Home buying thread

Sharmai_foh

shitlord
Ok if you have your home built by some unestablished homeless guy out of the back of his truck then you deserve to get screwed. If you have your home built by any number of major US companies then no you do not have to worry about shoddy workmanship because the CEO going out of town isn"t going to make a bit of difference.

I shouldn"t have to convince you. It"s pretty straightforward. If a company has to come back out and fix your property 15 times over the course of a decade then they are eating into their profits pretty heavily. And if their is one thing that convinces companies to do a decent job it"s the bottom line.

Plus they build these homes off of templates. Yes that means your home isn"t unique like an established 25 yr old home but it also means that the contractors building it are already familiar with it and that it"s floorplan has already been tested somewhere else.

FYI I have been in our Newly built house since 2006 and to date the only thing that has gone wrong was the dishwasher went out. Which they fixed.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Sharmai said:
Ok if you have your home built by some unestablished homeless guy out of the back of his truck then you deserve to get screwed. If you have your home built by any number of major US companies then no you do not have to worry about shoddy workmanship because the CEO going out of town isn"t going to make a bit of difference.
You"re right bro, no one"s ever gotten screwed over by a builder subcontracting out idiots.

What the fuck was I thinking?

Sharmai_foh

shitlord
I don"t know what you were thinking but it definitely didn"t include W-A-R-R-A-N-T-Y.

But let me know what happens to those idiots when they have to come out and rebuild your house from scratch because of those idiots.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I don"t know what you"re thinking either, but it sure has nothing to do with the fact that the problem is big enough that a guy doing a fucking TV show has more than enough business to pretty much only take care of problems like I said, and has even moved on to doing inspections because there"s lazy shits doing those too. A year warranty doesn"t mean shit when poor construction may take a year or 2 to start showing itself to the outside world.

Keep telling yourself that everyone in the world is an upstanding, hard working citizen who owns up to all of their mistakes, and so are the companies they work for. I"m sure everyone on the show living in brand new fucking houses that the builders have skated on or gave them the run around on problems until their "warranty" was up are all just overstating the problem for dramatic effect, to say nothing of the people this guy just can"t fucking get to. I"m also sure that he rips up half the fucking house every show because everything from flooring to electrical to insulation to drainage is all done wrong by every contractor that walked in the front door is also just done because he"s bored and needs the work. What a world you live in.

Sharmai_foh

shitlord
You want to know what one of the best parts of building a new home is? Taking pictures as they build each stage. Me and the wife really had a lot of fun doing that.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Closed today

Bought a foreclosure: payment, insurance, and taxes $400 a month.

Sho is a piece of shit though, luckily i have the tools.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Picasso said:
Closed today

Bought a foreclosure: payment, insurance, and taxes $400 a month.

Sho is a piece of shit though, luckily i have the tools.
:brofist

As it happens, I closed today too. My payment is a little more. But it"s beeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuutiful

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Just put (2) offers on houses last week. Both accepted the amount. I wound up passing on what I thought was the best deal overall because I could see it was going to be a PITA the whole way.

Old man died and left house and land to his son. Son worked at a University and wasn"t married and no kids. Son died shortly after and left house to the school. They accepted my offer moneywise and had conveyance of mineral rights but I found a deed for the timber rights on the property that belonged to the original owners sister and they had no interest in researching it or clearing it up. I knew dealing with a person at a school that had no vested interest in selling the house was going to be a pain so I passed.

Wound up going ahead with the other house on 2.5 acres - so much smaller property. I had an inspection done which is almost always a waste of money but I had it done (it"s been my experience over the last 3-4 houses I"ve bought and sold that it"s 50/50 that they will actually catch anything). Then I went in and did my own inspection to see what the house really needed. The house belongs to a company of the person who lives there and got transferred and they want it off the books as soon as the people find a new house.

