Home buying thread

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
How can that possibly be legal?
1648498767808.png

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I just saw a place listed for 2m+ about 5 minutes from me. Its like they got South shore and North shore reversed.
The prices are bonkers everywhere in vicinity of NYC. And people are still fighting viciously over each property.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Hell, place I moved into 16 months ago would go for ~80% more today. If I had hit the 2 year mark to avoid excess capital gains and was single I'd be all over that to try to turn a quick profit in anticipation of prices dropping.

Its hard to imagine the market is not at some local peak right now. I know all the printed money has been a huge boost to the price increases and a lot of the purchases may be investments using excess cash - but those interest rates are going up faster than the home prices now. Something is about to break the other way, and its probably not the interest rates.

I got my loan at 2.5% end of 2020 - looks like it'd be at 4.5%+ today. Some quick math says that if i bought the same house at today's price with today's interest rates, my monthly payment would be 2.5x higher. Jeebus.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
All this home talk got me to look at the MLS in my town. Jeebus the fucking prices. Zero, I mean zero for sale in my town under $550k. A knockdown and rebuild 3 blocks away (4/3 with 1 car garage and no pool) on a normal sized (1/8 acre) lot hitting the market asking almost $1m. WTF.
In my part of LA you can't even get a vacant lot for under a million. Prices have run up so far it's fucking insane. A 2k sq ft 3/2 in decent condition is closing for $1.4-1.7M, all cash, in three days, with literally 50-60 bids. Granted, it's a small city with buyer competition for A+++ schools, but still...

Weirdly, the cost of rentals (if you can find them, inventory is TINY) is on the order of half the cost of ownership.

Last edited:
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
In my part of LA you can't even get a vacant lot for under a million. Prices have run up so far it's fucking insane. A 2k sq ft 3/2 in decent condition is closing for $1.4-1.7M, all cash, in three days, with literally 50-60 bids. Granted, it's a small city with buyer competition for A+++ schools, but still...

Weirdly, the cost of rentals (if you can find them, inventory is TINY) is on the order of half the cost of ownership.

Atlanta has the opposite issue. Houses are renting for 1.5x what they'd otherwise mortgage for.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Fuck home shopping. Was ready to bid 25k over on this because we have no tolerance for a 6 month hunt again. Of course it went under contract yesterday.

Added difficulty because we have such a large area, hard to get a realtor that wants to or can even help with it. But the realty sites like this one are a couple days behind.

Essentially looking 30mins to an hour outside okc/tulsa in any direction. Many fine houses. Many fine properties for trees outbuildings etc. But rarely both. Meanwhile like when i bought in 14, interest rates, prices, everything is rising so added time pressure.

Sludig

They seem to be really fractured by area. Even just finding one for all around tulsa alone is tricky. One acts like it's a favor to maybe help with a house 30 minutes north of his area.

Sludig

Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes

Looking at this. 707 SW 499 Dr, Pryor, OK 74361 | realtor.com®

Price was at upper end but nearly a full hour from tulsa. Upper range of price we wanted, figured it'd Be sleepy. But talking to our realtor it is red hot and probably going for a fair bit over asking. Looking on Google News it looks like there's major google data center another company data center and other manufacturing going in and I started thinking maybe this would actually make a really good investment property 5+years down the road. Also maybe better accounting for wife or jobs for me rather than commuting to tulsa. Be it local pd/ high end security or i take courses and get a technical job.

Or maybe i just don't want to walk from another property that hits our desires of nice house with wood Fireplace and gas stove. Extra outdoor garage/shed, areas for animals and tree cover. Extra bonus for shooting on property. We should be able to afford it especially if we sell colorado instead of renting it out.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I'm closing on an investment property in 3 days. My lender just called me and goes, "yeah the rate on your loan went from 4.375 that we quoted you and wrote on all your paperwork, to 4.875 because of the market"

Naturally, I became quite livid because it looked like they waited till the very last moment to pull this on me instead of warning me about locking in the rate, or disclosing in advance that this would likely happen.

I went to look over the paperwork and I didnt lock in the rate. Am I just at their mercy now or is there anything I can do? I mean if it was 5-15 basis points I probably wouldnt be as rustled, but 50 basis points is just straight insulting.

1649100286991.png

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm closing on an investment property in 3 days. My lender just called me and goes, "yeah the rate on your loan went from 4.375 that we quoted you and wrote on all your paperwork, to 4.875 because of the market"

Naturally, I became quite livid because it looked like they waited till the very last moment to pull this on me instead of warning me about locking in the rate, or disclosing in advance that this would likely happen.

I went to look over the paperwork and I didnt lock in the rate. Am I just at their mercy now or is there anything I can do? I mean if it was 5-15 basis points I probably wouldnt be as rustled, but 50 basis points is just straight insulting.

View attachment 406484
Prepare to assume the Ossoi position. Face down and ass up.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord

View attachment 406484
AFAIK, you're boned on the rate, unless you have reason to believe it's gonna go back down in the next 24 hours. Which it won't.