Home buying thread

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Buying for cash solves this problem. I don't think too many poors are gonna be going the cash route. Non-poors will always find a way to avoid shit like this.

Basically anyone who already has a house with equity will most likely be either all cash or easily hit the 20% down for a conforming mortgage.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Where do you fags live and what's your property tax like? I need to leave IL but have never lived anywhere else and don't really have a great concept of where is cheap/expensive aside from the obvious no-go zones like cali/NY etc.

I looked at an old Chicago greystone this morning in an okay-ish but not great neighborhood that I could buy outright with cash - two flat building in good structural shape but needed a lot of remodeling to be really livable. Kinda looked pretty good until I looked at the previous years tax assessments where they wanted ~9k a year to the state in property taxes for a building you can't even legally live in right now, so that was kind of the last shred of hope I had that I could maybe own something here near what's left of my family.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Where do you fags live and what's your property tax like? I need to leave IL but have never lived anywhere else and don't really have a great concept of where is cheap/expensive aside from the obvious no-go zones like cali/NY etc.

I looked at an old Chicago greystone this morning in an okay-ish but not great neighborhood that I could buy outright with cash - two flat building in good structural shape but needed a lot of remodeling to be really livable. Kinda looked pretty good until I looked at the previous years tax assessments where they wanted ~9k a year to the state in property taxes for a building you can't even legally live in right now, so that was kind of the last shred of hope I had that I could maybe own something here near what's left of my family.
I am currently about to be paroled from my confinement in NY and am heading back to FL. Do yourself a favor and go to Florida. You can thank me later.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I am currently about to be paroled from my confinement in NY and am heading back to FL. Do yourself a favor and go to Florida. You can thank me later.

I like the idea of Florida but I'm really not sure I can handle the climate heh. That kind of year round ballsweat might actually drive me insane.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I like the idea of Florida but I'm really not sure I can handle the climate heh. That kind of year round ballsweat might actually drive me insane.

We just scare people about the humidity to keep them away, it's fine if you're near the coast. Just do live in the center like Orlando

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
We just scare people about the humidity to keep them away, it's fine if you're near the coast. Just do live in the center like Orlando

Hmm, to be fair I've only ever been to Orlando on work trips, and it felt like hell on earth

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
if it's your first home and you have a front/backyard

make sure theyre keeping up w/ the landscaping, so you don't move into a dead lawn
Yeah, they put down sod for our new build. Almost a year and a half later and I'm still trying to get grass to grow. Granted, they were dickbags and left the pallets of sod sitting outside for about a week. That shit was super dead.

Finished installing a sprinkler system myself about a month ago. But the backyard portion was finished in October and that shit's still dead.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That guy is retarded and he's being a fucking snake with words

"it's not really punishing (people with high credit scores), it's just rewarding them less"

should've known cause his thumbnail is 100% soy
It's government getting involved in risk management.

There's probably a reason LLPA's were super high on people with shit credit. This is fucking up the models of anyone giving a mortgage with government interference.

I'm sure nothing bad will come of it though, right?

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Hmm, to be fair I've only ever been to Orlando on work trips, and it felt like hell on earth
Don't be a pussy. I Live in central Florida and I can cope with humidity. I can't cope with chimpcago.

• 1Solidarity

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Orlando is probably one of the worse places to go in Florida, let alone live. That'd be like me going to Portland and saying Oregon sucks.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The thing about Florida is, the humidity sucks in the summer. But it sucks in the summer for like 2/3 of the US, too.

The only difference is that Florida's summer is slightly longer. Like, 2 months extra out of the year.

Complain about the bugs and shit if you want something to complain about with Florida.

• 2Like

Rais

Trakanon Raider
1682313623639.png

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

For Florida: A lot of IL people seemed to have gravitated to the gulf coast between Ft. Myers and Naples. I would never live there though. I hate the bugs, the extra humidity of it all, and sand. It also seems to have a much higher percentage of sketchy people than any other state. I have worked for companies that refuse to offer Net 30 to any company out of Florida, without a fairly in depth review and higher management approval (than normal), due to such a high percent of outstanding/late payments vs everywhere else.

Texas has the heat, that unless you are on the coast, is not as humid as Florida and far fewer bugs. The winters are mild and make up for the shitty summer. The home prices are/were much lower per SQFT than IL and no state income tax, but property tax is huge. DFW to Chicago is a fairly quick flight, or a single days drive (13h-15h) as well.

Arkansas, outside of Little Rock, actually looked interesting, as they have low costs of living across the board, or at least did 5 or so years ago.

I hear Tennessee is kinda like Arkansas as well, but gets a bit colder than southern AR (TN actually gets yearly snowfall and shit).

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
you're correct, the weather really is that bad

this is the tradeoff in the US, there is no getting around it. leftists gravitate toward places with constantly pleasant weather because they can't handle adversity. anywhere the culture is OK, the weather will suck for at least part of the year.

my suggestion is a very rural area in a blue state, but there are no perfect solutions. only tradeoffs.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I mean that would obviously be preferable except for the tradeoff that was the whole point of my post.

I've moved around a shitload, lived in most regions of this country.

I don't know of a red state with a decent climate. (also, fuck states without an ocean, not living there)