It needs modernizing (built 1982) but the upside is pretty good, 2500 sq. ft. on 2.5 acres in a country club type subidivision across from the golf course and this is the one lot that has a drive opening to another road entirely and not into the subdivison and no restrictions on how big I can build my shop.

I"ll probably live there a few years and turn around and sell it.

And as aside on the inspections when I sold my house in the spring a couple looked at it and passed. I ran into them later and they bought another house for around $150k and told me right after they moved in it needed $75k in repairs to the ceiling joist and rafters (basically everything would have to redone from the top wall plate up). Same guy who did their inspection did the inspection on the house I sold for the couple buying it. I can see why he missed so much. Fat ass couldn"t hardly make it up the stairs and told me he was too fat to look under the house. Couple said he came highly recommended by the bank lol.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Borzak said:
I"ll probably live there a few years and turn around and sell it
Yeah, sounds like a solid plan that"s worked out pretty well for everyone up until now.

Chaotic_foh

shitlord
What is the real prognosis you guys think in terms of how the market will play out over next few years (1-2)

I basically have almost 30k to put down now, no debt whatsoever, a very healthy monthly income (4k+ after tax) no bills to speak of outside of cell phone and car insurance, and am actively looking.

I research as much as I can, but any and every news site I read seems like it caters to business and is ridiculously biased. All indicators seem to point that prices will continue to decline, but every article is like "house sales up 2.9% despite negative predictions!" fine print; (when seasonally adjusted and in x market based on x factors which are not relevant to the market as a whole) i"m looking at you cnn, msnbc, and every other media outlet that does real estate news. I get it, real estate agents pay for advertising.

Then, experts seem to disagree basically because there are numerous factors that have never before occured going on right now.

I"m just wondering what you guys feel 1) Will happen with interest rates and 2) Prices themselves.

Even a 5% drop in the market here (305k average house) is huge, 16k over the course of a year makes it very much worth waiting. I"ve read even as high as 12%, and i"ve read that prices will rise. I have no idea.

Unidin_foh

shitlord
Rates are historically low right now. Even if prices drop another 5-10%, if the interest rate goes up 1-2%, your buying power will be the same.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
News last week was saying with the glut of pending foreclosures, could take till 2015 or 2016 to sell through them all, which means the prices should keep going down.

However, if we keep playing shenanigans with the debt ceiling, say goodbye to your sub 5% interest rate.

Fawy_foh

shitlord
I would be less worried about the timing right now and just start looking for a home you want & feel is a good deal.

You already missed the huge free money rebates for new home buyers (at least I believe they are done? Maybe not...), and around here interest rates have already gone up from the lows of less than a year ago.

Find stuff you like and start offering 15-20% below their asking price, see what happens...

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I got a smoking deal on my new crib, with a 3.6% interest rate. 3.6% is LOL free money low. Even if prices fall a little bit after I bought (which they might) the price on my house already dropped ~20% from the 2008 peak, and homes in the area priced like mine are always selling very quickly. I"m not saying it"s a floor but prices haven"t fallen in my target zip code much if at all since mid 2010; the listings that were over-listed have finally come down to earth and the ones priced right from the start are selling fast. There was one I was watching that got under contract before we could even get a showing scheduled (~2 days).

