Home Improvement

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Older houses don't have the extra wiring needed for smart thermostats, I had to run my own wire for my ecobee
I meant for just a normal thermostat. I’d replace a battery smart thermostat in a heartbeat, fuck that.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So we don't have a C-wire hooked up to ours, meaning it uses the hvac wiring to recharge the battery, but that takes a long time, so if the Nest is constantly running there is a period of time whereby it needs to shut down completely and re-charge...
We also have radiant floor heating in our house, so each individual room has its own thermostat. The Nest only controls the A/C to the upstairs. When they installed it they probably believed that you didn't need the C-wire, but as the article below says... you don't need it until you do.

Our house was built in the 60s. Our old house, same thing. We didn't have a C-wire running to our thermostat so I never bought a Nest.

edit: from the article, this is exactly what happened to us which caused the A/C to overheat:

In this case, Nest will very briefly attempt to draw power from your HVAC system on its own. Some users call this “power stealing”. The Nest only “power steals” when the HVAC system is off, and it stops when the system is on. This call for power is meant to be brief and undetected, a tiny “pulse”, but some systems are very sensitive and see the Nest’s small power draw as a call to turn on. Of course, once the system is on then the Nest stops its attempt to charge itself and the furnace or AC turns off again, but then the Nest is still low battery so starts to draw power again. The end result is a furnace or A/C in a loop of rapidly turning on and off.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
We were running 18/8 for thermostats back in the '90s.

Not sure if some of you just live in old homes, or the electricians who wired your shit were cheap as fuck.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
so what's wrong with a faucet when it is slow to turn off? It doesn't leak but it's like a 70yr old man taking a piss as it dribbles out before completely turning off.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
so what's wrong with a faucet when it is slow to turn off? It doesn't leak but it's like a 70yr old man taking a piss as it dribbles out before completely turning off.
When we had this issue, removing the lose scale from the aerator fixed it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
When we had this issue, removing the lose scale from the aerator fixed it.
I'll try this now since that is quick and easy. If that doesn't work I could replace the stem cartridge as well. Challenge there would be finding the right one. I installed this faucet 16yrs ago.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
My kitchen faucet has had the same issue for a while now. One day I noticed there's a tiny pinhole on the top of the faucet. I assume someone left a rag soaked with something corrosive and it ate through the top of the faucet. I haven't bothered to seal the pinhole or replace the faucet yet.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
the house i'm bidding on (i'm bidding on 3 actually) is 1990s and has this huge ass ac unit
b675d0c8e0bf83dc4a27ef1ad0d00f05.jpg

and right next to it, is the one i'm used to seeing
b356e55c452d3c09816703c1bb954acb.png

i thought one replaced the other, but they both look in good condition.

then i check the break and it fucking connects the small one is for the top and the huge one is for the living room.

jesus, looks like i'm gonna actually switch it up and use the ecobee and have like 4 sensors

how would one thermostat even control 2 units like that? (or just 2 thermstats in the house? didn't see one on the top floor but wasn't looking) i gotta go check on the wiring online.

Thaloc

Molten Core Raider
the house i'm bidding on (i'm bidding on 3 actually) is 1990s and has this huge ass ac unit
b675d0c8e0bf83dc4a27ef1ad0d00f05.jpg

and right next to it, is the one i'm used to seeing
b356e55c452d3c09816703c1bb954acb.png

i thought one replaced the other, but they both look in good condition.

then i check the break and it fucking connects the small one is for the top and the huge one is for the living room.

jesus, looks like i'm gonna actually switch it up and use the ecobee and have like 4 sensors

how would one thermostat even control 2 units like that? (or just 2 thermstats in the house? didn't see one on the top floor but wasn't looking) i gotta go check on the wiring online.
Sounds like you have separate systems for upstairs and down, you'll want separate stats for each. Lot of guys like ecobee and nest, do not recommend nest as even with a common installed they fail in lots of weird ways.

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
Sounds like you have separate systems for upstairs and down, you'll want separate stats for each. Lot of guys like ecobee and nest, do not recommend nest as even with a common installed they fail in lots of weird ways.
On the other hand, I’ve had a Nest for ~ 8 years and it’s rock solid. I highly recommend it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
well that house fell through, but i think i'll be playing with an ecobee instead of getting a sensi again

these look interesting
5ca207d17621384919c1c1ef9fdc4c35.png

to control all the rooms.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Any recommendations for a battery powered mowers? My new yard is much smaller than my old one, so no doubt I could do it on a single 60 minute charge.

My old one is almost 10 years old and is starting to shit the bed... replaced the spark plug so not sure if I fucked it by putting old gas in it or what the problem is, but I'm thinking I need a new one.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
We dont talk but my neighbor has one but its a plug in, he uses extension cord, lol. Also puts on ear protection for a mower that is near silent. This is why we dont talk, lol.

IDK but the 40 volt ryobi looks sexy. Supposed 1/2 acre on the top model.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I had a 40v kobalt, was okay if you kept up but was under powered if you had higher/thicker grass in which case I'd look at the 80v lines

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Any recommendations for a battery powered mowers? My new yard is much smaller than my old one, so no doubt I could do it on a single 60 minute charge.

My old one is almost 10 years old and is starting to shit the bed... replaced the spark plug so not sure if I fucked it by putting old gas in it or what the problem is, but I'm thinking I need a new one.
Friend has the Greenworks 80v and loves it. I haven’t used it but trust his judgement on stuff like that, we’re pretty similar in our expectations.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
or just buy a $400 gas powered Honda like I did last year from Amazon, lol.
I upgraded from my 40v kobalt to a gas Honda and it was a huge upgrade. And gas mowers have come quite a ways since I was younger and getting a workout just trying to pull start it. Starts on first pull and eats through everything. And being a Honda it should last forever with just basic maintenance and cleaning.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
We dont talk but my neighbor has one but its a plug in, he uses extension cord, lol. Also puts on ear protection for a mower that is near silent. This is why we dont talk, lol.

IDK but the 40 volt ryobi looks sexy. Supposed 1/2 acre on the top model.
The first year we had a house my dad gave me his electric mower that used a cord. It sucked so bad having to flip that cord out of your way. You got a pattern down where you didn’t have to do it a lot but it was unavoidable eventually.

Bought a gas mower the next year and it’s been running ever since with no problems. Craftsman with a Briggs Stratton engine. All I’ve done in 13 years is adding oil, changed the air filter a couple times. Replaced the back wheels at like ~$15 each when the plastic gears broke.

If it dies I will probably try the Greenworks 80v, just because I’m already in their line so why not. It doesn’t seem like it’s going to ever die though. The body has no rust on it still. Starts on first pull still.