Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You could definitely go a lot cheaper than that as well since self propelled is sort of a waste in my opinion - these things are so light there's no point. This would put you at nearly half that price:
no he needs self propelled, his backyard has a steep decline

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Araysar Araysar BTFO

Are You Stupid Antoine Dodson GIF

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Lanx Lanx Only update is that I have to take it for its manufacturer’s warranty. There’s a single place within 60miles to take it, and it’s literally some dudes house with a garage out back in true WV fashion. Guy has great reviews though, lol. In the meantime I’ve been using the whacker to trim up the unruly parts until the mower’s fixed. Still like the mower, though.

Yard looks like shit for now. :( Haven’t even touched the back yet.

IMG_6556.jpeg

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I see a mower in the background, ask your neighbor to mow your lawn. Bake him some cookies or something like that.

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx Only update is that I have to take it for its manufacturer’s warranty. There’s a single place within 60miles to take it, and it’s literally some dudes house with a garage out back in true WV fashion. Guy has great reviews though, lol. In the meantime I’ve been using the whacker to trim up the unruly parts until the mower’s fixed. Still like the mower, though.

View attachment 470879
so the mowers busted, not the batteries?

eh lawn looks fine, just a few bald spots, better than the neighbor across the st

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I see a mower in the background, ask your neighbor to mow your lawn. Bake him some cookies or something like that.

That one belongs to the mystery lady across the street. I see her kids all the time but almost never her. Dude next to her mowed our lawn during the month between closing and us moving, which was nice. Got him a little basket of food for it after. Haven’t talked in a while though. Don’t like imposing like that.

so the mowers busted, not the batteries?

eh lawn looks fine, just a few bald spots, better than the neighbor across the st

Yeah just the mower. All the batteries have worked fine in my trimmer and blower. I’m tempted to also buy an edger for the sidewalk area but not sure if it’s worth it.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
My wife bought a $600 Ryobi push lawnmower yesterday which I wasn't too happy about. She also got a Ryobi edge trimmer for $200, so altogether it was over $800 to mow grass.

This is the one she got from Amazon

2 questions.

1. Are these electric lawnmowers by Ryobi generally good or shit? Are electric lawnmowers generally worse or better compared to the gas powered ones?

2. Do these ever go on sale during Ryobi days (which I think are coming up in 2-3 weeks)? I looked through some Home Depot flyers from 2022 and 2021 and it looks like most of lawncare equipment goes on sale except lawnmowers, but I could be wrong.

All my stuff is Ryobi so I'm already in their battery "ecosystem".

I'm mildly salty about paying almost a grand for lawncare equipment that will make me do an additional 2-3 hours of yardwork every other week so I'm trying to figure out whether to make her return this shit. Right now I just pay a guy $50 every 2-3 weeks to come out and mow my 0.25 acres of grass.
I picked up one last spring off CL for $150 with a battery, it's been a nice reliable mower for all of last year and the one mow I have done this year. Liked it enough I spent the $200 for retail of the string trimmer to go with it. I use around a battery charge for the front yard, and one for the back yard. But this is Texas and I have a decent sized yard.

View attachment 470879
OTOH, I did notice one peculiarity of mine, which might be relevant here. When you fold the handle up into the operational position you'll notice on one side it goes over and depresses a little button on the side of the bracket. That's a safety to make sure the handle is fully up and engaged before allowing the mower to power up. Mine wasn't pushing that all the way down at first, and it caused it to go a little then power off, or not to power on at all. A tiny bit of tinkering to tighten up that button and make sure it was fully depressed and POOF, easy peasy! No more stalling/not turning on... Pic of button :
1682641655199.png

The way I tested it before screwing around with the bracket was that I put a piece of cardboard between the handle and the button to make sure it was "extra pushed in" and suddenly everything worked.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I picked up one last spring off CL for $150 with a battery, it's been a nice reliable mower for all of last year and the one mow I have done this year. Liked it enough I spent the $200 for retail of the string trimmer to go with it. I use around a battery charge for the front yard, and one for the back yard. But this is Texas and I have a decent sized yard.

