Home buying thread

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There are tons of old condos in Florida, doesn’t surprise me..

I mean, I "feel" for those people. I hope Im not old as fuck one day and Im getting taxed so heavily that my only option is to leave. But HOA dues in Condo's have been going up heavily across the country ever since inflation went fucking nuts. HOA's have been struggling to keep up with rising costs, offering less amenities and more because the actual voting owners would/are refusing the increase.

The Condominium Association that I manage has went up on their dues 6 times over the past two years. The bylaws state that its a max of 3 times a year, and that its 10% maximum raise each time if my memory is correct. All six times has been the maximum. They went from the lowest square feet condo's paying $130/month to $230/month in just two years iirc. That's not a lot, sure. But lets keep in mind that these condo's are roughly 8 years old. The condo's that I outright own on the other side of town have only went up a handful of times and are the biggest sq/ft in that association. Going from $120 to $188/month - which really, they were built in the 1980's and will need far more repairs than the first association I mentioned.

So I cant imagine some BEACH FRONT Condominium buildings, that have survived Hurricane force winds yearly, wouldnt need a SUBSTANTIAL increase. The article that tweet links to is kind of misleading though. "Owners have to pay upwards of $110,000 for the repair!" ... Which spread over, lets say 90 Condo's, over the course of a year, thats just a $100 increase per month roughly.

Shits getting expensive. Pikachu Shocked!

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I cant imagine some BEACH FRONT Condominium buildings, that have survived Hurricane force winds yearly, wouldnt need a SUBSTANTIAL increase. The article that tweet links to is kind of misleading though. "Owners have to pay upwards of $110,000 for the repair!" ... Which spread over, lets say 90 Condo's, over the course of a year, thats just a $100 increase per month roughly.
I think the way I read that article it isn't $110,000 spread over 90 condos... it's $110,000 FOR EACH OF THE 90 CONDOS ($9 million repair)

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think the way I read that article it isn't $110,000 spread over 90 condos... it's $110,000 FOR EACH OF THE 90 CONDOS ($9 million repair)
I pulled 90 out of my ass. But if thats a cost per condo then they are fucked.

Actually, that brings up the question of how that works out if they cant afford it. Does the building get condemned at that point? If its condemned, what happens to the peoples property at that point. Does it get liquidated and they get pennies on the dollar at that point? Because an investor could afford the repair and the purchase of the building, but its obviously not going to go for a premium.

I remember the collapse and another article pointed out how another facility was having a similar issue and I theorized how a developer was actually behind it all in order to get the property much cheaper…

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Yup, those aren't just dues increases but special assessments for capital expenditures. FL condo market is getting hosed.

• 1Like

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
It’s mostly the big buildings because the collapse caused them to require the removal of a lot of the brick right?

my parents have a condo in a 3 unit building but it is stick frame and no assessments at all.

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A couple of points.moat likely many condos haven't had a roof redone in decades. People only notice the assessments when they get hit. They ignore the decades with no assessments as "normal". Shit needs fixed now and again.roof mounted industrial AC units eventually due in the S FL heat.

Also, the home insurance market is fucked in FL. Especially down south. If they can't get a passing four point that can't get insurance for the building. When you are in hurricane alley this is part and parcel of what you have to live with.

I own a condo in S Fla. Calling around for better ins rates is an exercise in futility. Lots of companies aren't writing new policies and those who are have jacked rates to the sky. Age of the rood and what code it was installed under are the only questions they care about. Having a new roof actually saves money in ins savings over the long term

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Also, the home insurance market is fucked in FL. Especially down south. If they can't get a passing four point that can't get insurance for the building. When you are in hurricane alley this is part and parcel of what you have to live with.

I own a condo in S Fla. Calling around for better ins rates is an exercise in futility. Lots of companies aren't writing new policies and those who are have jacked rates to the sky. Age of the rood and what code it was installed under are the only questions they care about. Having a new roof actually saves money in ins savings over the long term

My dad built a house on Boca Grande. The insurance company quoted him $35k per year to cover the property. He said fuck that, spent $100k extra overbuilding the house to a cat 5 hurricane spec, and self-insured. He sold it a few years ago, but in '22 his house got hit dead fucking center by the eyewall of Ian. There was a lot of damage to the island and surrounding properties, but once the dust settled the new owners called my dad to thank him because there wasn't so much as a loose screw on the place.

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If we ever figure out a way to build our place in Orange Beach, that's what I want to do as well. Make it a fucking tank and hurricane proof. Just grab some flood insurance and not worry about the rest.

