what Suineg set it to
Amateurs

blew.gif

• 3Mother of God
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I just signed up some lower end apartments - Each one is about ~400 sq/ft. Bedroom/full bath/Kitchen with coin laundry in the bottom basement. Im running over the costs that they have had over the last 2 years and I can clean up quite a bit. But there is something thats stand out to me.

The tenants are a revolving door of low income individuals and the old property manager was putting a new door knob on each apartment every time a tenant moved out or was evicted. 24 apartments in total, doorknob for each replaced on average every 3.7 months. So lets just say four times a year between all apartments. 4x24.80 (standard keyed door knob at Lowes w/tax) 99.20x24 coming up to ~2380 each year.

No. Door knobs cannot be recycled. At least not down in the "hood" where these are. Tenant selection is very loose - as one of its only rules is not have an unlawful detainer on your background check within the last 6 months - standard set by landlord.

I looked over what was available at Lowes for touchpad, but I have no experience with that stuff and how reprogrammable it would be. I want something like the picture below, but again, I need to be able to reprogram it myself without needing tools or needing a locksmith each time. Once its all setup, I'll hand it off to someone. But Ive gotta get these expenses way down, as it benefits me as well.

(Keep in mind the tenants are going to be rough as hell on these door knobs, so probably not lever style.)
Honeywell-Electronic-Entry-Lever-Door-Lock-ORB_2748ddb9-8652-49bb-817b-2f7e71469f71_1.c2afafe74e88148d8ddbaca4b0272ffd.jpeg

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I just signed up some lower end apartments - Each one is about ~400 sq/ft. Bedroom/full bath/Kitchen with coin laundry in the bottom basement. Im running over the costs that they have had over the last 2 years and I can clean up quite a bit. But there is something thats stand out to me.

The tenants are a revolving door of low income individuals and the old property manager was putting a new door knob on each apartment every time a tenant moved out or was evicted. 24 apartments in total, doorknob for each replaced on average every 3.7 months. So lets just say four times a year between all apartments. 4x24.80 (standard keyed door knob at Lowes w/tax) 99.20x24 coming up to ~2380 each year.

No. Door knobs cannot be recycled. At least not down in the "hood" where these are. Tenant selection is very loose - as one of its only rules is not have an unlawful detainer on your background check within the last 6 months - standard set by landlord.

I looked over what was available at Lowes for touchpad, but I have no experience with that stuff and how reprogrammable it would be. I want something like the picture below, but again, I need to be able to reprogram it myself without needing tools or needing a locksmith each time. Once its all setup, I'll hand it off to someone. But Ive gotta get these expenses way down, as it benefits me as well.

(Keep in mind the tenants are going to be rough as hell on these door knobs, so probably not lever style.)
Honeywell-Electronic-Entry-Lever-Door-Lock-ORB_2748ddb9-8652-49bb-817b-2f7e71469f71_1.c2afafe74e88148d8ddbaca4b0272ffd.jpeg

You could try Kwikset hardware. You can re-key them in about 10 seconds as long as you have the current key and their little reset tool.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

i too agree w/ C Captain Suave on getting a kwickset digital, the rekey is easy to do

this is for the physical key portion of the digital lock

Kwikset Powerbolt Keyless Electronic Door Lock 5-Button Keypad, With Keyed Entry Deadbolt, Featuring SmartKey Security Re-Key Technology in Satin Nickel
5809215269a9ae184119cad69714476b.png

theyre easier to reprogram, use than schlage here is another video on the digital portion

i've used schlage and august in my previous home, this home came w/ kwikset that i replaced w/ newer schlage digital again and i played around w/ the kwikset here.

the kwikset is easier to use on a factor of 10, especially for a slumlord like yourself. the rekey is amazin, while i have to physically take apart the schlages and repin it (i know how and keep a bin of pins), and the kwikset is easier to use.

i wouldn't personally ever trust kwikset for my home, but these locks are more for slumlording anyway right?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

No idea of the specific models, but I know some airbnb people use locks that can have the combination changed remotely. That might not be appropriate for this situation, but if they need to be changed every couple of months, then it might be work checking into.

• 1Quality Calories

Daidraco

No idea of the specific models, but I know some airbnb people use locks that can have the combination changed remotely. That might not be appropriate for this situation, but if they need to be changed every couple of months, then it might be work checking into.
The more I can do from afar, the better. Ecobee, Nest, and all that shit was a dream come true for controlling HVAC systems from afar and keeping them locked.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
my backyard porch is small (bigger than my prev house, but i had a pergula area)

heres my neighbors porch since we have the same cookie cutter house, lulz
c255461ffcaa7a4582592520bfffc6fe.png

anyway theres only 1 light for the backyard and i guess it's silly i wear a headlamp doing a brisket at night.

what are good options for lights? i'm not opposed to drilling and installing stuff, but i don't think those hanging string bulb lamps look good

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
my backyard porch is small (bigger than my prev house, but i had a pergula area)

heres my neighbors porch since we have the same cookie cutter house, lulz
c255461ffcaa7a4582592520bfffc6fe.png

anyway theres only 1 light for the backyard and i guess it's silly i wear a headlamp doing a brisket at night.

what are good options for lights? i'm not opposed to drilling and installing stuff, but i don't think those hanging string bulb lamps look good

What are you looking for exactly? Lighting the whole deck, lighting the grill area, lighting the yard around the deck?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Over/Under on how many different lights Lanx ends up buying off Amazon?

• 1Worf

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
And as far as a serious response:

I'm a fan of the string lights as well, have been meaning to get some up at least hanging from the eves.
You could also do something on a pole that's more spot/flood light to help with visibility while working your meats. I feel like the string lights wouldn' be enough.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ok i'm actually liking the string lights, every light has a screw, i guess i just have to plan how i want to stagger...,

do ppl put them inside or outside the porch railing? i'm thinking inside cuz wtf do i care about the outside for? (except the areas where i'll put my grills)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so i also got this cultivator
1d9cb13a9bac3402fbeba36a5d2153f6.png

i did not feel the need to get the bigger ones, and i knew i wanted to just get an attachment for my robi 40v anyway.

so i was breaking up my compost pile and i just kept on hitting roots and roots, so i'm guessing since it's close to a tree they probably sprouted up and it was pretty much impossible making any headway w/ just a shovel so thats why i got the cultivator.

it works amazing actually, turns the compacted compost into particles in a second and rips through the roots like nuttin

i did notice after 2 bars of battery i smelled something, and i knew that smell, it was electronics, so the motor was smoking, my 40v ryobi is old so i guess this is where a nice brushless would come in handy.

anyway i plan to use it for my garden, so it's not bad.

Daidraco

so i also got this cultivator
1d9cb13a9bac3402fbeba36a5d2153f6.png

i did not feel the need to get the bigger ones, and i knew i wanted to just get an attachment for my robi 40v anyway.

so i was breaking up my compost pile and i just kept on hitting roots and roots, so i'm guessing since it's close to a tree they probably sprouted up and it was pretty much impossible making any headway w/ just a shovel so thats why i got the cultivator.

it works amazing actually, turns the compacted compost into particles in a second and rips through the roots like nuttin

i did notice after 2 bars of battery i smelled something, and i knew that smell, it was electronics, so the motor was smoking, my 40v ryobi is old so i guess this is where a nice brushless would come in handy.

anyway i plan to use it for my garden, so it's not bad.
I cant imagine using that thing for any significant amount of time. But if its just small jobs, Im sure its perfect. I've wanted one of the gas ones for a while, but I know myself well enough to know I'd never fool with any of that shit.