Home buying thread

Izuldan_foh

shitlord
Yiliumn said:
Does anyone have any experience making a low ball offer on a REO or foreclosure property? I bought a house 2 1/2 years ago after making an offer of about 75% of the original asking price. After watching the market continue to drop I feel like I could have offered 50-60% and still had it accepted.

The market where I am seems to have finally bottomed out, and I"m looking on snagging another piece of property in the near future.

I found a house today that is listed at 119,000$, just reduced from 140,000$. It has an incredible amount of potential(unique style, fairly secluded) but I was only Pre-approved for 60,000....

I know it"s way out of my price range, but I figure it will need at least 30,000$ worth of improvements to be on par with the rest of the neighborhood.

Am I fooling myself, or has anyone seen or experienced success with this kind of lowball offer?
A few helpful hints. First, see what bank or institution holds the title to the home, and see what their history is as far as selling foreclosures. Usually the smaller banks have more leeway.

Second, see what foreclosuresonlyare going for in your area, because that is what the bank/title holder is going off of also. It"s some desk jockey in White Plains, Nebraska who"s never seen the home before in person and who"s evaluating the home based purely off of comps.

Thirdly, come in all cash if you can. If not, at the bare minimum pre-qualify. Banks are looking to dump these properties with the least amount of hassle possible.

Fourthly, look at how long the property has been on the market. Is it a new listing? Don"t bother, the bank doesn"t have a good sense of what the true price point of the property is yet and are less likely to deal. Has it been on the market for over a year with re-listings at a lower price a few times? Bingo. That"s a clue the bank has no fucking clue what the true value of the home is, and you can come in and make the argument that what you are offering is the true value, obviously if they were at the right price point the house would have sold already.

The most recent property I purchased was the last scenario I showed you. It was a foreclosure that had sat on market for over a year, it was de-listed and re-listed 3 times. I went through my real estate agent and asked to speak to the bank"s loan officer personally (this way my agent would see I wasn"t going behind her back, we have a good working relationship, and she would get her commission anyways. But I felt it was important to speak to the officer personally because I would be more persuasive). I told the loan officer that I was an all cash offer, "X" dollars was all I was willing to offer, take it or leave it, the reasons my offer was so much lower was because the property had been vacant for so long and since I was buying as-is chances were I would need a lot to renovate it. Furthermore, I told him we both understood this was a toxic asset that the bank would want off the books, and that he and I both realized this was likely the best offer he would receive in the next 6 months or so. Did he really want to risk going with someone else with a possible marginal credit history, maybe a traditional 20/80 loan, only to have that person dump (foreclose) the house after if they didn"t like it?

He accepted my offer. It still took about 6 months to close though =) I got a home that was originally listed for $720,000, then re-listed all the way down to $495,000, and which I purchased for $322,400.

By the way, and I have nothing to show you if this trick works or not, but I like to offer an oddball number as a bid. For example, $322,400 instead of a straight number like $325,000. To me, it seems like you have put more thought into it instead of just pulling a number out of thin air. When they ask me "how did you arrive at that number?" I would say "because based on the research I"ve done on the property and the surrounding area, this is the figure that I"ve calculated". I just think it looks more believable when it"s some screwy number than when it"s a nice whole number. Again, no evidence to show this makes any difference, but it"s something I like to do.

Chaotic_foh

shitlord
Anyone have advice with foreclosure listing sites? I"ve read reviews of the major ones and it seems like a mixed bag. I think my first forray while I have time will be to see if i can snag a good deal on a foreclosure.

Also, to those who offered advice about my plan I presented in the last page (or two?) that"s great. I didn"t even realize that the tax deductions won"t apply if it"s not your primary residence. Game changer.

Izuldan_foh

shitlord
My advice is to find a real estate agent you can trust. I used to check MLS listings and have agents email me foreclosures to peruse over, but I don"t have time for that.

Basically if you can find an agent you like to work with, just tell him/her what you are looking for (home to turn into a rental, or a condo, or a duplex, whatever), as well as what your price range is. Also what amenities are important to have in the house (garage, appliances, washer/dryer, whatever). Then they can do the legwork to narrow down the field so you don"t have to waste time going to look at properties that won"t suit you.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
God damn buying a house is a frustrating experience! We found the perfect home - just what we were looking for, at the price we wanted to pay - and had our offer passed over for another. Ok that sucks, but we"ll keep looking.

A month later we find out that the deal fell through and jump back on that house hardcore. Find out that they had made it far enough into the process that the pest inspection had been done, the home inspection had been done, the septic tank had an inspection done, and the same bank we were going to use had even done an appraisal - all stuff that would cost us money and were being handed to the next buyer free on a silver platter! Awesome!

Even better, we found out WHY the deal fell through, so we knew exactly how to make our new offer to give them exactly what they wanted. The owner"s realtor even says hey, we only have two offers we"re considering this time, and the other guy is low-balling us, so you look good, and I"m meeting with the owner again later in the week to go over the two deals. Score! How can we lose this?

Find out this morning, they decided to work with the guy whose offer they originally accepted, and were just fishing for much better offers...

I really want to go out and choke a bitch right now. Not a good way to start the weekend fuckity fuck fuck fuck

Sunlei_foh

shitlord
I"ll place this house here, I considered it for a rental. I know it"s a depressed area. A tight house, well cared for and their lawyer does have the paperwork ready. The Father passed away, kids want it sold for the family. Son lives there now and perhaps could could collect rent from him right away.

