Home Improvement

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ha! I got that once too. I can't remember what I was buying, but I'm like, "Do you actually want me cutting this shit with a hand saw here?" Seems like the liability on that wouldn't make it worthwhile.

I also mentioned before that we just had new counters put in. I had bought the faucets myself, and they had serious issues getting them installed. They had to go to Home Depot to buy a similar model which they scrapped for parts...and then returned the same day, sans parts. I heard the guy who bought it talking to the owner (of the construction company) about how Home Depot wouldn't be checking for the parts anyway.

And all I could think is some poor asshole is going to buy that thing missing some parts and get super pissed.

More on topic, how difficult is/was it to replace a cartridge and the full assembly for a shower handle? Both bathrooms in my house had cartridges that were put in upside-down (ends up making the hot and cold backwards), and the guest one is so fucking old that it's almost impossible to rotate. I'll probably want to replace both within a few months.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Ha! I got that once too. I can't remember what I was buying, but I'm like, "Do you actually want me cutting this shit with a hand saw here?" Seems like the liability on that wouldn't make it worthwhile.

I also mentioned before that we just had new counters put in. I had bought the faucets myself, and they had serious issues getting them installed. They had to go to Home Depot to buy a similar model which they scrapped for parts...and then returned the same day, sans parts. I heard the guy who bought it talking to the owner (of the construction company) about how Home Depot wouldn't be checking for the parts anyway.

And all I could think is some poor asshole is going to buy that thing missing some parts and get super pissed.

More on topic, how difficult is/was it to replace a cartridge and the full assembly for a shower handle? Both bathrooms in my house had cartridges that were put in upside-down (ends up making the hot and cold backwards), and the guest one is so fucking old that it's almost impossible to rotate. I'll probably want to replace both within a few months.

Was super easy with the tool. Maybe 20 mins. Only hiccup was way more water poured out of the valve then I thought it would(even with the water to the house shutoff) and I went into panic mode as some of it was getting behind the drywall/tile. I jammed the plaster wrapper the tool came in to funnel it away and all was well.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Gravel Gravel your cartridges can't be "put in backwards" they come from the factory. Your water lines have to be crossed or the handle is on upside down.

Unless you replaced them before and are retarded. I just assumed you weren't retarded.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So several woodpeckers have decided to fuck shit up at my house. What's the best way to be rid of them and fix the holes?

I flushed their eggs out already.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So several woodpeckers have decided to fuck shit up at my house. What's the best way to be rid of them and fix the holes?

Doesn't wood peckers mean you probably have termites?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Gravel Gravel your cartridges can't be "put in backwards" they come from the factory. Your water lines have to be crossed or the handle is on upside down.

Unless you replaced them before and are retarded. I just assumed you weren't retarded.

You can put the hot in the cold and vice versa on the older two handle systems because they turn a specific way. It obviously won't affect the water just the turn direction

Drakain

Trakanon Raider

Windows
Smear a cayenne pepper paste in the holes they started. Or a BB gun.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

I have a friend who fills the holes made with the spray foam insulation. It bulges out, and he cuts it back and paints it later, but the birds never go back to the same place. He recently did a complete paint job on his cedar siding, and that seemed to help. He also smothered pine cones in cheese to attract the woodpeckers and sprinkled it with cayenne pepper. He put the pine cones in the high traffic areas; one taste of the cayenne pepper and the woodpeckers seemed to be convinced to relocate.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Doesn't wood peckers mean you probably have termites?

They are only making nests in the posts that hold up the patio area. Which are those high pressure, chemical board shit I forget the name of. Unlikely termites live in that shit. Looking over the posts, I've noticed that the previous owner did the foam thing. I'll do the foam thing + cayenne pepper. Little fuckers.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

I actually have no idea what I'm talking about, but I swear I Googled it when we first moved in and read something about them being put in upside-down. On 2nd Google just now, I'm not sure that it's the cartridge but maybe the mixing valve?

