Heroes 3: Horn of the Abyss

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Reading the D3 thread and people complaining that there's nothing to play reminded me of one of the greatest games ever made, which was made even better by a bunch of russians.

What is it ?
Addon like Armageddon's Blad or Shadow of Death, created by the modders and entirely free. Adds 1 new castle with heroes, castle screen, creatures, fixed graphics for many existing ones, added tons of new locations, tuned the existing ones and all that while trying to keep the spirit of the original game. The random map generator also got some tuning and you can generate entirely random but still very enjoyable maps anytime you want to, but they have included a lot of their own scenarios and a campaign on top. I think they have succeeded on all fronts and it's very much worth playing.

You need to have Heroes 3 with all expansion, or more commonly theGoG version.

Then, I strongly suggest getting Heroes 3 HD, which lets you run the game in modern resolutions with a heap of bugfixes on top (which aren't fixed in HotA itself) and a handy launcher on top.
Download here :HoMM3 HD

Mod itself:
Official thread:Heroes Community - [Official Thread] Heroes of might and magic III: Horn of the Abyss
Donwload:Download HotA_1.3.2_eng_setup.exe from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
Latest version is 1.3.2, but the mod automatically checks for updates, so any version past 1.3.0 is fine
Install it after you install the HD version 3.711

In case you run in into any issues where the game is reporting missing files or generating crashes on start, I suggest complete reinstall of H3, because something didn't install correctly (I spent a few hours tinkering with it before realizing that)

If you want to run in windowed, run the HD launcher and, choose "More options (ini file)" and edit the line at the bottom of the file - "<Main Game Full Screen> = 0"

Some pictures:
MoZFqYt.jpg

3cE1R3A.jpg

0iPOBVI.jpg

wmIGCGm.jpg

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I really enjoyed the previous player expansion, wake of the gods. Thanks for posting about this one, should be fun to load up heroes 3 again with some new content.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I really enjoyed the previous player expansion, wake of the gods. Thanks for posting about this one, should be fun to load up heroes 3 again with some new content.
It's not compatible with WoG, keep that in mind.