I"d tell you as always, real estate is local, not national - get familiar with your target market and you"ll have a better idea what is going on in that market than some national trend.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
TheCutlery said:
Yeah, sounds like a solid plan that"s worked out pretty well for everyone up until now.
I am no guru and only point out what was worked for me in the past including after the real estate bust. I only buy houses that I personally want to live in and could long term if things really went bust. I would say 95% of this wouldn"t work in any metro area and or anywhere on either coast. I am not a flipper. I look at it as I want to buy a house but don"t want to pay full retail of a house because I am willing and able to do a LOT of the work myself and would rather do that than pay someone else to do it. Plus I"m not a big fan of the way homes are built and finished nowdays and like my "quality" over most that I have seen for sale. Most people who work 40 hours or more a week wouldn" thave the time to do most of the work I do on a house. Another bonus I have is that because of my work if I couldn"t sell my house it wouldn"t have any bearing on me much at all. I just moved 300+ miles and kept the same shop opened.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read:
You have to pick the right house and live in the right area. Our market hasn"t been hit anywhere as hard as the rest of the country. I missed out on several houses because I didn"t make an offer in the first 24 hours. Paying cash also has it"s bonuses because people are in a hurry to get out of a house or out from under it. If you can offer cash and have an inspection done and a survey within 48 hours of them accepting the offer you can close in under 2 weeks with connections and that appeals to a lot of people, even if you are paying less. Also the bonus of cash is even if you sell at a later date for a loss you are able to sell. I see some homes that are dropped a tiny amonth monthly and they tell me that"s because their payoff went down that tiny amount each month. I couldn"t live like that. Turnover on houses here is real low unlike a lot of metro areas as well and that helps a lot. If you are interested in a certain part of town or a rural area you might have to wait months for a house to go up for sale in that area. Where I am renting now the lady who has my rent house (an agent) said she gets calls daily asking what has come up for sale in our area because it"s popular.

I just sold my last house in April for 20% more than I paid for it in 2008 right before the bust because I chose the right house. Plus it helps when there aren"t 10,000 foreclosed homes on the market here. The few that do go on the market that are foreclosed most of them are in shit shape and will stay on the market forever because apparantly people don"t believe in maintance anymore. I bought it and it wasn"t even for sale at the time. I talked to some people who knew someone who was thinking about selling their house but wasn"t sure it would sell because it needed some minor work. I called and went by and paid cash for it and they were happy and I was happy.

Also the downfall of a lot of flippers (I"m not a flipper - I buy a house I want to live in and like doing the work and if it sells for more when I get ready to move then good) was they never took any profit. They poured everything from one house into the next until the house of cards fell. I could afford a house that cost probably close to 10x what this one cost (housing is cheap here compared to the rest of the country - this house is in a country club on a gulf course on 2.5 acres and it is selling for $150k and could probably be turned around in a month for $225k with updating) but no way I would tie myself into that much in one basket. Right now here locally I think there are several bargains if you can live in a house that doesn"t have granite countertops, new appliances etc...and have the ability to do those things yourself at cost without hiring someone to do it. People getting loans on houses nowdays won"t have the credit or cash after buying a home to do those improvements. If you can do themself yourself cheaply and have the means to pay for them there "can" be a payoff. Any house that has been for sale for a month normally means it"s going to stay for sale for a long time - for a reason.

Another thing in my favor is I do 99.9% of my labor myself. Prior to the house I bought in 2008 becuase I was in a hurry I built my last two homes and my parents house. That doesn"t mean general contractor, that means built. I did everything minus the slab pour and the shingling.

One thing I"ve done for every house I"ve owned is built a shop. Around here you pretty much can"t hardly sell a house on acreage without a shop of at least 24"x36" for peoples hobbies, work, or storage for multiple boats etc...Since I do steel fabrication and erection for a living I do that at about 50% cost of what someone would pay to have it done. So right there I can add about $20-$40k worht of value to a home quickly and cheaply. Plus I have to do it because I have to have a place to put my tools/equpment.

Anything is possible and anyone can loose money. But at least it"s paid for and I will have had the use of it if I need to cut my losses and get out unlike a lot of people. If I truly got stuck with it I could either live there or if I had to totally write it off at zero I could walk away from it (not likely).

Lastly - here almost all houses (even in "town") are eligible for rural development loans. Which means you can buy the house at a great rate and put down only 5% - 7.5% for a down payment and not have to pay PMI. That"s a huge bonus when you are trying to sell a house. You don"t need people who need 20% cash to buy the house.

