Hearthstone

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
12182.png
Big misconception is that he doesn't affect board.
Also 7 mana.
Better stats than an 8/8. Immediate board presence.
When I play my Lightlord I can't expect an Azure drake to take 4 random damage for free, can I?

Neph_sl

shitlord
You know, just noticing the wording on that card... if Boom Bots 'may' explode and had a 50/50 chance of doing 1-4 damage, I would be more okay with Dr. Boom.

Also, wondering if Dragon Paladin will be more viable with Lightlord. I mean, without Mini Bot and Muster and without seeing any early-game replacements from Whispers yet, Paladin is still missing the tools to make it to the late game where you're dropping dragons. But having Lightlord around to heal up damaged dragons sounds pretty good.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you're playing a control deck you likely won't have any damaged minions on board so 8/8 + heals for 8 @ 8 mana, I think it'll be used in control pally(and depending on what they do with bgh, certainly will).

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The lack of targeted removal will continue to be what keeps late game pally a shit tier deck. Your only way to really deal with big creatures is an equality combo. Aldor is good but leaves the creature on the board for the effect to be silenced off or be buffed in some other way.

*edit*

As bad a card as twisting nether is, I'd argue it's still generally better than an equality combo because it's only 1 card. Maybe I'll experiment with enter the coliseum. Or finally craft Deathwing.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
He affects the board because he's basically an 8/8 with taunt.
Yea I agree the Lightlord has Taunt and I agree he'll be decent enough to see some play. I'm still trying to decide if I'd run Lay on Hands at all with this guy in the deck though. LoH is normally that clutch 3 card draw late game that helps you get board back next turn. This guy heals you once, soaks up 8 damage or a spell, then you hope to top deck.

I think I'd prefer the Firelord over the Lightlord in most cases. Questions becomes how many 8 drops can you feasibly maintain. I just feel like I want Firelord+LoH as my 8 drops still. Edit: Also Tirion.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm also thinking I might experiment with Mysterious Challenger in the way that people were initially trying him before full blown secret paladin caught on. Run 3 secrets and hope you draw MC before you draw more than 1 of him, so he's a 6/6 that thins your deck out and creates a tempo swing on the board.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm also thinking I might experiment with Mysterious Challenger in the way that people were initially trying him before full blown secret paladin caught on. Run 3 secrets and hope you draw MC before you draw more than 1 of him, so he's a 6/6 that thins your deck out and creates a tempo swing on the board.
Someone was doing that in winter finals last weekend, or the weekend before? I'm just playing whatever after hitting 5, so I made a reno pally list and I'm using it that way and it works well in it.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Big misconception is that he doesn't affect board.
Also 7 mana.
Better stats than an 8/8. Immediate board presence.
When I play my Lightlord I can't expect an Azure drake to take 4 random damage for free, can I?
Whatever loose definition of "affect the board" you want to use. If Dr. Boom affects it so does Lightlord.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Big Minions don't, necessarily, need to affect the board. As a general rule they just need an immediate impact and Ragnaros does that with the big random heal. If played on an empty board than it's a guaranteed 8 point heal with a huge body that has to be removed.

I think it's a solid card. Probably one of the best we've seen so far out of Whispers. The question is will Paladin be viable in Standard after the gutting they're taking? As others have said a Control or Healadin approach might work out and in both of those cases Ragnaros fits in nicely. Especially if BGH gets nerfed as we all expect. Paladins late game has always been extremely good and it's going to continue to be really good. It's just getting to the late game that they need help with and that's where they're taking it on the chin with Standard.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Whatever loose definition of "affect the board" you want to use. If Dr. Boom affects it so does Lightlord.
Boom is just broken tbh, shouldn't even be used as a comparison. 7 mana for 9/9 that can split 3 ways and 2-8 random damage... yup, lets compare it to a vanilla 8/8 giant that can heal you... in a game where your life total is usually not as critical as board control and card advantage.

The only deck that will use Lightlord will be Healadin simply because it makes no sense anywhere else. Murloc (if it still exists) will want the card draw from LoH and control decks will prefer Firelord and Tirion and maybe an LoH since paladins have shit card draw mechanics. So if you want 4+ 8-drops in your deck then I guess Lightlord will see play.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
The lack of targeted removal will continue to be what keeps late game pally a shit tier deck. Your only way to really deal with big creatures is an equality combo. Aldor is good but leaves the creature on the board for the effect to be silenced off or be buffed in some other way.

*edit*

As bad a card as twisting nether is, I'd argue it's still generally better than an equality combo because it's only 1 card. Maybe I'll experiment with enter the coliseum. Or finally craft Deathwing.
Enter the Coliseum is highly underrated imo. Of course I've only ever really used it in arena, but every time I've had it it has won me some amazing games. It's also swung a ton of Brawls for me as well. It is worthy of testing for sure.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
635947637412776507.png

Basically anti zoo/smorc, but maybe still a tech choice because it's a horrible body for 5 mana. How much healing would one need to get to make it worthwhile? 2-3 minions worth?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
healbot is 3/3 to heal 8. This is 4/4 to heal 4+. I think it's pretty decent since a full zoo board is 14 healing. Only issue is can't heal if enemy has no minions, so pretty terrible against control decks or Hunter.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
healbot is 3/3 to heal 8. This is 4/4 to heal 4+. I think it's pretty decent since a full zoo board is 14 healing. Only issue is can't heal if enemy has no minions, so pretty terrible against control decks or Hunter.
I agree. At the same time, healbot is also horrible in control matchups. This is at least better stats and harder on priests. I'd like to know if you heal for 2 at a time? That could be broken as fuck with Holy Champion.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
On one hand I like it a lot. It looks like Blizzard is getting serious about giving us viable anti-aggro choices.

On the other hand I thought Antique Healbot was a mistake and this shares the same core problem. It gives great healing to classes that weren't designed with healing in mind. But with this card replacing Healbot I guess that I need to let go of that opinion because Blizzard, obviously, doesn't feel the same way.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Healbot is a broken card tbh. It made Handlock way too good and some other decks as well.

A conditional heal like this is much more preferred as it'll help a lot against the flood/aggro decks as is required, but in Control matchups, especially vs Handlock, a Control deck can now compete with them since they can't get 16 healing out guaranteed. Now the Handlock might heal 4-6 max if you play it smart on your side.

It's a card that should see play in Handlock for sure.