Home Improvement

Siliconemelons

squirrels are going 2 watch u shower thru the window bro..

hope I can post my finished shower soon... the small detail finishing work is killing me >_<

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I know...stupid houses from the 60s with windows in their bathrooms instead of vent fans. We had to get the a vent fan installed with this remodel. I would have liked to just board up the window and be done with it but we have vinyl siding on the house and its probably ~20 years old, we'd never find a match to patch up the window hole. We would have had to re-side the entire back side of our house.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I Feel your pain about the time, a client of ours, as a favor is redoing my deck(ie cost of material only he is not being paid a cent), going on 90 days now and not finished yet.

should be this week, though (illness and car dying is latest delays- he does have a 2.5hr drive to get to my residence) has the stairs to finish, the rail for said stairs, one section of deck rail & balusters....

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Bathroom is finally done. Took our contractor almost 4 full weeks(2 days shy of it). My god he was slow. That's what I get for hiring a 60 year old dude I guess. At least he did good work when he was actually working...

I often go with Oldtimers over young bucks knowing they are gonna be way slower. Kids give no fucks, they are there to get in, get out and get a check. Greybeards have seen a lot of shitty work that went wrong a year or two down the line and don't want the bad rep and the call back. Also materials and building techniques get cheaper and lower quality every year. You can't find a young kid who can frame all day without a Nail gun, Old timers will still swing a hammer and use real galvy nails. The difference in the quality is 10 yrs vs. 50. You can find kids to sheetrock and blow texture all day long, you need to find an old fuck if you want Imperial Plaster.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Bathroom is finally done. Took our contractor almost 4 full weeks(2 days shy of it). My god he was slow. That's what I get for hiring a 60 year old dude I guess. At least he did good work when he was actually working...

I should have taken some "before" pictures. Bathroom was straight out of the 70s. Avacado green tiles in the shower, a yellow/gold tile on the floor and same on the vanity counter top. It was hideous.

old timer work looks legit as fuck, tho

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Finally made some progress on my Kid's Tree House. Bought all the wood in April then work got busy and well, hello Labor Day. Assuming I can make it to the store this week to buy the decking I should be able to finish it up next weekend.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
My deck mostly finished, did the lights today...let's see if this works..took about 2-3 hrs overall

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
That looks pretty cool, does it double as a bug zapper?

Regarding that bathroom, looks nice with the old timer work! I had a townhouse for a couple years that had an almost identical layout, and no ceiling fan for the shower. Being in Colorado + that, it was not uncommon to get snowed on while taking a shower. Was fun talking to the neighbors now and then if they were on their porch though

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
No for the bug zapper. Mostly I did it for ambient light the light on the deck sucked and I thought what the heck, will mostly use it via the steady single color mode.

Prices if interested in doing:
32 feet rgbw waterproof led strips -25
Wall control switch -20
80 watt weatherproof power supply (12v) -20
50 ft rgbw wire -5
Clips for rail -5
Waterproof electric box-5
Weatherproof cover (switch not Weatherproof ) 10

Caliane

lol. oh god was not expecting the strip club.

I put some simple post solar lights on my deck. Mostly successful.
Pro-subtle lighting in the dark. looks nice. provides light to stairwell, which is in the dark, even with powered lights on. con-both not bright enough by themselves to light anything beyond, dont trip. and at the same time, too bright=light pollution.

Kindof the same for the front yard. the pro and con of having a street light directly out front.
Pro- driveway/mailbox, etc is never in the dark. Safer for pedestrians. always know if power is out. con. light pollution when I WANT dark.

Caliane

I know...stupid houses from the 60s with windows in their bathrooms instead of vent fans. We had to get the a vent fan installed with this remodel. I would have liked to just board up the window and be done with it but we have vinyl siding on the house and its probably ~20 years old, we'd never find a match to patch up the window hole. We would have had to re-side the entire back side of our house.
cover the mismatch/hole with shudders, which are closed perminately.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
its shutter :p

different areas, differernt styles of bathroom venting. in the boston area where i work, pretty much Every single bathroom in the new buildings we have laid out, unless the bathroom is not on an outside wall, the bathroom will have a window & a vent.

and for my deck, my wife thinks it's cool, so that is all that matters, iit is not that bright since it was raining and the light is reflecting off of the water to increase brightness. besides it all points down so minimal light pollution. i'm in a freaking white zone, so i see jack for stars via naked eye- if need be i could turn the led's red to not affect night vision.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Kitchen update. Rough electric inspection failed today. Electrician didn't set some of the wiring deep enough into the studs, so the kickplate was compressing them. The inspector was kind of a dick, to be honest. I feel like he's one of those dudes who fails everyone just to remind you why the process is there. Electrician came by earlier tonight and adjusted all of the wiring. Rescheduled inspection for Friday.

Assuming it passes, it's the last thing before I can start full bore. Going to do drywall, patching and priming this weekend.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I think my first project is to get some sprinklers down for my grass, I do not look forward to that.

I have to get a permit and a second water meter.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Rough electric passed. All drywall and mudding done last weekend/week. Primed and painted today and cut all the mounting rails for the Ikea cabinets. Whoever did the drywall work on the kitchen before me was fucking terrible. All the new and patched drywall I did looks very good. Not perfect, but good. Some other areas where I simply primed/painted over the old paint look like shit now, as I went from a flat paint to a satin. The shitty mud work is quite obvious in those spots and I'll likely have to come up with some creative ways of hiding it.

Will put the rails up tomorrow and work on the cabinets over the new few days. Hope to have all the cabinets in by next Friday, so I can do the flooring next weekend.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Rough electric passed. All drywall and mudding done last weekend/week. Primed and painted today and cut all the mounting rails for the Ikea cabinets. Whoever did the drywall work on the kitchen before me was fucking terrible. All the new and patched drywall I did looks very good. Not perfect, but good. Some other areas where I simply primed/painted over the old paint look like shit now, as I went from a flat paint to a satin. The shitty mud work is quite obvious in those spots and I'll likely have to come up with some creative ways of hiding it.

Will put the rails up tomorrow and work on the cabinets over the new few days. Hope to have all the cabinets in by next Friday, so I can do the flooring next weekend.

You can buy a big pan and a wide knife 14+ in. thin down your mud till it barely holds on the blade and skim out whole walls corner to corner to float over someone elses shit mud job. Hot Mud is excellent for that. Trick is to load the entire wall evenly and quickly, and then pull it all tight one time.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I'll likely mud over the smaller soffit and repaint. Here's a pic of the upper cabinets finished. The soffit above it is not even remotely level(the cabinets are), so I have some molding I'm going to run above the cabinets to cover that slanted gap. Working on lower cabinets this week and then flooring on the weekend.

UUtZ0qT.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users