OTOH, I did notice one peculiarity of mine, which might be relevant here. When you fold the handle up into the operational position you'll notice on one side it goes over and depresses a little button on the side of the bracket. That's a safety to make sure the handle is fully up and engaged before allowing the mower to power up. Mine wasn't pushing that all the way down at first, and it caused it to go a little then power off, or not to power on at all. A tiny bit of tinkering to tighten up that button and make sure it was fully depressed and POOF, easy peasy! No more stalling/not turning on... Pic of button :
View attachment 470949
The way I tested it before screwing around with the bracket was that I put a piece of cardboard between the handle and the button to make sure it was "extra pushed in" and suddenly everything worked.
most ppl who have that problem just remove that button/switch and splice the two wire together

it's not really that "useful" of a safety switch and is more annoying that anything if you make a hard turn, i guess it turns it off (my model of ryobi is different, haven't seen that issue yet)

Haus

<Silver Donator>
most ppl who have that problem just remove that button/switch and splice the two wire together

it's not really that "useful" of a safety switch and is more annoying that anything if you make a hard turn, i guess it turns it off (my model of ryobi is different, haven't seen that issue yet)
I almost did that, but then realized I just had to SLIGHTLY bend the plate it was on to make it press further. If it starts flaking out again though yeah, it's a snip and wire nut away from a fix. heh

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I almost did that, but then realized I just had to SLIGHTLY bend the plate it was on to make it press further. If it starts flaking out again though yeah, it's a snip and wire nut away from a fix. heh
yea all electric mowers have these stupid safety switches and relays cuz of kids

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I've grown to enjoy the yard work. Getting out the mower, putting some headphones on, getting some sun for an hour or two. I'm not quitting my day job and opening a landscaping business or yard mowing service. It is hot, irritates my allergies, costs time, money, all those other things. But I like it.

Leaves, I can take it or leave it (hah!). The raking and blowing I enjoy, the bagging I don't. The fact my house is in a position for every leaf in the neighborhood to collect in my yard. No matter how much effort goes in to it, it never seems like you make a dent. Back hurts from bagging. Carrying the bags to the curb. Leaves aren't my favorite.

Watering? Fuck watering. I'll invest in an irrigation system soon (tm) b/c getting up and dragging a sprinkler around the yard, two sprinklers around the yard. Timing it, moving it, reeling it out, reeling it in. Just watching my water bill shoot up in to the air and drop down in to the nothing for hours.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I've grown to enjoy the yard work. Getting out the mower, putting some headphones on, getting some sun for an hour or two. I'm not quitting my day job and opening a landscaping business or yard mowing service. It is hot, irritates my allergies, costs time, money, all those other things. But I like it.

Leaves, I can take it or leave it (hah!). The raking and blowing I enjoy, the bagging I don't. The fact my house is in a position for every leaf in the neighborhood to collect in my yard. No matter how much effort goes in to it, it never seems like you make a dent. Back hurts from bagging. Carrying the bags to the curb. Leaves aren't my favorite.

Watering? Fuck watering. I'll invest in an irrigation system soon (tm) b/c getting up and dragging a sprinkler around the yard, two sprinklers around the yard. Timing it, moving it, reeling it out, reeling it in. Just watching my water bill shoot up in to the air and drop down in to the nothing for hours.

Don't pay someone to do your irrigation system. It's not hard. Just do a little research and do it yourself and save thousands of dollars. And if you do it right your water bill won't jump that much. You need way less water than most people think. Run each zone about five minutes, no more. Do it at the right time of day.

• 1RAGE

Burns

Don't pay someone to do your irrigation system. It's not hard. Just do a little research and do it yourself and save thousands of dollars. And if you do it right your water bill won't jump that much. You need way less water than most people think. Run each zone about five minutes, no more. Do it at the right time of day.
Friend that owns a yard business always said you need to run your system once a week, for enough time to where you start to see flooding water run off (usually 20+ min per zone, but it depends on the grass/sod). This means that the ground is saturated and the roots are getting plenty of water. It will keep the lawn green and not cause over watering, which makes the grass grow faster.

His goal was to keep the yard looking good with 1 mow per week. Too much water would make it grow too fast and people would complain about a shaggy yard, but most people will also complain about paying for two mows a week. He does have some customers who are fine with/want it mowed twice a week (big houses on golf courses), so they continually put way too much water on it.

I hate the lawn industry treadmill and wish more people would invest in native grasses that grow slower, don't require treatments, and don't need irrigation.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I'm mildly salty about paying almost a grand for lawncare equipment that will make me do an additional 2-3 hours of yardwork every other week so I'm trying to figure out whether to make her return this shit. Right now I just pay a guy $50 every 2-3 weeks to come out and mow my 0.25 acres of grass.

I'd say send that shit back, depending on how you value your time. If it's taking you 2.5 hours to mow/weedeat, you're paying someone $20/hr (of your time, not his obviously) to do your yardwork - I value my time a lot higher than $20/hr and I'm pretty sure you do as well. I'm also biased (lazy) against mowing because I mowed my parents' 5 acre yard all through middle and high school. Even with a 60" mower, that gets old real fast.

That said, I think you're overpaying. I'm on a little under half an acre and pay a guy $35 to mow/weedeat/blow-off, and that's in Nashville. That's a post-Bidenflation price too, it was $30 last year.

• 1Solidarity