As an example. One house I looked at in perfect shape would easily sell for about $250k. Around here that"s a nice house and this one was and on about 10 acres. However when it was foreclosed on they stole the condensor/compressor for the A/C unit outside and some minor stuff like light fixtures inside the house. They listed the house at $150k and I talked to the listing agent who said she had tons of interest, but here was the rub. People could get a loan for $200k, but if they got a loan for the house at $150k they didn"t have the money to fix the AC and other stuff (I figured between $10k and $12k). They used to offer loans that you could get to improve a home and it would include the price of the house and XX amount for repairs. Apparently they have really clamped down on those and are impossible to get. I passed because I didn"t want to live where it was. I asked about it a month later and someone had paid cash for it at $150k, spent the $10k to fix it and had it up for sale at $215k and she said they alread had an offer at $200k. All under a month from when it was put up for sale the first time. Which is why you have to make an offer around here on these types of houses very quicky and have someone who can do an inspection/survey in your pocket within 2-3 days or you will loose it to an investor very quickly.

So basically even tho I plan on living there long term I wouldn"t ever buy a house that I don"t think I could work on and improve and sell it for more than I paid for it even if the prices here go down 20% - which they haven"t yet at all.

Getting a great deal on a house from a private seller is going to be tough because they don"t have the room to come down or they will sit on it till they get what they want. Notice the house I"m buying is from a company. I figured they are selling the house at just over what they paid for it 12 years ago for the executive who lived there and the research at the course house agreed with my hunch. To them they want to get rid of it in a reasonable time after they decided to sell it and profit was not the major motivation, but rather to get rid of it and buy another one where they are moving the guy. They know the market is down and price it accordinly to sell fast. Same thing for the house I made an offer own that was gifted to the university. Estates can be a good deal too "if" there aren"t 14 heirs and the heirs that are selling can agree quickly on a price and actually need the money out of the house. If they were more well off than their parents forget it, they"ll sit on the house for years waiting to get full asking price. An heir that got a house and needs the money will sometimes come down a lot very quickly if you dangle cash in front of them.

Lefazz_foh

shitlord
Does anyone here have any experience with HUD foreclosures?

I have my eye on one that"s been sitting for 40+ days with, I"m guessing, no offers. From what I understand, HUD foreclosures require interested parties to bid on the property then the bank chooses which to go with. However, what would keep one from offering a low-ball figure and keep up"ing it slightly until accepted? Normally this probably would not work since there would be multiple bidders -- but for this particular propertly I might would be the only one.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Lefazz said:
Does anyone here have any experience with HUD foreclosures?

I have my eye on one that"s been sitting for 40+ days with, I"m guessing, no offers. From what I understand, HUD foreclosures require interested parties to bid on the property then the bank chooses which to go with. However, what would keep one from offering a low-ball figure and keep up"ing it slightly until accepted? Normally this probably would not work since there would be multiple bidders -- but for this particular propertly I might would be the only one.
As long as you"re the only bidder, nothing would stop you from doing this.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Don"t even fuck with a foreclosure unless you are in a position to not need the property. IE: lease running out, selling your place, etc. The timescales that are associated with foreclosures are not to be underestimated at all. You really need to be prepared to wait and to walk away from one if necessary because you may get no communication at all for weeks, if not months.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
TheCutlery said:
Don"t even fuck with a foreclosure unless you are in a position to not need the property. IE: lease running out, selling your place, etc. The timescales that are associated with foreclosures are not to be underestimated at all. You really need to be prepared to wait and to walk away from one if necessary because you may get no communication at all for weeks, if not months.
My experience has been the reverse, foreclosures (REO"s) the banks respond immediately. I had a counter offer in hand 3 hours after submitting an offer on one REO I was looking at. They wanted too much, but they were pretty communicative. Short sales, on the other hand, are exactly how you describe. Maybe that"s what you meant?

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Nope. Bought a foreclosure, bid on a foreclosure before that, and everyone know personally who"s done the same has had the same experiences.

With a short sale, you at least get the owner"s sign off on it as communication before you wait for the bank, and have kind of an intermediary you can talk to. With the bank, it"s nothing but silence, or at least was 2 years ago when I bought.