All I know for sure is that the handle only goes on one way, and as they are now, when you first turn the water on it's super hot and if you turn it all the way on, it's super cold (so, backwards).

Reversed hot and cold shower NOT a delta - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Siliconemelons

Anyone done a home addition themselves - in the up and up - dealt with permits etc? I do not mind being legal but sometimes the permit shit is written and made into so many hoops its made to "keep the little man down" and only let contractors etc. be the ones to do anything.

Generalized construction estimates per sq ft are stupid in my area.

Basically if I do anything to my house it is going to need some "guts" redone - wiring box and new wires, new AC uppage as current load is really max for my sq ft and a florida home - roof is good and no issues or poor wear etc - but too old to "keep" if anything edits its footprint, they will want to reroof the entire thing...

The kids side of the house (3 of the 4 beds and 1 of 2 bathrooms) is fine - the master and its bathroom are on the complete other side - I am prepping for when my girls get to be tweens and teens and I will want to be secluded in my wing of the house and let the 3 bleeders run freely in their side of the world.

I made 2 shitty pics - but I want to make an addition to the front of the house that would expand the master to have a sitting/living room and study / library - I have had the idea to make it circular and make it akin to a castle / hamlet with stone outside and then redo the entire outer facad with the stone around.

everything that I estimate puts this at 75-125k for like 300ish sqft - I could do 75% of it myself for estimated 10-15k in supplies (so 25k in reality) and then I figure another 25k in contracted work - new 4-5 tonne AC and ductwork expansion - roofing needs - electrical - plumbing - I would keep the master bath where it is for the in-foundation drains and runs , so I could pivot the shower and toilet and expand the bathroom - but not completely move it - cost savings mostly.

for 75k - 125k I can sell the damn house and buy one 1k more sq ft - thought building was to save you money and add "real" value >_< this may jump my property value - but it would quickly outpace the market price for the area and would effectively underwater me.

hosuelayout1.png

hosuelayout2.png

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Anyone done a home addition themselves - in the up and up - dealt with permits etc?
I have done a ton of that as a kid on our house but not once did we ever do it with a permit. Waste of money. We lived out in nowhere though.

I will tell you this about your pictures. You are messing with a load bearing corner. You are not going to like doing it.

Siliconemelons

Yeah, if I was out in a more rual area I would just do whatever I want without permits - heck a guy I know (owns a very successful AC business) did tons of stuff without permits too his house, 2 rooms and a covered parking enclosure - but he finally had to get EVERYTHING up to code and permitted because he did a 2nd floor - all the others were outback and out of sight from the city inspectors that drive around- yup they have people in little trucks that do nothing but drive around looking for people doing work.

I would almost make the addition - circle or square lol - I just think it would be a cool facade for the outside - do 1/3 bottom all around the entire house in real stone - and re texture the rest of the stucco above. I would make it a portal, or more so maybe french doors between the current outside wall and the new - not open up the entire thing - its a cinderblock house. on that side of the house the roof joists are running from the front of the house to the back, the side of the garage it is from side to side.... that also relocates my garage door from the inner side that the curved drive feeds into - into the front.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Got one that I'm not quite sure of the answer to.

With recessed lighting, does the housing need to be wet rated, or just the bulb? It seems like housings don't have a wet rating, and most of what I've found says, "make sure the trim is wet rated."

I used some when I did my gym install that I really liked, and the bulbs I used are wet rated. But I can't find anything on Amazon that specifically mentions wet/damp rating on the housing.

We've currently got soffits in both bathrooms with shitty fluorescent bulbs. I had been looking for wall mounted lights that would look good, but then doing some searching it seems like almost everyone is using recessed lights nowadays. So I figure I'll just take out the entire soffit and put in some can lights, and also probably replace the shower ones too. I just need to figure out the best positioning for flattering lighting (sounds like maybe directly above the mirror is bad?). If anyone has a good link that explains the best positioning of vanity lighting, that'd be awesome.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>