Home buying thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
SketchUp is easy to use but some of it wasn’t immediately straight forward. One of my favorite tutorials was from a guy whose woodworking channel I follow, Steve Ramsey, but there are a ton out there.
man fuck that steve ramsey guy, cuz of him i bought a grip it!

don't even know how to use the thing!

*edit
man his tutorial is mainly geared for woodworking (obviously) guess i'll look for a home one and see (would have wanted to watch his cuz he's familiar)

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
dude i looked at so many houses last week, i could date the preferences of the builders by year (at least in tn)

like in the 80s they kitchens then a hallway that leads to the dining room, now the more modern homes you clearly see just an entire "open concept" kitchen + dining room.

back then it was just a rectangular strip for the bathroom, vanity, toilet on the side of the vanity (you can have your toilet paper dispenser hanging off the side of the vanity) and then a tub right next to the toilet.

now everything has it's own door, you walk into the bath room and then you have to open the door for the toilet, or open another door for the shower, likes thats a lot of fucking doors.

i still remember the newest "weirdest" concept was the garage door entry (the door that connects the garage to the home, i learned this is called a firewall door) opened into the laundry room which connected to the master bedroom

what kind of preferences are you sketchin up?

Nothing particularly fancy. I'll post more pics as I get the 3d model done. Exterior style is a modern farmhouse.

Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
man fuck that steve ramsey guy, cuz of him i bought a grip it!

don't even know how to use the thing!

*edit
man his tutorial is mainly geared for woodworking (obviously) guess i'll look for a home one and see (would have wanted to watch his cuz he's familiar)

What’s a grip it? lol

Well yeah I did say I got it for woodworking hah.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Looks good. however, I don't see a large sprawling dedicated space for a command center? :p
Will have two pc areas the study and the loft . Going to put the kids pc stations up at loft instead of all four of us in one area

My kids are now 20 and 17 so we are trying to set up house for adult children for next 10 yrs or so. Each has their own bathroom , made sure no bedrooms share walls etc . Keep wife and I having our own area.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Will have two pc areas the study and the loft . Going to put the kids pc stations up at loft instead of all four of us in one area .
Good call, the room with 4 PCs and people would be 100 degrees at all times

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Will have two pc areas the study and the loft . Going to put the kids pc stations up at loft instead of all four of us in one area

My kids are now 20 and 17 so we are trying to set up house for adult children for next 10 yrs or so. Each has their own bathroom , made sure no bedrooms share walls etc . Keep wife and I having our own area.
really seems like youre shortchanging bedroom 3 by adding a full bath in there

do kids really want their own bath nowadays?

i remember it was just fine sharing a bath with my mom/dad and 2 sisters.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>

bedroom 3 is still 13' x 12'6" which is still decent and upgrade from the room son has had for last 17yrs. The one request the kids had was separate bathrooms, literally the only thing they listed as caring about.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I fully understand that people have their own preferences, but have you all lived in big houses before?

I hated it. And our house wasn't even that big (about 2000 sqft). It's all just excessive space. Like a bathroom with lots of space to just walk around for...reasons?

Seeing people talk about 4000 sqft houses and I'm just like, what the fuck do you do with all that space?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I fully understand that people have their own preferences, but have you all lived in big houses before?

I hated it. And our house wasn't even that big (about 2000 sqft). It's all just excessive space. Like a bathroom with lots of space to just walk around for...reasons?

Seeing people talk about 4000 sqft houses and I'm just like, what the fuck do you do with all that space?

Our house now is 1800sq ft one we are building is around 2600sq ft. Because we wanted a bigger plot of land when we shopped existing most of the houses were just way too big 4000-6000sq ft. I personally really dont want to live in a big house. If it was just my wife and I we would probably be happy with just 1300-1500sq ft. But I do like the house to be of decent quality and all to often higher quality ends up being larger and small houses are "cheaper". One of the reasons we just decided to build.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

Mine is only over 4000 sq ft because we have 4 small kids. We have the master, 3 bedrooms upstairs for the the 4 kids (twins share), and an extra bedroom downstairs for visitors (necessary when we have in-laws stay for weeks at a time). There is an upstairs game room and media room because we are in Houston and that means there are days that they are inside all day because of rain or heat and 4 boys running/rolling around/playing/wrestling is super cramped without a dedicated room. The media room is the only room with a TV so we get to gather there. We bought this because they will eventually all need their own rooms. Once they leave we assume that the size of the house will make it easier for them to come home to visit and bring their families.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
2.875 @ 30yr
2.25 @ 15yr

Both at 20% and 10% down. Not bad, previous quote was 2.99%

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I visited a friend's house a few years ago and wound up using the kid's bathroom. It was kind of disgusting.

Fucker

Log Wizard

Carlin's Law. You need a place to put all your shit. Have more shit? Need more space.

For most of us, life is nothing more than the accumulation and storage of shit.

When you die, all your shit gets sold in a garage sale for a penny per pound to people who don't need more shit, but want it anyway, and will forget about it an hour after they store it.

My pad is 3200 sqft, single occupancy. I like having a huge office. Big kitchen. A side room to store my kitchen stuff and a giant walk in pantry to store my food stuff. A normal pantry to store more food stuff. A big garage for garage stuff. A good sized bedroom. Tall walls up and down. Roomy staircase. A reasonably sized hobby room. A few spare rooms. Once you get used to having space, you don't want less space....not to any large degree.

My GF has her own house and it's about 2600 sqft...also single occupancy. Both of us have no kids and are big on personal space and having things the way we like them.

My house is two story. I've looked at a 4000+ sqft single level home and just about jizzed myself into a coma. SO MUCH ROOM.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
really seems like youre shortchanging bedroom 3 by adding a full bath in there

do kids really want their own bath nowadays?

i remember it was just fine sharing a bath with my mom/dad and 2 sisters.
dude what? i would never want my kids to use my bathroom. i'm sure it was "fine" for you but if you can give them some dedicated space and autonomy, all the better. teach them to not be some damn animals and take care of shit while your at it ya know

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Rented a house a few years ago for a few months. It wasn't that large but they had the most square footage in the dumbest of places, well to me at least. The master bathroom by itself was larger than the kitchen. The closet in the master bedroom was larger than the kitchen and dining room combined. It really didn't matter to me but I felt like going to the bathroom was like a great hall. To bet to the closet you had to go from the bedroom through that bathroom then the closet. I didn't measure it but felt like 1/3 the square footage of the house was in the one bathroom and closet. Personally rather would have just an extra bedroom with a small closet to put extra shit in or office and then could have used it as a bedroom when the need came up. "Sure you can crash here for a few days, have I got a closet for you".

Until I got sick my shop at the house was double the square footage of my house. I owed lots of shit lol. At least it was out of sight, out of mind.

I first listed it with a realator since I wasn't there to sell it. That didn't last long at all. Bitched to no end about the price I put on it. "You can't add to the price having 3 phase power in the shop". Shit got old quick. It sold pretty quick to someone that bought it for the shop and the house was a bonus.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so apparently the homeowner i'm buying from is "proud" of his house and my realtor mentioned to him that the inspector gave it a c- rating and he's really mad and we sent over radon, roof, electrical, hvac, plumbing guys and he wants to see the report

i'm like he could knock $500 off the house if he wants to see a copy of the report, cuz i paid for it.