Captain Suave

Just grab some flood insurance and not worry about the rest.

My dad built his two-story where the living space was self-contained on the upper level and ground level was garage/storage with breakaway walls in case of flood. He'd lose the lower siding and whatever shit was down there, but his house was on 20-foot stilts and the water would just flow through. His only real worry was if a storm surge ripped someone else's house off their foundation and it hit his.

After dealing with water damage and termites I fantasize about building a future house out of welded 3/4'' steel plate like Andrew Camarata.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A couple of points.moat likely many condos haven't had a roof redone in decades. People only notice the assessments when they get hit. They ignore the decades with no assessments as "normal". Shit needs fixed now and again.roof mounted industrial AC units eventually due in the S FL heat.

How does this work in FL exactly? From a Euro perspective, I'd expect the HOA fees to include insuring and maintaining the building, landscaping, pool etc. Would you need to buy additional insurance if you owned a unit in the building?

I'm going to be in the market for a snowbird perch in a few years so I was checking out a few of the places I rented on a recent trip there. 2/2 1100 sq ft condo in Miami was over $900 in HOA fees and another 6k a year in property taxes. Probably won't be going there.

Captain Suave

How does this work in FL exactly? From a Euro perspective, I'd expect the HOA fees to include insuring and maintaining the building, landscaping, pool etc. Would you need to buy additional insurance if you owned a unit in the building?

I'm going to be in the market for a snowbird perch in a few years so I was checking out a few of the places I rented on a recent trip there. 2/2 1100 sq ft condo in Miami was over $900 in HOA fees and another 6k a year in property taxes. Probably won't be going there.

HOA fees generally only cover insurance for common areas. You're on the hook for your personal part of the property.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My dad built a house on Boca Grande. The insurance company quoted him $35k per year to cover the property. He said fuck that, spent $100k extra overbuilding the house to a cat 5 hurricane spec, and self-insured. He sold it a few years ago, but in '22 his house got hit dead fucking center by the eyewall of Ian. There was a lot of damage to the island and surrounding properties, but once the dust settled the new owners called my dad to thank him because there wasn't so much as a loose screw on the place.
Yeah, Andrew taught us the real weakness was in the roof and those second stories made out of plywood. After Andrew new roof designs and cinder block up to the roof made them nearly storm proof.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
HOA fees generally only cover insurance for common areas. You're on the hook for your personal part of the property.

So if the building burns down/falls over, I'd on the hook for the cost of rebuilding unless I had additional insurance? Where I live, the entire building would be covered via the HOA and my risk would be limited to furniture, carpets or a more luxurious kitchen than what the building came with.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

What Suave said. Your HOA covers insurance for the building and property (including the roof). Interior of your walls is yours to cover. So liability, loss of property, flood etc for the interior of the condo is on you. Anywhere but Florida it's should be dirt cheap because you aren't covering the actual structure itself.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So if the building burns down/falls over, I'd on the hook for the cost of rebuilding unless I had additional insurance? Where I live, the entire building would be covered via the HOA and my risk would be limited to furniture, carpets or a more luxurious kitchen than what the building came with.
No. The building rebuild would be covered under the HOA policy. Your interior such as appliances, furniture, carpet/tile, personal property etc would not be covered by the HOA policy.

• 1Like

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Did you listen to the agent?
Of course where you're going with this is I must be unethical if I used the information, right? And that probably sounds good to someone with a second-grade view of ethics.

I didn't have any duty to any involved party, whereas the agent had a duty of confidentiality to the other buyer. I had no such duty.

I don't expect you to understand this though, I'm sure this is just another "omg lawyerz are the worst!!!!11" post, and I'm sure your reply will oblige me.

• 1Potato
  • 1Imbecile
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Of course where you're going with this is I must be unethical if I used the information, right? And that probably sounds good to someone with a second-grade view of ethics.

I didn't have any duty to any involved party, whereas the agent had a duty of confidentiality to the other buyer. I had no such duty.

I don't expect you to understand this though, I'm sure this is just another "omg lawyerz are the worst!!!!11" post, and I'm sure your reply will oblige me.
LOL. No. I wrote that expecting your usual choad view of things. You always deliver.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
LOL. No. I wrote that expecting your usual choad view of things. You always deliver.
Good, I wasn't expecting any intelligent reply, and you also obliged me, just like I said you would.

• 1Moron

Caligula_The_Cat

Vyemm Raider
Anyone have a website for good comps for real estate, without the need to sign up or add a phone number/email? Zillows estimate seems very low when compared to the recently sold listings.