Hearthstone

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lich King is REALLY tough to gauge... 2 of the spells I don't want in my hand, the others are OP as hell. It's an RNG clown fiesta. Death Grip literally STEALS a card from your opponent's deck. Frostmourne is OP, but at 1/8 chance, how seriously do you save weapon removal for it? Anti-Magic Shell is crazy OP. I don't really ever want to play Army of the Dead or Doom Pact as a control player, but mid-range decks will, but will mid range decks play Lich King?
I think you'll see him in a lot of control decks, 8/8 taunt draw a card is pretty good. I think the cards are way better than what ysera can give minus, of course, ysera awakens. In terms of cost, 8 mana is so infinitely better than 9 mana. I agree army of the dead is the weakest card and would be scary to play as a control player, but could still pull out some miracles. Doom pact is pretty good, not sure why you wouldn't want it. You either clear your opponents board vs aggro staying alive, in which case staying alive > losing some cards you'd never get the chance to play; or you remove one big threat against control and discard 1-few cards. Also, turn 10 it still leaves you with 5 mana to develop the board after. Not too many true board clears out there that you can also develop same turn.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The problem with Doom Pact to me though, is you'd not want to play it until the Lich King is dead. He's so much more valuable on the field getting another card each turn most with high value vs nuking him + board and milling yourself.

And on him, he's an Ironroot Protector or whatever + extras - 8/8 taunt for 8 was already decent. Adding extra bells and whistles is golden.

• 1Like

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
The problem with Doom Pact to me though, is you'd not want to play it until the Lich King is dead. He's so much more valuable on the field getting another card each turn most with high value vs nuking him + board and milling yourself.

Well yeah, but if you're ever in the position of having a threat like The Lich King alive for more than one turn you're probably in pretty good shape.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
You basically play him for one extra resource, if he sticks more than 1 turn you probably already won, so you're playing him for 1 card and many of the cards are certainly very powerful, but the board clear spell is only 3 damage, the other one can mill you, no way are you going to wipe a full board (which is what is most threatening to a control player). 1 minion is fine, 2 even, but control decks usually already have answers.

He may be great, idk, the RNG is just so damn high with him. You have a 12.5% chance to get the card you really want. He's an 8 mana card that will still take a slot from something else that can be much more consistent. I basically lump 8+ mana cards together, 8, 9, 10 mana... all are late game and you can't have many of them.

I think a deck needs to be built around him slightly, he's not going to fit into a Paladin deck for example. Paladin have too much late game already: Tirion, Primordials, Ragnaros, Spikeridges, DK, Curator, Lay on Hands, N'Zoth... Can't have everything even in that list.

I can see Lich King in Druid for sure, the removal cards can help druid a lot, and they are getting an N'Zoth for taunts, and some taunt synergy cards, so certainly is something to consider. Plus you can ramp to him.

Priest might also slot him because they typically have much less expensive late game (since they use their opponent's late game). And they can summon him out early with that 6 mana card or Barnes, and they can resummon with Servitude, and they are also getting that insane 9 mana taunt. Stonehills in Priest might make sense now.

So yea, he may slot into a couple classes, but it's not an auto-include by any means imo.

• 1Like

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
The dream of anti-magic shell with paladin though.

Maybe not auto-include, but I see him as stronger than medivh and medivh sees play.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The dream of anti-magic shell with paladin though.

Maybe not auto-include, but I see him as stronger than medivh and medivh sees play.

The effect is definitely weaker than Medivh's, but his ability is automatic and Ati'esh is not. Hard to directly compare them.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
his ability is instant but you still need to invest mana into affecting board, so kinda the same, except Medivh can get you 3 things more consistently, which is why I also think Medivh is stronger .

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
his ability is instant but you still need to invest mana into affecting board, so kinda the same, except Medivh can get you 3 things more consistently, which is why I also think Medivh is stronger .

Yeah but Medivh doesn't have taunt, and you can potentially get the weapon destroyed before you get any benefit from it.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Should we be expecting downtime Thursday I guess?

