
Best of luck, and I will join the Lurkingdirks in prayers for you.
First appt is over in Shiloh, second one is in some smaller building on the main Barnes campus. I'd love to at least try out one of those restaurants but three trips to STL in a fairly short period is a lot of extra money spent on gas so I'll probably pack lunch in a cooler. I'm also gonna have a bag packed for the nightmare scenario of them finding something that makes them want to readmit me but yesterdays clean CT made that even more unlikely. Still gonna pack though due to the distance and greater than 0% chance of it happening.

Assuming I haven't died of embarrassment by then. Yesterday's "near death experience" was me barely stopping myself from using a pickup line on my nursing tech, which was not only mortifying but also confusing as fuck because I've never been a pickup line guy ever in my life so I have no idea why I suddenly started to blurt that shit out. Thankfully the spot I stopped myself was still easy to pass off as nothing but god damn, I probably would have ended up AMAing if I'd actually said it.

So cringe-inducing, but still at least slightly funny even if it's at my expense.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
First appt is over in Shiloh, second one is in some smaller building on the main Barnes campus. I'd love to at least try out one of those restaurants but three trips to STL in a fairly short period is a lot of extra money spent on gas so I'll probably pack lunch in a cooler. I'm also gonna have a bag packed for the nightmare scenario of them finding something that makes them want to readmit me but yesterdays clean CT made that even more unlikely. Still gonna pack though due to the distance and greater than 0% chance of it happening.

Assuming I haven't died of embarrassment by then. Yesterday's "near death experience" was me barely stopping myself from using a pickup line on my nursing tech, which was not only mortifying but also confusing as fuck because I've never been a pickup line guy ever in my life so I have no idea why I suddenly started to blurt that shit out. Thankfully the spot I stopped myself was still easy to pass off as nothing but god damn, I probably would have ended up AMAing if I'd actually said it.

So cringe-inducing, but still at least slightly funny even if it's at my expense.
Ohmygeebus, glad you made it through that. (I can't stop laughing, though.)
There are some nice parks in the Shiloh area for a picnic lunch, if the weather is decent.
(Steady lived in St. Clair, Co. for many years before moving back to this [West] side of the river. )
Again, best of outcomes to you.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider

Well... what was the line dammit?

• 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well... what was the line dammit?
I suppose the joke isn't finished without it. Ugh.

Ok so her name was July, and yes not Julie, July, she confirmed I heard her right when I went all squinty-eyed at her name tag. I had just been wheeled back from the ER CT so I still didn't have any answers yet and I was just lying there not-quite-dozing as people familiar with ER visits/hospital stays are probably familiar with doing. She came in to check my blood pressure and after she was done she asked if I needed anything else and I said "Yeah if you wanna close...uh no im fine" before I cut myself off realizing what I had been about to say.

"Yeah if you wanna close that curtain and make some fireworks" being what I kept myself from saying.

Terrible.

• 2Double Worf
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Rimshot
Reactions: 4 users

Goatface

today was supposed to have a ct scan of my head at 9am for random stinging pain on my scalp. the hospital called said having issues with insurance and postponed it to friday.
the er didn't tell me they contacted urology, got appointment with them at 11, so at least this morning isn't a total miss.

tomorrow, have appointment with general surgery at local hospital. had to call them to ask what it was for, turns out they setup colonoscopies.