Home Improvement

Oldbased

> Than U
aren't like hanging mirrors and paintings the first things a thief tosses going into a room, looking for a safe?
Paintings for sure. Mirrors if made to look purposeful I wouldn't think so if you go big. which is why at least 30 inches tall. The longer the better. The thick trim is to help conceal the offset from wall. I'll have to grab a picture next time I'm at a house where I did one.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Paintings for sure. Mirrors if made to look purposeful I wouldn't think so if you go big. which is why at least 30 inches tall. The longer the better. The thick trim is to help conceal the offset from wall. I'll have to grab a picture next time I'm at a house where I did one.
actually how about i mount it in the utility closet behind a pegboard that is holding mops, thats like totally common right?
7oh8a8f.gif

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
smoke detectors .

A week late, but I replaced all my detectors with nest ones. They are $100 a piece but I like that they alert you via app to phone if they ever go off or have issue. My parents lost their house to a fire last year and this one feature would have prevented it.

If you have Nest thermostat it will also immediately shut off your Hvac system if there is an alarm which could both save Loss from smoke damage or save your life

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
A week late, but I replaced all my detectors with nest ones. They are $100 a piece but I like that they alert you via app to phone if they ever go off or have issue. My parents lost their house to a fire last year and this one feature would have prevented it.

If you have Nest thermostat it will also immediately shut off your Hvac system if there is an alarm which could both save Loss from smoke damage or save your life

Been thinking myself of going for the Nest trio of thermostats. The Ecobee 4 has a great review, but feel the ecosystem of Nest will outweigh them in the end. I thought it was very interesting that they included the ability to shut off the HVAC. Surprised this hasn't been included before with all hard-wired systems.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
One of the places at which I work uses thermostats by Emmerson that connect over a network called "Sensi." They've been amazingly reliable, and accessible from anywhere. I think I'm going with one of these, as they're only about $100. I don't know that the Nest has enough benefits to justify the cost.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Have 2 sensi. The only thing that bothers me is theyll kick on aux heat if the heat pump takes too long to get to temp and i can't seem to be able to get it to stop.

Overall I'm pretty pleased though.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I'm a complete noob with home stuff. The majority of the back yard of our town home (except flower beds) is an medium sized stone (stones are about 0.5 to 1in in size) patio thats epoxied together. At the back door the layer of stone is about 6in thick and tapers to about 4 (3.5in).

It's great since it is slightly sloped and drains from gutters run under it. Never have to worry about water or anything out back during heavy rain. It sucks because it is uncomfortable as hell to walk on so we never use the space. The dog even refuses to go out there.

That being said it is going to be a complete fucking pain to remove. Tested out a tiny area using a chisel, sledgehammer and a demo bar(?) which was rough. Also don't know if I should even remove it since it was done by hje previous owner who is a horticulturist for Mt. Vernon, so all landscaping he did with expert knowledge.

Anyone know of a simpler way to remove it outside of smashing away, or know of possible ways to put some other type of paver or something on top of it? Assume I can't do grass over it?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Yeah, it'd turn into small pieces pretty quick I'm guessing. And while the drainage is nice, why keep a yard as it is if you end up never using it? Makes it dead space.

But I'm curious what it looks like. Post a picture?

20170521_131310.jpg

This is it. Covers an area that's about 20'×15-'

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Mercy, is that ever ugly. Sorry. Yeah, I can see that would be hard to walk on. Jack hammer should do it. It won't be a simple task, but with a jackhammer a Saturday's good work would do it (provided you had a place to put it like a dumpster or something).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Mercy, is that ever ugly. Sorry. Yeah, I can see that would be hard to walk on. Jack hammer should do it. It won't be a simple task, but with a jackhammer a Saturday's good work would do it (provided you had a place to put it like a dumpster or something).
Will have to borrow my friends truck and haul it to a dump. Really wish I would just put something on top

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Will have to borrow my friends truck and haul it to a dump. Really wish I would just put something on top

How much below your door threshold is it? Do you step down to it? Might be possible to cover it with cement just a couple inches thick...Or perhaps get just enough sand on it to make a smooth surface and put patio stones?