Nice house, liveable as it is. The price is right. I bought something else recently so I pass this "deal" on for anyone here who wants to check it out.

http://vi.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI....vct=1&caz.html

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just had an offer accepted on our first house. Fiance and I are very excited. No counter, offered 93% or so below asking, which put it in line with the comps in the area at under $100 / sq ft. House is around 2400 sq ft as advertised, but that seems small when you walk around. Finished 400 sq ft basement, three different decks: Living Room, Master Bed, Guest Room, etc.. View overlooking West Little Rock, privacy from neighbors.

Now for the inspections, etc... Hope everything goes well, we"ll close on July 18th.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Closing on my first house in 8 days! Going for my re-inspection tomorrow!

Can"t waaaait. Anyone want to paint for me? Will pay MMO sub...

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, how in the hell are you buying a house with that kitchen? Do you not cook? That seems like it"s gonna be impossible to work in at all. Good fucking luck having people over for the holidays or something. You can"t even open the fridge door if there"s someone else in the kitchen.

Kitchens are like the make or break room of the house. If you"re getting a deal on that house, it"s because that kitchen is holding the place back.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Yes, exactly. The general order you want to look at is:

1. Kitchen (by far). Wife and I are in the market for a ~450k property, and it"s amazing to me how many of them have bland kitchens or kitchens with particle board counters. Are you fucking kidding me? Level 5+ granite or bust and better have a pimp backsplash.

2. Master Bathroom. Very important, should accomidate two people very well. Saw some where the mans sink and the womans sink were on an L corner. Who the fuck designs shit like that? If the woman is sitting down, there is no place for the man to stand over his sink.

3. Flooring. Carpet sucks, and alternating carpet/tile/wood is worse. Keep shit static, with only the rooms changing if you must. Personally I want a carpet-free house.

4. Master Bedroom. Nuff said.

5. Everything else.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Big Picasso said:
Ignorant

You can change all that shit
Yea lots of people spend tens of thousands of dollars customizing perfectly workable 200k houses.

* okay some people probably do but those people are stupid.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Big Picasso said:
that fridge looks crazy deep
The usability of the kitchen was my biggest fear going in to the house in person, based on the perspective of the picture taken in the photos. But there is more room than the image would suggest. The fridge isn"t coming with the house, so we"ll replace it with a counter depth for added room. My reaction was the exact same as everyone else"s though, especially since I cook every night.

The inspection was this morning and my biggest concern is that at 23 years old all the HVAC is original. Maybe it shouldn"t be a concern, no idea how to approach it and we"ll talk to Realtor tomorrow. But with two AC and Furnace that could go at any time, not sure how to feel really.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Just make them replace the AC or adjust your price accordingly. A 23 year old HVAC is nice to last that long, but it"s no where near energy efficient anymore and will more than likely break down.

Wife and I signed a contract on a new house today. 4/4 + office 3350sq ft on a 0.52 acre lot with a dedicated upstairs for a media room, bathroom, and wetbar. Man cave? Moar like man floor. Will be moving in around Jan 2013. Whooo

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Intrinsic said:
The inspection was this morning and my biggest concern is that at 23 years old all the HVAC is original. Maybe it shouldn"t be a concern, no idea how to approach it and we"ll talk to Realtor tomorrow. But with two AC and Furnace that could go at any time, not sure how to feel really.
I"ve had a couple people over that look at my heater and go "Uhh...that might be original." House was built in "81.

Fuck it. If it ain"t broke, don"t worry about it. Replace it when it breaks down. Trust me...shit"s gonna break all the fucking time once you start being responsible for it. The storm is gonna blow the fence over, trees are gonna fall down because it rained too much, shingles are gonna peel back, your kitchen sink is gonna start leaking. Shit you don"t even know about is gonna break. It"s just the life of the home owner.

Big Picasso said:
Ignorant

You can change all that shit
I dunno that I"d go that far. Flooring is ignorant, for sure. Flooring and walls are pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things, that should never be an issue for anyone. Don"t ever not buy a house because the house is the wrong color or you don"t like the carpet/hardwood/etc. But if you really want a decent master bedroom (I don"t, because I spend 7 hours a day in it, and my eyes are shut the entire time) or bathroom, then that"s a valid reason to pass on a house. It"s a lot of work to just knock down walls and build what you want.

joeboo13_foh

shitlord
Also with an AC and furnace that old, one thing to consider is that the price of replacing both at the same time would probably be significantly less than doing them separately, especially if the AC goes out first. Installing a new AC requires quite a bit of labor/time spent with the furnace, so you can usually save a good amount of labor expense by doing both at the same time.

Not to mention you probably wouldn"t see the full benefit of a new, energy efficient AC that"s still running through a 30 year old furnace

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Actually, you likely would get the majority of the benefit. All there is in the furnace is a DX coil that cools the air blown through it. All the energy consumption and efficiency gains are to be had in the condensing unit outside.

Agreed on replacing them both at the same time though. And that furnace is pretty ancient. I don"t know what the climate is like there, so maybe it doesn"t see much use and therefore you"re not spending a lot on gas and therefore won"t save much, but it"s worth thinking about.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Seems everyone is buying giants homes compared to what the wife and I are looking for . We"ve mostly been looking at 1k-1.5k sq/ft. Looked at two 2k+, but both times we were like, eh, what would we use the extra rooms for? /shrug Went to look at two more properties today. One we were super excited about. Had some additional structures on the property that we really liked. Yesterday it was available, today our agent called theirs while we were there and... it"s back in escrow. WTF! We have the worst luck. Really jealous of you guys that have closed. Congratulations all around!