Any downtime will probably be Tuesday. Usually they just flip a switch to enable expansion. Happens normally around Noon or 1PM EST afaik.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Been cleaning out my custom decks on Hearthpwn and revised 10 lists to try:

Ravishing's Profile - Member List - HearthPwn

KFT Handbuff Uther : (Paladin) Aggressive/Mid-Range. A handbuff variant that tops out with Tirion & Uther. Should play similarly to mid-range Murloc deck except this has a Divine Shield/Taunt/Lifesteal flavor instead of the murloc synergy. Hand & deck buff make everything much more durable. Much more draw power here compared to mid-range murlocs.
  • 21 cards 1-3 mana.
  • Tirion + Uther Late game
  • Spikeridge & Tarim for increased board presence
  • Keleseth to buff every minion in hand & deck
  • Stonehill for Power Discovers
  • Saronite Chain Gang for big taunts
  • Howling Commander, Meanstreet Marshall, Divine Favor, Small Time Recruits for crazy card draw
  • 1/3rd the deck is taunts
KFT Control Uther : (Paladin) Greedy Control. Posted above, no changes since yesterday.

KFT Treacherous Millock : (Warlock) Meme deck, destroy opponent's will to live. At best, a 1 in 10 chance to win a game.
  • Howlfiend + Treachery + Spreading Madness : 9 mana combo, discard opponent hand.
  • Unlicensed Apothecary + Trachery + Dirty Rat + (Dirty Rat) : 8-10 mana combo, deal 5-10 damage to opponent
    • Next Turn play Leeroy Jenkins to deal 16 more damage
  • Unlicensed Apothecary + Bloodbloom + Treachery + Leeroy Jenkins : 10 mana, deal 16 damage to opponent
  • Keening Banshee + Coin + Bloodbloom + Corpse Raiser + Treachery : 11 mana & burn 12 cards, Keening Banshee burns opponent's deck.
  • Bittertide Hydra + Bloodbloom + Treachery + Spreading Madness : 10 mana, deal between 0 and 27 damage to opponent
  • Spellbreaker to be able to play minions on your side without dying
  • Hopefully enough removal & healing to pull off a combo before you die
KFT Eternal Servitude : (Priest) High-roll priest / Miracle / Control. Cheat in high value cards, bring them back to life to serve again.
  • 11 Minions, most very valueable.
  • Barnes : Excellent result on 5 of 10 minions
  • Shadow Essence : good-excellent result on 9 of 11 minions
  • Eternal Servitude to bring back the dead
KFT Valeera Hollow : (Rogue) Miracle/Midrange/Value. Less of a miracle deck, looks to control board, play Valeera and mimic value cards.
  • Survival & Control with Shadow Blade & Doomerang
  • Valanar for healing & taunt
  • Mimic Arcane Giants, Elise, Un'Goro Packs
KFT C'Thun RotLich : (Warrior) Value / Control / Fatigue.
  • C'Thun package for board control & armor
  • Rotface for additional value
  • Lich King for additional value
  • Dead Man's Hand for continuous value
  • 4 Weapons in Deck, Forge of Souls picks them out to avoid bad top-decks.
  • 19 cards 1-3 mana.
KFT Infinite Elise Fatigue : (Warrior) Meme / Fatigue. Only 9 minions. Only value is Elise. All Warrior cards are spells for Draw & Control.
  • Insane Draw machine to get infinite hand size and play many Elise / Un'Goro Packs.
  • Fatigue out opponent
KFT Taunting Jades : (Druid) Jade Druid / Control / Taunts
  • Punish every greedy deck that doesn't run Skulking Geist (like all of mine I'm posting)
  • In case of Skulking Geist, have backup plan
  • Gnash : 3 mana, gain 3 attack & 3 armor. Seems insane to help survive early game even more as Jade Druid
  • Malfurian at 7 mana is a great recovery & survival tool
  • Play Jades & Taunts until you win game
KFT N'Zothemental Simulpyros : (Mage) Control / Value
  • Coldwraith for additional draw
  • 1x Simulcrum to copy Pyros (or other key "low cost" card.)
  • Baron Geddon to heal you between 2 - 30 health after you've turned into Frost Lich Jaina
  • Sindragosa & Pyros into N'Zoth
KFT Frozen Marsh : (Hunter) Quest / Aggressive
  • Stitched Tracker to help find quest pieces
  • Deathstalker for late game & some board control
  • Prince Keleseth to buff your raptors (or early minions if lucky)

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wonder how many packs we will get for like launch day quests.

Gotten 3 already + 9 classic from prelaunch here, with just restarting yesterday. (Hated last xpac, so been away a while - this xpac looks like it'll renew my interest though)

• 1Like

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thought this was a brand new card but its not.

upload_2017-8-8_12-48-41.png

Last edited:
  • 1Smuggly